• I still only have like 3 AAA games under my belt total (which is sad since i bought 1942 some months back then discovered p1940 less than a month later buying it). AAA is awesome but i think after techs are (re)introduced i feel ther is just 1 thing missing. How cool would it be if there were event cards? Some random and some that could be played on another player. “Lose forces to disease.” “Add 1 to all of your fighters rolls this turn due to faulty parts.” “Hurricanes cause losses in random sz determined by a die roll.” I think those cards could make for a whole new dynamic and have potential to be a lot of fun if done right. If the cards are drawn just like every 3rd turn it wouldn’t make them too excessive. What does everybody else think?

• Axis and Allies D-Day has a card system that works similar to your idea.
    On the global scale, its problematic. A random event might break the game wide open. To prevent this you would have to make them somewhat weak….and then if they are that weak, why even have them…

• I’m working on a set of these cards now.

I’ll ‘spoil’ one for you:

Inter-Service Rivalry

The air forces of some nations were poorly-coordinated with the other branches of the military. This meant that strategic air strikes would often be late, never arrive, or–worst of all–attack their own men.

During this battle, your enemy’s strategic bombers roll separately from his other units. On the roll of a ‘1’ or ‘2’, the bomber hits as normal, but on a ‘3’ or ‘4’ it hits a unit on its own side (‘5’ and ‘6’ miss, per usual).

• On the global scale, its problematic. A random event might break the game wide open. To prevent this you would have to make them somewhat weak….and then if they are that weak, why even have them…

I don’t agree.
    You should not forget that the fate or the adversity sometimes changed the court of the history, in particular during the Second World War.
    I set up a systeme of " event card " for every nation.
    Every player has to get it one has every turn.

Sometimes, a player receive free piece or cannot used boats because of the bad weather.
    He also can get a ‘‘new weapon developement’’ roll for free.
    Event card do not break the tempo of the game.

• @oztea:

A random event might break the game wide open. To prevent this you would have to make them somewhat weak….and then if they are that weak, why even have them…

I suppose because they add some flavour. Take Inter-Service Rivalry mentioned above, for example. The player who has this event card played against them has got some interesting choices to make.

Let’s consider a sample battle: say that the attacking player has two bombers, three tanks, and two infantry against a stack of five infantry. Normally, this attack would be a tough fight, but a fairly certain victory. After this card is played, the attacker must now decide:

(1) whether it’s worth calling off the attack after the first round because his bombers are only half as accurate, and will end up bombing his own forces 1/3 of the time, or

(2) whether it’s worth keeping the attack going, but choosing his own bombers as casualties first.

So there’s a little bit of tension, yes, but not game-breaking swing, really. Plus, in my variant, each player can only use three cards for each game: one early war, one mid-war, and one late war.

• Plus, in my variant, each player can only use three cards for each game: one early war, one mid-war, and one late war.

Only 3! :roll:
    I have 30 card for each major and minor power!

• @crusaderiv:

Plus, in my variant, each player can only use three cards for each game: one early war, one mid-war, and one late war.

Only 3! :roll:
    I have 30 card for each major and minor power!

Great! Post them, let’s have a look…

[my version has 39 cards in total, 13 unique cards x 3 decks]

• I posted it a couple of month ago or 1 year ago?….
    Don’t remember…

But I can send you by email.

• @crusaderiv:

I posted it a couple of month ago or 1 year ago?….
    Don’t remember…

But I can send you by email.

can you give me the link to were you posted them.

• You’ll find my email addres in my profile.
    Just send me an email and i’ll be able to send you a ‘‘Word copy’’ of my event card’’

• @crusaderiv:

You’ll find my email addres in my profile.
    Just send me an email and i’ll be able to send you a ‘‘Word copy’’ of my event card’’

Your email address is ‘hidden’ on your profile, so I sent you a PM with my email. Looking forward to seeing the cards!

• I receive your email, I just send you the document.
    Hope everything is ok…

• Yes, I got it, thanks for that.

