• Knight and Queen is the most potent duo.

Bishops get stronger in open positions, by comparison a Bishop is worth 3.5 and a Knight is worth 3.

Queen is worth 9

• @idk_iam_swiss:

Are Bishops more of a supportive piece? They always seem to get in the way for me.

You need to learn the difference between a good bishop and a bad bishop, a developed bishop and an undeveloped bishop.

• Well i know those ones. but i dont know how to use them correctly without getting them killed.

Ive never used the knights with the queen i will try that!

• A good Bishop is one that is not impeded by your own pawn chain and it can move and attack the enemy pawns.

A bad Bishop is one that is closed off from either because your own pawns are on the same color squares as your Bishop, or the enemy has his pawn chain established on opposite squares as your Bishop.

You want to exchange a bad Bishop for a good bishop or a better enemy piece. Also if he has a forward centralized knight you want to exchange and especially if his Queen is still in play.

• @Brain:

@idk_iam_swiss:

Are Bishops more of a supportive piece? They always seem to get in the way for me.

You need to learn the difference between a good bishop and a bad bishop, a developed bishop and an undeveloped bishop.

I thought we were to avoid talking religion.  lol

• How would I effectively use the rook? Most of the time its a late game piece that I use to finish the game. Is there any other purpose for it?

• Usually they are both posted to the same open file. A pawn/rook ending is not too uncommon.

Use them to support a passed pawn opportunity

and remember the term “Seventh Rank Absolute” which coined also by Nimzovich the hyper-modern chess player. It forces the enemy king to the back rank, which in the end game is very poor for him.

It also allows you to attack his pawn chain usually by the rear.

• Thats it though? they are a supportive peice? I dont like thinking defensively in chess. I think you need to threaten as much land as possible. Of the utmost importance is the center 4 squares. how do you usually play?

• Well i received training from Levon Altounian who was the state champion and Edward Gufeld who played against Fischer ( he passed a number of years ago)

You need to find your own style, but only after you soak in the ideas from the great masters. I play alot like karpov, but studied Alekhine and Casablanca and others.

I watched world Championships and even spent a week watching Victor Korchnoi play ( he fought Karpov for world championship in the 70’s)

You have to study the openings and how the GM’s played them and learn the lines of play.

Go find a chess club in your area and start playing, or look for coffee shops where chess players play at night.

You can get a computer or software ( Fritz and others)

• The computer is so much better then any person player. I hate playing against a computer!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m