What do you want to be the next AA game?

• Kursk and El-Alamein are my picks. These games would use a modfied version of the BOTB rules.

Stalingrad would be a hard one to do since it lasted forever. Rules similar too Gaudacanal would have to be used.

I also really like the Battle of France idea, particularly if it came with new French and German tank molds.

I dont like the mini-front ideas. It would just blowup sections of the current game but not any of the tactical or opertional considerations that a battle/campaign focused game would have.

Also how about a good computer version of A&A with online multiplayer and modding tools.

• Good online A&A?  Try Triplea

• @BJCard:

Good online A&A?  Try Triplea

I wouldnt call Triplea good, its so basic. The graphics are 2d and there is no music. The controls and interface could be better too. There is a difference between functional and good. The AI is terrible aswell if you want to play against bots. Playing triplea dosnt make me feel like I am commanding a nation at war like the board game does. It should have a more WW2 atmosphere and not just the raw mechanics of A&A.

• Battle of the Atlantic would be neato. But would we visit the river plate? When would it start? What kind of victory conditions are we looking at?

• @Emperor_Taiki:

@BJCard:

Good online A&A?  Try Triplea

I wouldnt call Triplea good, its so basic. The graphics are 2d and there is no music. The controls and interface could be better too. There is a difference between functional and good. The AI is terrible aswell if you want to play against bots. Playing triplea dosnt make me feel like I am commanding a nation at war like the board game does. It should have a more WW2 atmosphere and not just the raw mechanics of A&A.

I couldnt agree more!! I used to love playing the orignal A&A pc game. When Pacific and Europe came out years ago I was waiting for a pc game to follow. I think with the new Europe and Pacific games out it would awesome to see a Global PC game for them like the original one.

• I know what you are saying about music and ‘feel’ of playing a WW2 game, and the AI isn’t so good- but the AI isn’t good in ANY strategy game of this scope.  You play Triplea to play online against real people.  I’ve played 3v3 AA50 on there and its a blast.  Want music?  Play your own mp3s.

The old A&A PC game was very basic-  I could never play classic again.  “where are my Destroyers, Artillery?” “Why do my tanks defend on a 2?”  "Battleships are one hit?’

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Croesus:

Battle of the Atlantic would be neato. But would we visit the river plate? When would it start? What kind of victory conditions are we looking at?

River Plate? As in, you are questioning whether the game would extend to the South American coast? Or are you just looking for some River Plate Battle incorporated into it. River Plate was way too small to bother with in my opinion… I mean, perhaps they’d have a ship or two down there, but I doubt there would be a one-to-one representation of ships… it’s just way too small.

• The Battle of Monte Cassino

• @BJCard:

I know what you are saying about music and ‘feel’ of playing a WW2 game, and the AI isn’t so good- but the AI isn’t good in ANY strategy game of this scope.  You play Triplea to play online against real people.  I’ve played 3v3 AA50 on there and its a blast.  Want music?  Play your own mp3s.

The old A&A PC game was very basic-  I could never play classic again.  “where are my Destroyers, Artillery?” “Why do my tanks defend on a 2?”  "Battleships are one hit?’

There are plenty of strategy games with better AI than triplea, and for games that are much more complicated, Civilization for example. The graphics and interface are ugly, and i shouldn’t have to navigate between the game I am playing and the itunes window too listen to music in my game.  Triplea is functional for playing raw A&A online. Nothing about it goes beyond the mechanics of the board game, its not good.

The old PC A&A also had marines which i miss.

• @Croesus:

Battle of the Atlantic would be neato. But would we visit the river plate? When would it start? What kind of victory conditions are we looking at?

AAE40 should cover the atlantic well. But it would be cool to have a dedicated battle of the atlantic game with sub pens and other cool stuff.

I say Stalingrad, even if it won’t happen. That is my vote.

• @Emperor_Taiki:

@BJCard:

I know what you are saying about music and ‘feel’ of playing a WW2 game, and the AI isn’t so good- but the AI isn’t good in ANY strategy game of this scope.  You play Triplea to play online against real people.  I’ve played 3v3 AA50 on there and its a blast.  Want music?  Play your own mp3s.

