How is France going to survive even 1 round?!?

• So France is to the Europe edition, as China is to the Pacific edition?

• @idk_iam_swiss:

So France is to the Europe edition, as China is to the Pacific edition?

Approximately, yes.  They’re going to mostly be a distraction/annoyance to the Germans as China is to Japan, except since France only has 3 land territories the annoyance factor will be more with the navy.

• No, France will not be like China. France will not pop dudes (worst) but will have no ACME wall (let’s pray for it). The funny thing is that Free France income will be useless for allies until axis conquer it … so you can guess that gamey axis players will exploit this semi-bug and will ignore Free France territories. We really need ignore captured capitals rules in this game because Free France and Sea Lion can be mayor problems. It’s annoying that Larry continues sticking to them

• france will fall G1. they fell like dominos against the german wehrmacht. they were so sure of themselves, that the germans would attack their maginot-line. suprise, they did not. i just cant undersztand why all you guys want france to play a role in this game, its bound to fall. hitler wouldnt let himself have two front on mainland europe. i will serve sauerkraut and bayer in moscow by G5.

• @anderb:

france will fall G1. they fell like dominos against the german wehrmacht. they were so sure of themselves, that the germans would attack their maginot-line. suprise, they did not. i just cant undersztand why all you guys want france to play a role in this game, its bound to fall. hitler wouldnt let himself have two front on mainland europe. i will serve sauerkraut and bayer in moscow by G5.

They will fall huh? Just like the US player won’t be able to join until a year into the game (real time), or the Allies have to invade North Africa first before any other Axis territory?

• @anderb:

france will fall G1. they fell like dominos against the german wehrmacht. they were so sure of themselves, that the germans would attack their maginot-line. suprise, they did not. i just cant undersztand why all you guys want france to play a role in this game, its bound to fall. hitler wouldnt let himself have two front on mainland europe. i will serve sauerkraut and bayer in moscow by G5.

LOL, you sound like the Germans’ Wehrmacht, too, already pre-destined for victory, speaking as if it was ordained by the heavens.  Don’t forget dice will play some factor in A and A too.  Dice only make it more likely for certain events to happen, not perfect certitude.  Watch on some games Germany loses so much steam taking France that they cease to be a factor for several rounds and end up needing to be bailed out by Italy and/or Japan later on.

Really, the French weren’t all too unprepared for the war to come, as the Maginot-line did its job superbly, funneling German troops into the Low Countries to meet the dug-in BEF and roughly half the French army.  The only downside was that French planners did not expect the Germans to send massive armor formations through the supposedly impassable Ardennes and across the Meuse River without taking a fortified bridge crossing (pontoons! with tanks! yeah right!)  The lighter tanks the Germans had at the start of WWII were ideal for running through “impassable” territory; heavier tanks would have bogged down the advance then.

Hitler’s original plan for invading France was for a repeat of the Schliffen manuever right on through the Low Countries again as performed earlier in WWI, and had the high command not changed his mind and rerouted the Panzer divisions through the Ardennes to cut the Allied armies in two, history might have taken a very different course!

• I just hope that Germany won’t be like another Japan: able to kill France on the 1st turn AND eliminate almost all or all british/french naval units(In P40, the japs can destroy all allied ships except the Indian and San Francisco navy).

• I could totally see that happening. They over develop Germany. Giving them a TON of units. All placed within ranged of the UK. UK falls G1….And can take Canada( sorry Canada fanboys) in a few rolls of the dice. While Building up the forces to take out Russia All on G2

• Believe it or not, the success of the Germans in France had nothing to do with Hitler or the General staff, but much more to do with the boldness and genius of German divisional commanders, as has ever been the case in German military history. Had Heinz Guiderian(sp?) not disobeyed direct orders to halt his advance at the Senne river in France and wait for the infantry, the battle of France could have been a very different story.

Either way, the game begins after this fact, and after the BEF had been driven from mainland Europe. I expect France’s central province to fall about 90% of the time to a concentrated German attack on G1. After that, it will be mostly a mopping up campagin to control the rest of mainland France. If the Germans choose to venture elsewhere and not concentrate on this province I give them a 60 to 50% chance of success. However, after that, its up to the individual players as to what to do with France. There is no Vichy rule and this game dosent go in depth enough to represent a peoples will to fight and resist, or lack there as the case may be. This is not a bad thing, as I feel like it would just bog the game down. I still strongly recommend playing France like China after the fall of mainland France, with nothing but inf. builds.

