POLL Malta: Naval Base or Air Base or Both or None

• How do you feel about MALTA in Europe/Global 1940?

• Just an air base, that would let it scramble to hit passing ships.

• I say it should be whatever it was historically. I’m no expert, but I definitely know that Malta was a historical air fortress. Not sure about naval, but whatever they had, I think it should be represented that way.

• Malta had both a naval base and an air base.

• I think they should definitely do both if that was the case historically. If they’re expanding theaters like North Africa and the Middle East, I think the Mediterranean should be expanded as well. I hope to see an increasing importance of the UK possessions in the Med. Cyprus, Malta, and Gibraltar should all be territories with bases. IMHO, they should be linked to a national objective, seeing as they were all critical UK naval outposts. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think Larry said something about having a smaller number of NO’s to keep the game from getting too complex, so I suppose this is all wishful thinking for now. :cry:

• I said both. You can’t have a fortress w/o air scramble, the UK/US will need somewhere to protect their  super fleets. They’ll also need extra mobility and a place to repair ships besides Gib.

• Does malta need an airbase? It’s in the middle of the med, which will probably be 3 spaces wide.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

Does malta need an airbase? It’s in the middle of the med, which will probably be 3 spaces wide.

It needs it for scrambling, that’s pretty much a given.

• @SAS:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Does malta need an airbase? It’s in the middle of the med, which will probably be 3 spaces wide.

Sorry, I meant naval base

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@SAS:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Sorry, I meant naval base

Ah, that makes sense.  Perhaps the Med will be wider now also since the Baltic is going from 1 seazone to 3 and the Mediterranean is about twice as big…

• Customizer

it should have both, and it should also have a HUGE garrison of non-moveable units (like four or five 0/3/0/6 bunkers)

• Med will look like this

med.PNG

• That map looks about right, at least within my own perspective terms.

As for the original topic, I’m hoping both the British will have both a naval and airbase on Malta, and I’m suspecting that they might have at least one fighter there as well.

• Malta only need an Airbase. Its 6 freekins islands in the Med, with both air and naval bases on all of them its gonna be freekin crowded, man

• @Razor:

Malta only need an Airbase. Its 6 freekins islands in the Med, with both air and naval bases on all of them its gonna be freekin crowded, man

I wasn’t aware the other islands were going to be included, or if they were, that they wouldn’t really be all that playable; like Iceland or Formosa in AE (though I am aware that Iceland is supposed to have a more playable role in this version).  I doubt “all of them” are going to have air and naval bases.

• @Razor:

Malta only need an Airbase. Its 6 freekins islands in the Med, with both air and naval bases on all of them its gonna be freekin crowded, man

I can see your point, and I do sympathize. However, I still envision Malta having a naval base setup, and only for the quick ferrying of British troops in and out of the Mediterranean. If not, I guess that just means the players must make a ‘dedicated push’ as Larry said early.

• @Admiral:

@Razor:

I can see your point, and I do sympathize. However, I still envision Malta having a naval base setup, and only for the quick ferrying of British troops in and out of the Mediterranean. If not, I guess that just means the players must make a ‘dedicated push’ as Larry said early.

If the Med is 5 or less spaces wide, a NB on Malta would allow ships near Malta to exit the Med on either side(If they control the appropriate passageway).

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@Admiral:

@Razor:

If the Med is 5 or less spaces wide, a NB on Malta would allow ships near Malta to exit the Med on either side(If they control the appropriate passageway).

Do you necessarily see this as a problem?

• @Admiral:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Admiral:

@Razor:

Do you necessarily see this as a problem?

I don’t know; I guess it’s just weird for me to see british ships able to move from Malta to the Red Sea

• I can understand that, it is a bit of an oddity, but it would give the Allies a strategic advantage to get units into that area, whether it be Malta, or the Mediterranean in general.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m