Field Command 2 : Choose Battle (Please read before you vote)

• '10

BATTLE VOTE

CHOOSE YOUR BATTLES WISELY!

Following the successful launch of our Field Command series in November last year, many of our gamers have asked us when will our next Field Command game be developed.

The good news is that we, at WorldsForge, are just as excited about the next Field Command game as you are. In line with our philosophy of involving our gamers as much as possible, we would like you to indicate your preference for the next game in our Field Command series.

FIELD COMMAND: MILNE BAY 1942
    “It was the Australian soldiers who first broke the spell of the invincibility of the Japanese Army.”

Codename : Operation RE
    Period : 25 August 1942 to 7 September 1942
    Field Commanders : Cyril Clowes (Australia) Shojiro Hayashi (Japan) Minoru Yano (Japan)

This battle was fought by the Japanese to capture the newly constructed airfields at Milne Bay from the Australians to provide air and naval support for the Japanese Kokoda Track campaign to take Port Moresby, New Guinea. The Japanese committed a small, but elite force of Special Naval Landing Forces (essentially Japanese marines), while the Allied force was about 5 times larger, although half were non-combat personnel.

FIELD COMMAND: PELELIU 1944 
    “Our sword is broken and we have run out of spears.”

Codename : Operation Stalemate II
    Period : 15 September 1944 to 27 November 1944
    Field Commanders : William H. Rupertus (US) Kunio Nakagawa (Japan)

This battle was fought by the US to capture the airstrip on this small coral island and to protect the right flank of the US Army’s strategy to retake the Philippines. The US 1st Marine Division Commander, Major General William Rupertus, had predicted a short 4-day battle. Unbeknownst to the US, the Japanese Imperial Army had developed an entirely new island defence strategy following their land defeats in the Solomons, Gilberts, Marshalls and Marianas. This strategy called for inter-linked fortifications inland rather than beach defences and suicidal banzai charges. Colonel Kunio Nakagawa, commander of the 2nd Regiment of the 14th Infantry Division led the defence preparations with 11,000 men. The strongest resistance was centred around Umurbrogol mountain, also known as Bloody Nose Ridge, which was captured only after two-&-a-half months of bitter fighting.

FIELD COMMAND: IWO JIMA 1945
    “Among the Americans who served on Iwo , uncommon valour was a common virtue.”

Codename : Operation Detachment
    Period : 19 February 1945 to 26 March 26 1945
    Field Commanders : Tadamichi Kuribayashi (Japan) Holland Smith (US) Marc Mitscher (US)

This battle was fought by the US to capture the two airfields on Iwo Jima as a stepping stone to an invasion of Japan. The Japanese focused fully on in-depth static defence, even using their tanks in immobile and entrenched positions as artillery pieces. Following an intense naval bombardment & bombing, the landings started out in eerie silence, which was a deliberate plan by the Japanese Commander, Lieutenant General Tadamichi Kuribayashi, to wait until the beaches were filled with US troops and equipment. In fact, the Japanese heavy artillery positions were fortified within Suribachi mountain behind heavy steel doors that were virtually impenetrable to return fire. Japanese positions were inter-connected such that cleared bunkers and pillboxes quickly became hostile again. As their supplies ran out, the Japanese became increasing desperate and most fought to the death.

PLEASE VOTE for the NEXT Field Command Game you would like to see from WorldsForge

• All those sound great, i voted for Peleiu, but i really like the Milne Bay idea aswell. Iwo Jima would be good too aslong as it is exciting and not just a dice fest where marines slowly advance across the inland.

I didnt play it but i thaught the idea for the first field command game was pretty weird. Historicaly the commonwealth had no chance of holding singapore after malaya fell. I would rather have seen a game that covered the entire malaya invasion.

• Emperor,

Remember WorldsForge is based in Singapore  :-)

Voted for Peleliu.

• I wish they did an invasion of China game so players can see how impossible it was for Japan to entirely occupy China, let alone drive old school tanks thru rugged terrain without logistics 4,000 miles to attack Moscow from the east…

• @Imperious:

I wish they did an invasion of China game so players can see how impossible it was for Japan to entirely occupy China, let alone drive old school tanks thru rugged terrain without logistics 4,000 miles to attack Moscow from the east…

hmmm somehow they missed that option!

Kinda surprising from the guys that offer you the chance to “command at the worst disaster in British military history!”  You’d think that’d be right up their alley

• At least they are giving us a chance to choose, WOTC are you listening? Doubt it…anyways i chose Peleliu.

• I wish a choice would be Midway… but with any luck we will get ships too.

• '10

@Imperious:

I wish a choice would be Midway… but with any luck we will get ships too.

That would be cool, but the Field Command Combat system is for Land Combat…  with Air and Artillery support.  I think it would be a good idea to also have Naval support in this next game.

• Thanks, Field Marshal Games, for putting this up.

If you would like to vote for more than one battle or have an alternative suggestion, pls visit the WorldsForge voting page at: http://www.worldsforge.com/fieldcommand/fc2_vote.php

The poll will close on 15 Aug 2010 (Sun) after which we will begin preliminary research & development.

And yes, we definitely welcome any views on what you would like to see in our next game.

Yik Lin
    WORLDSFORGE

• Yik Lin - I have one idea for your product that may help it sell better.

Could you match the countries’ color scheme to line up with the Axis & Allies series? In other words, British/Tan, US/Green, etc.

Such alignment with a globally popular game can only help to expand your sales. Let me know what you think.

• Yes i agree 100%. Its a simple move and makes it work for other purposes.

Also the planes and tanks need to be in line to AA standard ( planes larger, tanks smaller)

And to save money on the special units ( ones that have red paint on base) just use a counter that you place under the unit to indicate elite status.

• Exactly as Imperious Leadear suggested - he was able to articulate what I thought was the best move.

Let us know, if you can - this really means a lot to us!

• I wish both of these companies could work together…

They could make the new ANZAC pieces and Japanese as well as ? and take some of the burden from FMG.

Then both make common games that appeal to mass market.

The Singapore company could make a new pacific game ( with ships)
    FMG could make a Europe game

• Fmg why are you centered on the pacific, do get me wrong I love your knew idea but will you ever do any Europe or is field command a pacific game.

• FMG has nothing to do with this series - he is just the distributor.

The manufacturer, WorldsForge, is based in Singapore - hence the Pacific influence.

• '10

@reloader-1:

FMG has nothing to do with this series - he is just the distributor.

The manufacturer, WorldsForge, is based in Singapore - hence the Pacific influence.

This is correct.  FMG is the North American Distributor for WF.  We are just doing all we can to promote this great series that we enjoyed emensley.  The quality of these games is the highest I have ever seen in a board game.

• '10

bump We need more votes!

(This was posted on the AAAmini forum and had 120 views with only 5 votes! We need more input please.  Vote if you have not)

• I will say this for the second time. I would like all three.

• Part of this lack of votes is probably referring to the fact that these games are really niche topics.

These chaps in Singapore love these small battle games, but the universal truth is people want the larger battles. They want Barbarossa, African Campaign, Midway.

Second the game system is a bit different and the maps are ‘different’

If they want to go large they have to do games with battles that are large.

Leyte Gulf is kinda near Singapore… perhaps since they already made Australian pieces… they could do an “invasion of Australia” game

All i can tell you is aside from some nice pieces, that last game does not get me wanting to replay the game too much… because of the topic is so narrow.

• I voted for Iwo Jima, but actually I would much prefer Guadalcanal because of the terrific struggle for control of the sea lanes, the major supply issues for both sides, etc.  I also wouldn’t mind a game that simulated the British/Japanese struggles in Burma.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m