• If the French coastal territory survives(the Vichy territory also should, since Italy never actually captured it), France caan transport its units to the UK, or perhaps Norway, Libya, or Italy

• Italy plays before France, so in this game we are going to have a “Italian Vichy France”  :mrgreen:

• @Funcioneta:

Italy plays before France, so in this game we are going to have a “Italian Vichy France”  :mrgreen:

Well, Italy invaded and was owned by France, so they shouldn’t be able to take Vichy on the first turn(but looking at P40, they’ll probably be able to take Egypt, Gibraltar, and Malta on their first turn

• Italy might have to take Vichy if Germany doesnt take Brittany. Otherwise France might successfuly counterattack Paris.

Dont forget the official rule from Larry……“The first time Paris is liberated, place 4 French Infantry in that terriory”

Concievably…if Brittany and Vichy have enough French units to launch a valid attack on Paris, then the Axis has to elimnate them G1 and I1 respectively.

The risk for France is worth the reward…Even in a suicidal attack

• @oztea:

Italy might have to take Vichy if Germany doesnt take Brittany. Otherwise France might successfuly counterattack Paris.

Dont forget the official rule from Larry……“The first time Paris is liberated, place 4 French Infantry in that terriory”

Concievably…if Brittany and Vichy have enough French units to launch a valid attack on Paris, then the Axis has to elimnate them G1 and I1 respectively.

Vichy will probably have 1 inf, while Italy has 8 inf, 5 tanks,  3 fighters, and 5 transports with which it captures Vichy, Egypt, Gibraltar, and Malta on the 1st turn. Germany will have 13 infantry, 10 tanks, 3 bombers, and 10 fighters in addition to 4 transports, 2 BB’s, 1 CV, and 20 SS.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@oztea:

Italy might have to take Vichy if Germany doesnt take Brittany. Otherwise France might successfuly counterattack Paris.

Vichy will probably have 1 inf, while Italy has 8 inf, 5 tanks,  3 fighters, and 5 transports with which it captures Vichy, Egypt, Gibraltar, and Malta on the 1st turn. Germany will have 13 infantry, 10 tanks, 3 bombers, and 10 fighters in addition to 4 transports, 2 BB’s, 1 CV, and 20 SS.

Where did you get these figures?  5 transports for Italy?  20 subs for Germany?  Taking out Egypt, Gibraltar, and Malta all in the first turn?  If that’s the case the Allies are screwed, but I don’t remember seeing that anywhere…  I think your numbers are off.

• @SAS:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@oztea:

Vichy will probably have 1 inf, while Italy has 8 inf, 5 tanks,  3 fighters, and 5 transports with which it captures Vichy, Egypt, Gibraltar, and Malta on the 1st turn. Germany will have 13 infantry, 10 tanks, 3 bombers, and 10 fighters in addition to 4 transports, 2 BB’s, 1 CV, and 20 SS.

Where did you get these figures?  5 transports for Italy?  20 subs for Germany?  Taking out Egypt, Gibraltar, and Malta all in the first turn?  The Allies are screwed…

20 subs the british navy won’t exist after G1.

• @SAS:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@oztea:

Vichy will probably have 1 inf, while Italy has 8 inf, 5 tanks,  3 fighters, and 5 transports with which it captures Vichy, Egypt, Gibraltar, and Malta on the 1st turn. Germany will have 13 infantry, 10 tanks, 3 bombers, and 10 fighters in addition to 4 transports, 2 BB’s, 1 CV, and 20 SS.

Where did you get these figures?  5 transports for Italy?  20 subs for Germany?  Taking out Egypt, Gibraltar, and Malta all in the first turn?  If that’s the case the Allies are screwed, but I don’t remember seeing that anywhere…  I think your numbers are off.

Well, if P40 is anything to go by, my numbers can’t be far off. Japan can capture Celebes, Yunan, Hong Kong, and destroy all allied ships except ones at the edge of the board.

• Note: I am joking

• @calvinhobbesliker:

Note: I am joking

Note: British humor=/=Everyone else’s humor  :-D

• @UN:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Note: I am joking

Note: British humor=/=Everyone else’s humor  :-D

Silly British, jokes are for kids…

Note: Jokes are cool, but written sarcasm is hard to interpret…  At least without facial expressions.  But if it’s a joke then: :lol:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m