AAG40 map vs. ILs new 39 global MAP

• Has anyone compared AAG map with ILs 39 global map?
    Its not cheap to have ILs map printed out. neither is purchesing AAP40 and AAE40. Cant afford to do both, which is better?

• Well, IL has 2 Alaskan territories, and many more Russian ones. Since an Alaska invasion is unlikely, it depends how many Russia tt you want. I think his rules are different: for example, you can build a minor factory anywhere with at least 1 ipc

• IL should be here shortly to market his map :lol:

• My project is different. Its 39 and its historical based on the actual forces and economic capabilities using Mark Harrison’s numbers.

It also has different rules and goals and no NO’s and new technologies.

But it is balanced. To me AAP40 has a ridiculous set up and i can assume AAG40 will have something similar.

• @Imperious:

My project is different. Its 39 and its historical based on the actual forces and economic capabilities using Mark Harrison’s numbers.

But it is balanced. To me AAP40 has a ridiculous set up and i can assume AAG40 will have something similar.

Does being both historical and balanced imply that the axis had just a good a chance of winning the war?

• @Imperious:

My project is different. Its 39 and its historical based on the actual forces and economic capabilities using Mark Harrison’s numbers.

Could you link me to your rules/setup?

• go to the thread in house rules

• Il, you really should starting a buisness or at least work for a company, i would buy your games

• IL, do you ever actually play the games released by them, or do you just use them as a basis to make your own games?

• Interesting stuff, I need to check out his version of the game.

• After seeing the pics of AAG40 so far, i think ILs map might be better and offer a more interesting game. i like the oil centers, big part of the game. i thing he has more tt in RUSSIA, awwesome. the only think i dont like(sorry IL) is that there is only 2 SZ from eastern US to BRITIAN and only  one SZ that connects ITALY to NORTH AFRICA. i know he designed his game this way for specific reasons, but that bothers me. i want USA challenged in ATLANTIC in bringing troops across. same with ITALY/GERMANY in MED. AAG40 does seem to offer that. 5 SZ between US and BRITAIN, 2 SZ between ITALY and NORTH AFRICA.

• At least with IL you wont get pathetic mistakes like WOTC seems to be making. Even if i decided to get AAE40, i would wait to see what the mistakes are. They are not going to use me and my hard earned money as a guinea pig , and sorry ill fix ya later. big bucks to spend here its got to be right

• @lnmajor:

After seeing the pics of AAG40 so far, i think ILs map might be better and offer a more interesting game. i like the oil centers, big part of the game. i thing he has more tt in RUSSIA, awwesome. the only think i dont like(sorry IL) is that there is only 2 SZ from eastern US to BRITIAN and only  one SZ that connects ITALY to NORTH AFRICA. i know he designed his game this way for specific reasons, but that bothers me. i want USA challenged in ATLANTIC in bringing troops across. same with ITALY/GERMANY in MED. AAG40 does seem to offer that. 5 SZ between US and BRITAIN, 2 SZ between ITALY and NORTH AFRICA.

Does IL’s game have Naval Bases?

• any game can have naval bases. just implement that rule into your game. i borrow rules from all types of AA varients. if its a good rule and plays well use it, why not? if i didnt do that i would still be playing MILTON BRADLEYS 2nd edition rules.

• @lnmajor:

any game can have naval bases. just implement that rule into your game. i borrow rules from all types of AA varients. if its a good rule and plays well use it, why not? if i didnt do that i would still be playing MILTON BRADLEYS 2nd edition rules.

Well, if there are 2 SZ between EUS and the UK, than a naval base would probably allow the US to invade France from EUS, so I want to see if IL is allowing this

• I think so, but not sure, IL whats the deal?

• I don’t use Ports or Air Bases in this game. They do not offer anything but more rules that add little flavor. Air bases are everywhere and don’t need representation. Ports should protect naval from attacks but they got this wrong too. They made no provision for this and instead just gave ships +1 movement, which is not really what they should be representing. They should represent protection and locations of shipbuilding.

I took all the ideas that i felt were lacking from AAE40/AAP40 and reinserted new ideas to give flavor and new strategy.

In this version Germany and Japan have switched roles… Germany gets large and Japan also grows but much slower. In no universe i am aware of Japan should never be larger economically than Germany. Also, no UK/ USA in Russia… instead we have lend lease to compensate and of course Germany/ Italy can attack the shipping.

Technology is optional and much more historical… no gimmicks like “advanced artillery”… that is rubbish idea if ever i seen one.

Other changes:

New units
    strategic redeployment ( land units double movement in NCM, air units move farther too)
    Proper China representation
    National Historical Victory conditions ( everybody has their own independent conditions to win)
    Historical IPC distribution
    Vichy Rules
    Factories are not “hot dog stands” that produce your hot dogs the turn after combat. You have to make your own as they are destroyed by combat
    Modified changes to Cruisers to make them more viable
    better defense against sea invasions
    etc…

• how do you know whats lacking in AAE40 if not even available yet?

• Based on the fact sheet and AAP40 ideas

• question on transports.
    if your ships are attacked and transports are present the cannot be used to absorb hits. but if the attacker has subs or tac bombers can he target transports if destroyers are not present?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m