• Do anyone have an almost always winning chess strategy.

• There are none. There are many different openings and responses to them. For example, look at the matches of the World Chess Championships, which took place in May

• What is the most undervalued piece on the chess board?

• @ABWorsham:

What is the most undervalued piece on the chess board?

Pawn

• @ABWorsham:

Assuming other then the pawn I would say the knight (thats my opinon though.)

• I am a typical E4 player as white and play Najdorf Sicilian.

If i am black and he plays a 1.D4, then i usually play French defense, or Scotch ( which Kasparov played very well in his 1985 matches against karpov)

But usually i prefer the karpov system of positional strangulation of enemy movement. I play for a small incremental positional advantage that i can exploit for a material advantage.

I have not played since like 2002, but i used to compete in Tournaments.

Their is not secret to winning in Chess, except to know some openings and their tactical variations and good combinations in the end game. King and Pawn endings are very important to understand

• @Dylan:

@ABWorsham:

The knight is good in a closed game, while the bishop is good in an open game.

• @Brain:

@Dylan:

@ABWorsham:

What’s a closed and open game?

• @Dylan:

@Brain:

@Dylan:

@ABWorsham:

What’s a closed and open game?

Closed game has lots of pawns blocking the center; open doesn’t

• I like to play chess. Unfortunately, I don’t find too many people good at chess to play  :cry:. I would like to know what is good when it gets down to kings and pawns though. I don’t really know all these fancy names. I generally play with a partial pyramid with a castle to protect the king. I used to play full pyramid but I find that it leaves to king too vulnerable.

• @Wilson2:

I like to play chess. Unfortunately, I don’t find too many people good at chess to play  :cry:. I would like to know what is good when it gets down to kings and pawns though. I don’t really know all these fancy names. I generally play with a partial pyramid with a castle to protect the king. I used to play full pyramid but I find that it leaves to king too vulnerable.

We can play a game. There’s chess on ABatllemap

• Closed game is when the center is blocked by pawn chains and becomes a positional game.

Open game is usually latter when exchanges disrupt the pawn chain creating pawn islands that open the files for rooks and bishops to make combinations possible.

• Why is the pawn important? I was always taught that its not killing thats important in chess. Its threatening the most amount of squares. I too played in tournaments and treated the pawn as you would a disposable clickable pen.

• The central pawns are most important. They establish the control of center with the smallest means possible. The hyper-modern chess theorists ( say after Nimzowitsch) of the 1940’ s and 1950’s in some cases advocated less importance on them.  As the game wages on the pawns on the wings grow in strength, but in the opening and middle game they are very important.

You do not want many pawn islands or backward pawns or isolated pawns, these can deteriorate your position and cause a lost game.

Sometimes you can create what is called a “poison pawn”, which is a tactic of offering material in exchange of positional advantage. It can be accepted or declined. In many cases its a pitfall to take the pawn if the other player knows how to capitalize on his new position.

If you lose your pawns in the center you over burden your other pieces and this can cause you to lose a better piece.

Also, never move your pawns that protect your castled king. in the endgame, your king grows in importance and will take the stage and move to the center and attempt to get a passed pawn.

Also the central pawns can anchor your other pieces ( knight and Bishop) and protect them too.

Lastly, you usually want to capture toward the center of the board to stabilize your control over the central squares.

• @Imperious:

Closed game is when the center is blocked by pawn chains and becomes a positional game.

Open game is usually latter when exchanges disrupt the pawn chain creating pawn islands that open the files for rooks and bishops to make combinations possible.

Hmmm. I see, well I thought the setup went like this…

8 pawns in front row
    Rook, Knight, Bishop, Queen or king, Q or K, Bishop, Knight, Rook

• @Dylan:

@Imperious:

Closed game is when the center is blocked by pawn chains and becomes a positional game.

8 pawns in front row

:? Dude, that wasn’t funny. Especially when he’s taking time to give information that can be found quite easily with a Goggle search or a trip to the library. Chess requires study and practice just to rise to the mere level of competence. There is no ‘I win’ card, stick to Pokemon if you’re looking for that.

• @frimmel:

@Dylan:

@Imperious:

8 pawns in front row

:? Dude, that wasn’t funny. Especially when he’s taking time to give information that can be found quite easily with a Goggle search or a trip to the library. Chess requires study and practice just to rise to the mere level of competence. There is no ‘I win’ card, stick to Pokemon if you’re looking for that.

So am I right or wrong?

• @Dylan:

@frimmel:

@Dylan:

@Imperious:

8 pawns in front row

So am I right or wrong?

:-o Wait. You don’t even know how to play?

• no troll you are not right. Go back to 4chan where you are considered normal

• Anyway, Have you ever tried using the knights first instead of the pawns? you move less pieces, and they can out maneuver the pawns as well

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m