I especially liked the Worker’s Strike card (it works like a negative War Bonds on your enemy’s economy), the Enigma Deciphered (sub nerf for enemy), and Assassination Attempt (no units in or out of enemy’s capital city) cards. The game as it is OOB gives you chances to boost your own position via weapons developments and buying more units, but it rarely gives you the chance to throw a spanner directly in the enemy’s plans. So this is a welcome dimension to your cards.

The Add-A-Piece-At-Location-X cards (the majority) I was less of a fan of, because I think that adding powerful free units to the game (like the battleship or loaded aircraft carrier you mention) could be seriously unbalancing. It also violates two of the central principles/mechanics of the game: (1) no units for free, and (2) no new units where there are no industrial complexes (sure, China gets around this one, but it’s the exception). With the weaker versions of these cards, where you get a free infantry in some useless or far-flung location, I imagine if you drew them in the game it would give you a kind of ‘meh’ feeling… to get a weak piece in an unimportant place. Maybe these could be thinned out a bit to make room for more exciting events?

Still, overall, interesting work. Thanks for sharing!

-MIR

P.S.: I’m looking for feedback, too. If you give me a comment on “Inter-Service Rivalry” I’d appreciate it. Please let me know the following:

(1) How interesting / fun is the card?
    1 = yuck
    2 = meh
    3 = hmmm
    4 = fascinating
    5 = wow

(2) How powerful is the card?
    1 = terrible
    2 = weak
    3 = alright
    4 = good
    5 = amazing

(3) How many IPCs would you pay for the card’s effect?
    1 = 0 IPCs
    2 = 1-5 IPCs
    3 = 6-12 IPCs
    4 = 13-24 IPCs
    5 = 25+ IPCs

(4) Other comments?

• Ah, good, you received it….

Don’t forget that my event card was done for 1939 World at War game.

The Add-A-Piece-At-Location-X cards (the majority) I was less of a fan of, because I think that adding powerful free units to the game (like the battleship or loaded aircraft carrier you mention) could be seriously unbalancing. It also violates two of the central principles/mechanics of the game: (1) no units for free, and (2) no new units where there are no industrial complexes (sure, China gets around this one, but it’s the exception). With the weaker versions of these cards, where you get a free infantry in some useless or far-flung location, I imagine if you drew them in the game it would give you a kind of ‘meh’ feeling… to get a weak piece in an unimportant place. Maybe these could be thinned out a bit to make room for more exciting events?

I create free unit card for one reason. In 1939, a lot of warship was under construction but also tank and other unit.
    We play 18 games since 1996 and the score is Axis 9 win, Allies 7 win and 2 draw.
    Free unit didn’t change the balance of the game.
    Curiously, bad weather card has a better impact!
    Nothing worst than a series of typhoon in the Phillipine’s!

• P.S.: I’m looking for feedback, too. If you give me a comment on “Inter-Service Rivalry” I’d appreciate it. Please let me know the following:
    I read it and for sure, it’s an original idea but I don’t like the lost of his own unit because of ‘‘friend fire’’.

I think weather card can make a better effect on the startegies.
    For example, in our game, you cannot make amphibious assault during winter in northern europe.

Oh and by the way, I can send you the rules if you want.

• Sure, send the rules my way. I’d like to see them.

I have another card to preview, thoughts on this are welcome as well:

Oil Shortage

(DEFENCE)
    Enemy units involved in this sea or land battle must all retreat after the first salvo, unless the defender is completely destroyed.

"The battle is fought and decided by the quartermasters before the shooting begins.” – Erwin Rommel

• _Oil Shortage

(DEFENCE)
    Enemy units involved in this sea or land battle must all retreat after the first salvo, unless the defender is completely destroyed._

This one is better.

By the way, I just send you our World at war rules.

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

I would like to see the WAW rules also!

• I would like to see the WAW rules also!

No problema…
    Just use personel A&A org. message to give me your email.

• Still can’t open it; need the rules in .doc format for my computer.

Here’s the next preview card for your consideration:

Narrow Pass

(DEFENCE)
    In this land battle, only 1 land unit from each side can fire and/or be taken casualty per salvo (air units fire as normal).

“I heard General Bradley say that his division had been annihilated. It was only then that I realised the full gravity of the situation.” – Victor Hyams

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m