• If you cherish accuracy then the Allies win on the 18th turn.

• '12

Well put.  I have a game called Squad Leader, I think it was voted war game of the year around 1982.  A large 80 page rule book of small print, hex map, lots of rules, all kinds of different strength units, lots of rules.  I don’t think I ever played it.  I am sure its very accurate for squad level combat in the soviet/german battles in the ruins of russian cities.  Oh yeah, smoke screens, limited fields of fire and view…you get the point.

• If you cherish accuracy then the Allies win on the 18th turn.

So what!
    I played 1939 World at war game. (60 pages rules).
    We start to play at 11 am and finish our games late during the night, sometimes early in the morning.
    If you love to play a 3 hours game, fine….for myself I cherish 12 hours games….

• @crusaderiv:

P51 was introduced in 1943. 88 canon appears early in the war.
    I prefer accuracy before balanced game.
    Anyway, in all A&A game, the advantage in on the Allies side.

true it was introduced later… that being the case the japanese should have Zero’s, and the british should have spitfires.  there are many examples of how some units are better across all nations
    If you prefer accuracy over balanced game play then you prefer the allies winning over the axis.  yet you want to improve the axis and not the allies.  though i see the merit in “Accuracy”…this game represents a specific point in the war “Spring 1942” and basically the games purpose is to simulate the war after that point.  not to necessarily keep accuracy throughout the game. 
    I tend to think that this map is very balanced, of course it depends on the strategy utilized on both sides

• '12

If you want accuracy, you would need to introduce the concept of units ‘breaking’ and running before they are destroyed.  Squad Leader (Avalong Hill 1977) had this, some squads keep fighting when they are down 50% strength, others ‘break’ and run when damage hits 10%.  Of course each of the existing units when they need variable strengths compared to other nations units.  This would require a switch to dice with a greater range of values, I’d say minimum 10 sides, but lets use 2 10 sided like AD&D.  No way a soviet or german tank unit fights the same way as an allied unit.  The way the allies fought german tanks was using a squad of 4 allied versus a german tank.  It starts like this, the first allied tanks lights up like a torch and the remaining three start to manouver around the german as its turret rotated a bit slow.  So, allied tank #2 then #3 light up in flames and the 4th allied tank gets in behind the german and lets loose at point blank range in the poorly armoured rear of the German and manages to disable it.

New units would not fight as well as vetern units of course so you would have to keep track of the age of each unit then modify its combat values based on just aging and also exposure to combat.  Yeah cool, way more accurate, of course each countries turn would take a few hours and we would have to go back to cardboard units with the 3-4 % values representing the units abilities.  We would need zillions of these units for each combination of values.

In ‘set-piece’ battles the Japanese were getting slaughtered against the US.  Perhaps it because by 1943 the US was producing as many machineguns per month as the Japanese produced during the entire war.  I think the Japs having never faced trench warfare and the futility of charging into massed machineguns had no concpet with this type of warefare.  Moreover, the Japs never seemed to retreat so they had little ablity to learn lessons as nobody came back to HQ with information on what they faced.  I would think for accuracy this would have to be represent also with different strencth units.

Personally, I think AA has found a pretty good balance of accuracy and playability.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m