There are plenty of strategy games with better AI than triplea, and for games that are much more complicated, Civilization for example. The graphics and interface are ugly, and i shouldn’t have to navigate between the game I am playing and the itunes window too listen to music in my game.  Triplea is functional for playing raw A&A online. Nothing about it goes beyond the mechanics of the board game, its not good.

The old PC A&A also had marines which i miss.

I understand what you are saying, but the AI in Civ isn’t exactly groundbreaking.  It cheats so the player has a harder time.  I was talking more about the Total War games and Hearts of Iron games.  Not exactly HAL 1000 there.  But then again, these games are playable vs. the AI when Triplea is not. 
    Triplea has marines by the way- and LOTS of user created maps/units.  WWI game? Check. Napoleonic game? Check.  Civil War game? Check.  Literally dozens of playable maps. 
    As far as interface goes, well you are right- it isn’t the best.  Triplea has undergone a lot of changes recently, but I guess if interface/graphics/in-game music is your thing, then Civ is for you.  If you want to play Axis & Allies style games when you don’t have friends over, play triplea (Most of the time it is my only outlet for playing Axis & Allies-  Play by forum using AABattlemap?  ugh, what an ugly program).

Anyway, I’m not trying to argue with you, but a lot of people put down triplea when they hadn’t even played it in a couple years (in which time has gotten a lot better).  Now, you may have played it more recently and don’t like it.  I can respect that.  We can agree to disagree.

• Yah I am not trying to to start a fight either, and i am not saying triplea lacks modability. But dont you think it would be great for a profesional level A&A computer game? Ive play triplea and like I said its functional, but it dosnt qualify as good or great until it uses all the advantages of a computer. With its current graphics its like playing the A&A with paper peices instead of plastic molds.

• I agree-  It would be cool if there were another, newer commercial version of A&A- but only if it was as moddable as Triplea.

• '10

I know that it will be a North Africa game because I am in the process of creating it myself. Just got the map and currently working up a list of units and values for D-12 dice.

• @Fishmoto37:

I know that it will be a North Africa game because I am in the process of creating it myself. Just got the map and currently working up a list of units and values for D-12 dice.

You are creating it yourself?

• '10

@BJCard:

@Fishmoto37:

You are creating it yourself?

Yes I am. Got the map from IronDukes post on House rules.

• I’d like to see a World War I version called “Central & Entente”.
    The board would be only from the Eastern US to Western Russia, and it would be England, France, and Russia vs. Germany, Austria-Hungary, and the Ottomans.  After a specified turn, Russia would drop out of the game and the USA would come into it.

There would be only infantry, artillery, biplane/triplane fighters, battleships, cruisers, destroyers and U-boats.
    Tanks, derigible bombers, and carriers would be techs, as would mustard gas. 
    The board would be as large as the combined Global 1940 game but would focus mainly on Europe, and use the basic A&A combat system.

I’d totally ignore China and Japan and leave that whole side of the board off.

@robbie358:

The board would be as large as the combined Global 1940 game but would focus mainly on Europe, and use the basic A&A combat system.

Ouch… that is gigantic for only involving Europe. I would think that if they were to do something like this, it would be smaller first. And then, as popularity dictates, develop into a larger game.

Still… a Global 40 size is ungodly for a WWI game.

• @robbie358:

I’d like to see a World War I version called “Central & Entente”.
    The board would be only from the Eastern US to Western Russia, and it would be England, France, and Russia vs. Germany, Austria-Hungary, and the Ottomans.  After a specified turn, Russia would drop out of the game and the USA would come into it.

There would be only infantry, artillery, biplane/triplane fighters, battleships, cruisers, destroyers and U-boats.
    Tanks, derigible bombers, and carriers would be techs, as would mustard gas. 

I’d totally ignore China and Japan and leave that whole side of the board off.

Anyways that’s a great idea, but what about Italy do they get any type of rule, and the Balkans area. Also when would it start?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m