French figures–-less than what a normal power would get?

• @LHoffman:

@allboxcars:

@LHoffman:

I’d just figure that since France isn’t a main line combatant, they wouldn’t have as many figures as, say, Britain, but I would think they still get all the unit types.

I thought I saw somewhere in the “facts” that the only French sculpt is infantry.

Now I don’t know if that means that they’ll be blue Shermans (for instance) in the French arsenal or what.

Yeah, I heard that too, but I thought in that picture of the map we have seen the French have more than just infantry. Maybe I am seeing things.

And I would assume also… or at least HOPE… that they would have the French Navy on the Board to start with. France did have a first rate Navy to start the war… buuuutttt… then the British had to scuttle them so the Germans couldn’t use them. It would be interesting to see how that fact is approached by the game designers.

yes I’m wondering if that talk about “only infantry” is a “criticism” from the gamers who want to see Nation specific for everything and cringe at the thought of a blue Spitfire…

And definitely agree the French should have some naval muscle… mind you then I start leaning towards a scuttle rule and Vichy… KISS is drawn into the abyss of those terrible historical “ifs”.

• @Razor:

Easy, the game start after the Dunkirk evacuation and after the French navy was scuttled. There is no other way to do it.

The game does start after Dunkirk.

However, whether the French are “well represented” or not….they are finished after 1 round. If Germany doesnt do that, then this would be a QUICK allied victory.

• I would hope the French get just as many pieces as ANZAC, or more.  I don’t think they should get a really small number of pieces because the creators assume Germany attacks France on the first turn.  Not everyone plays as competitively as some of those in the extreme.  We might like to goof off and attack Russia first or attempt Operation Sea Lion.  Or we’d like to leave France alive to see what they could’ve done if Germany had tried a Reverse Sheifflin plan.  The game creators shouldn’t pigeonhole a player into his strategy by jipping us on pieces, or operate on assumptions that everyone wants to play according to what happened in WWII.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@brettstarr4:

I would hope the French get just as many pieces as ANZAC, or more.  I don’t think they should get a really small number of pieces because the creators assume Germany attacks France on the first turn.  Not everyone plays as competitively as some of those in the extreme. The game creators shouldn’t pigeonhole a player into his strategy by jipping us on pieces, or operate on assumptions that everyone wants to play according to what happened in WWII.

Hey I agree! I always play to win… so that would probably rule out ignoring France, but I believe the game creators should give you the option by giving you enough pieces. I think that is good justification for more pieces… not that this will convince anyone at WOTC. I am sure they wish to save and make as much money as possible.

• @squirecam:

@Razor:

Easy, the game start after the Dunkirk evacuation and after the French navy was scuttled. There is no other way to do it.

However, whether the French are “well represented” or not….they are finished after 1 round. If Germany doesnt do that, then this would be a QUICK allied victory.

I disagree. If France doesn’t fall by the end of G1, the Germans don’t automatically lose, it just means they’re in serious trouble against the Soviets and would have to think fast.  I highly doubt Larry would make it so that if the French survive Germany and Italy’s first turn the Allies automatically win.

• I don’t think the Allies would automatically win if France wasn’t eliminated on the first round. Russia will probably start out pretty weak and won’t threaten Germany for a few turns. Plus there shouldn’t be many units in the UK to cause Germany any problems.

I don’t want France to be a complete walkover for the entire game. I’d like it of they at least took a part in some African battles, as they did in the actual war, and I want them to have a respectable navy. I think the best rule would be one similar to China’s: were, even if they loose their capital, they can still collect IPCs and build infantry and artillery in their African colonies

@squirecam:

@Razor:

I did some research last night and found out that the if the French are in control of their country at the start of the game … then the French Navy MUST still be “alive”.

The game starts befor the fall of France. This still leaves reasonable assumption that Dunkirk has happened (May 24-26 1940). French resistance ended on June 25. The British bombardment of the French Fleet at Mers-el-Kebir  happened on July 4 (70 years ago tomorrow, interstingly enough).

Based on this information, French ships should still be present at the start of the game. They cannot say the game starts after Dunkirk AND the scuttling of the French Fleet. It is impossible because France is autonomous at the start of the game. I for one hope that France has ships and something can be done with them. Either the French person keeps them, the British can sink them or the Germans can use them, I don’t care. As long as they are there.

• @GrizzlyMan:

I don’t think the Allies would automatically win if France wasn’t eliminated on the first round. Russia will probably start out pretty weak and won’t threaten Germany for a few turns. Plus there shouldn’t be many units in the UK to cause Germany any problems.

I don’t want France to be a complete walkover for the entire game. I’d like it of they at least took a part in some African battles, as they did in the actual war, and I want them to have a respectable navy. I think the best rule would be one similar to China’s: were, even if they loose their capital, they can still collect IPCs and build infantry and artillery in their African colonies

Also, I think Larry said the Soviets cannot attack any Axis power for a few turns, though I’m not sure as to the exact number. The Soviets WILL be well-represented, but just not in a position to defend themselves or attack.

I also agree that they should build infantry and artillery in the colonies, at least that means their power won’t steadily dwindle instead of getting increasingly more powerful, as they did in real life.

• @LHoffman:

@squirecam:

@Razor:

I did some research last night and found out that the if the French are in control of their country at the start of the game … then the French Navy MUST still be “alive”.

The game starts befor the fall of France. This still leaves reasonable assumption that Dunkirk has happened (May 24-26 1940). French resistance ended on June 25. The British bombardment of the French Fleet at Mers-el-Kebir  happened on July 4 (70 years ago tomorrow, interstingly enough).

Based on this information, French ships should still be present at the start of the game. They cannot say the game starts after Dunkirk AND the scuttling of the French Fleet. It is impossible because France is autonomous at the start of the game. I for one hope that France has ships and something can be done with them. Either the French person keeps them, the British can sink them or the Germans can use them, I don’t care. As long as they are there.

Actually, that was on the 3rd of July

@calvinhobbesliker:

@LHoffman:

@squirecam:

@Razor:

Actually, that was on the 3rd of July

Oh my mistake… so 70 years ago today. The book I got the information from said July 4.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m