Balancing the game: Using new objectives instead of bidding

• I personally do not like like the bidding system, but prefer bonuses instead, so I have done the following to balance the game (or attempt to) more in favor of the Allies.

China: 5 IPC bonus for holding Kansu
    US: 5 IPC bonus for Western US
    UK: 3 IPC bonus for India

Let me know what you guys think, I am open to some feedback here!

***Please keep in mind my own personal goal (it may differ from yours) for these bonuses is to give the Allies a slight advantage in this game. I want it to be where the Japanese have to work a bit harder to win. The idea is that the Japanese should be played by the more skillful player, can afford to make fewer mistakes, and may even need a bit of luck (as far as rolling the die) to pull it off. However, they should still have a good chance.

• That’s a hell of a lot to China, and a drop in the bucket to US. I’d say the real way to balance it is to forbid a J1 declaration of war. Its worked out pretty well for me.

• The other option being discussed besides banning a J1 DoW that seems to work well is giving the US their 40 IPC bonus to spend right away on USA1 if Japan attacks J1.

• Yes well forgoing a J1 attack is out of the question, and giving the US 40 IPCs up front is a bid, which is not optional on this forum. The question posed is objectives, our group prefers to give a few bonus objectives here and there, so if you would like to contribute please address the topic at hand.

• @SSPanzer:

Yes well forgoing a J1 attack is out of the question, and giving the US 40 IPCs up front is a bid, which is not optional on this forum. The question posed is objectives, our group prefers to give a few bonus objectives here and there, so if you would like to contribute please address the topic at hand.

Well, the option I mentioned simply allows the US to use their wartime NO right away in the case of a J1 DoW, which is not technically a bid since there would be no placement of units beforehand, it just gives the US 57 IPCs to spend on their first turn instead of the OOB 17; leaving the rest of the game untouched.

I mentioned it since your second US NO gives the US extra IPCs but basically increases the OOB US NO from 40 to 45; which, as Tralis stated, doesn’t do much for the US as they can’t really build much more with 5 extra IPCs per turn besides accumulating it for later use anyway as the US needs boats and planes to contest Japan on the water and actually get their land units in range of anything.

The Chinese NO is significant for China, but I don’t think that’s necessarily bad as China still does relatively poorly against Japan.  The UK NO would allow for 1 extra infantry per turn for UK, which will also be further annoying to Japan.  However, I voted that it will help the Allies, but not much because with the J3 India Crush method, 2 extra infantry to India will not make that much of a difference, and the couple extra infantry that China can accumulate will still only delay the Japanese a little.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m