• @allboxcars:

@WILD:

I was talking more about for game play. The Canadian minor IC will be in Quebec. It will most likely come w/AB & NB too. Seems like that alone is showing where the important tt is in Canada as far as game play goes. Ontario is the politically correct capital, but if you capture Quebec, you shut down Canada’s ability to contribute. Putting the VC in Ontario (Ottawa), just gives the allies an advantage. The Euro axis would have to first take Quebec (a difficult task in itself), then push on to Ontario. This would be plenty of time for the US to react from E US to block, or counter attack, making it nearly impossible IMO.

Well then wouldn’t it be better to just make Montreal the VC. Rather than move a nation’s capital to the wrong place.

To me that would have made more sense, but that’s not how things are. Ottawa is the VC, and is nestled deep in North America. I guess you could try for it after a successful sea lion (still having a navy), but you would be facing the US w/two major IC’s gunning for you. There is noway you could keep it for more then a round or so. For that matter, holding Quebec (Montreal) for any length of time would be next to impossible as well IMO, the US can toss to much at you.

I did just think of something though. Say you did do a successful sea lion and the axis navy is intact still w/several transports in the sz NW of England. Being that Quebec is the industrial center, Ontario may not have many units on it. You could send a small force through the Hudson to take Ontario (Ottawa), and send the bulk of your force to knock out Quebec in the same turn. Taking Quebec (depending on the map layout) should block the US from being able to retake Ontario (Ottawa) directly from E US. It could work if the axis need one more VC for the win I guess holding it past the US turn. The US player would either have to be sleeping, or have spent all his money in the Pacific to not see this coming though. You have to figure the US should be building a force somewhere in the Atlantic between E US and Iceland.

• I don’t think the Axis need to invade North America to win. They need 14 out of 19 VC’s, so they can take everything except San Fran, Washington, London, Ottawa, and Moscow to win. But, they would need Hawaii, India, Egypt, and New South Wales

• I know a number of people take issue with Ottawa as a VC.
    Here’s my two cents:

@calvinhobbesliker:

I don’t think the Axis need to invade North America to win.

IMTO as long as this statement remains true, I don’t have a problem with VCs being in North America.

Conversely, if a successful Axis lodgement in North American does not spell Axis victory then I think the game needs fixing… most likely by putting VCs in North America.

Personally, I cannot imagine FDR and Churchill shrugging off the Nazis taking Montreal as long as Warsaw or Hong Kong was in Allied hands.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m