• Good at maneuvering/positioning pieces.
    I’ve mainly played Pacific 1940, where this skill is the most important, especially in the naval war. Specifically, a good A&A player will know where to position blockers and main fleets to the optimal advantage. He will also move his units in a way that most efficiently achieves the objectives. This also included not being distracted by small ships that aren’t threatening, and the ability to tell when they are.

• '12

Gamerman, you make an excellent point about positional value of a piece.  The Unitied States trading infantry with Japan in Persia when Japan builds them in say French indo-china or worse India is a tougher sell when you think that Infantry’s journey entailed.  First the huge fleet investment to get him across the Atlantic, but lets start.  Build on US1, US2 to Gbr, US3 algeria if you are lucky, US4, US5, US6 finally in Trans-jordan.  Round 7, killed in a 1 for 1 trade with Japan.  Much better to use that infantry to attrit against germany, or at least newly built units, those advance units whose journey was long and arduous should be conserved and put into advanced positions for use in a more tactical situation or to generate additional options.  You ever notice how just 1-2 units combined with some airpower can open up all kinds of doors for your allies to exploit like taking over a frontline territory to be used as a landing base for maurading allied air-units?

• @Dylan:

@SAS:

Somehow that doesn’t fit my definition of a “great” A&A player. :roll:  Diversion and subterfuge (such as trying to distract them so they don’t think too much about what you’re doing) are strategic tools to be used, but childish tricks are dishonorable. :x 8-)

I’m sure Stalin threw dice at Hitler  :-D

nono, stalin taunted hitler with his bigger mustache ^^

• '12

I think we should qualify that question a bit.  A good player face-to-face with the distractions of real life or somebody who can ponder moves in a PBEM scenario.  Yesterday I played a game face-to-face so there were time constraints for moves.  My foe having a wife and kids has few opportunities to play and limited time so we attempt to rapid fire moves, laying out your builds while he is doing his turn.  This also introduces the element of bluff.  Lay out some subs and bombers then build infantry when he has finished his turn!  With time constraints we rarely use a simulator and tend to forget those lone subs off in the corners of the world especially since that beautiful map by IL is so HUGE!

Of course my friend is far more cultured then I.  I appreciate his attemts to edify me on the topics of fine beers, wines and whiskeys/ryes.  Of coure since i am host and he must drive back to his town he is rather generous in his offerings while being rather moderate in his consumptions.  I have the further distraction of entertaining my girlfriend and ensuring she has movies to watch and music to listen to.  However, she likes to suntan and always seems to be wearing her bikini.  She used to be a stripper and still has the wiggle, I think its a bit more distracting to him.  I mean his wife is hot too butt……

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

I like eveything I have seen here.

I would add, or emphasize, that an important specific quality is opportunism/risk taking. Getting that feeling, or just knowing through experience, that now is the best time to do something… or the ability to be patient and extend your options. More often than not, it is better to strike early than late. Rarely is a window open for more than a turn… afterwards it is closed up or had moved to a new position. Knowing when to act, and with what, is a very important management quality. This may involve taking risks… only in extreme circumstances should that risk jeporadize your own survival… but one needs to have the feel for what is a worthy risk at the time. This element can drastically unseat your opponent or gain you needed objectives more quickly… if exercized successfully.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Also…
    All units are expendable, if the expenditure accomplishes something. Most units will be expended, but the challenge is to have them go in a way that they gave their money’s worth. Another important aspect of the game, which should be apparrent to a veteran player, or one with intelligence, is shielding of units. Some units (the more expensive ones) need to be protected by the less expensive ones. Infantry need to take hits for tanks, Destroyers and Cruisers should take hits for carriers… etc. Being able to scrape your expensive and better units out of a fight is essential for continuing operations and saving money. Make your enemy bleed more than you do.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m