• @Yanny:

Colin Powell is the only member of the Bush administration which I trust… I trust him.

Why? He is a public liar.

1. He lied to his superiors during the Vietnam war (when he was a major) about a massacre of the people in a village by U.S soldiers.

2. He lied to COngress about the Iran-Contra Affair.

Makes me not want to look into the backgrounds of the few politicians I still respect…

• or could be if we drilled in Alaska.

Alaska has nothing compared to Iraq. Iraq has the third most oil of any country in the world, Saudi Arabia and the US being first and second.

Sorry, Yanny, but when people keep using the same pithy, old, worn-out statements I get a little annoyed. Will you please give a less-used reason. I think the whole oil deal is a moot point anyway - or could be if we drilled in Alaska. I think there’s plenty there for us to stop being dependent on the oil from Iraq.

Ok, less used reason. President Bush has not done a single thing to enstill his trust to me. Neither has Clinton or Gore. He’s a politician, and rarely is there a politician I trust. Had I been alive (and not a toddler) I would of trusted Bush Sr., Reagan (though I don’t agree with him), Carter, and JFK. Hell, I am an avid supporter of Jesse Ventura and Pat Buchanon. Why? I don’t agree with a thing they say! I trust them. I trust Colin Powell, which is why I am coming close to supporting this war.

But Bush? I trust the weather man more than him. I see him as a brilliant actor, able to put on a friendly face at a moment’s notice. I see him as all talk and no game, unless guns are involved. I see him as a coward and a liar, as he has proven not only during his 2 years as President, but throughout his entire life.

Bush, he keeps a tighter control on his cabinet, the media, and first and foremost, himself, than any President in modern history.

Why should I trust him? He actively opposed campaign finance reform, led by another guy I trust, John Mccain. He is as partisan as Andrew Jackson was. He is a sleesy politician. He’s been one since he was first elected to his first office in Texas.

I truely think had Colin Powell not been there, we would of attacked Iraq in November. Colin Powell actually installed some rational thought into Bush’s brain. Had we gone into Iraq when Dubbleya wanted us to, the long term and short term consequences would of been much greater.

• Nice. I respect that more than an overused expression more than I thought I would.

Quote:
    or could be if we drilled in Alaska.

Alaska has nothing compared to Iraq. Iraq has the third most oil of any country in the world, Saudi Arabia and the US being first and second.

It would still augment our own supply, still making us less dependent on Iraq.

I truely think had Colin Powell not been there, we would of attacked Iraq in November.

I can agree with that. And I think that’s why he chose Colin Powell for that position. I think he is weak in long-term planning, but he does know how to respond to the here and now. I believe that makes him good for this time period.

• @yourbuttocks:

@Yanny:

Colin Powell is the only member of the Bush administration which I trust… I trust him.

1. He lied to his superiors during the Vietnam war (when he was a major) about a massacre of the people in a village by U.S soldiers.

Makes me not want to look into the backgrounds of the few politicians I still respect…

Woa, liar, liar , liar!

• Seems like oyu have more than one liar in your government then.

Mr. Rumsfeld held a speech, where he first “defined” what he though it supporting the U.S. … That included using and installing bases in these “cooperating countries”, as well as the allowance to use their airspace.
    He then said there were three or four countries that do no such thing… naming Germany as one of them.

That is a blatant lie.
    One of the first things Germany did after declaring it would not join in any military actions was to secure the US that they could use their bases in Germany and the airspace over Germany.
    This was done even though many law experts say, that our constitution would not allow us so, unless the UN covered that military action.
    Participating, starting or even supporting an “aggressive war” is forbidden by our constitution. That would mean: if the US go in without (1) cover from an UN-resolution or (2) an imminent threat of attack by the Iraq (which is the only justification for a pre-emptive strike) then we would have to be forced to close the airspace above Germany for US military, and discuss what to do with the bases the US has here.
    But, we are close to breaching our constitution for you… which is not enough as it seems for a good vasall. The main reason for Germany to be so strongly against the military action is that we have a constitution that would bring us into severe trouble with our NATO obligations and treaties.
    This is something that is not seen by the US as it seems. A good way to lose friends is to ignore their history and culture.

• @yourbuttocks:

@yourbuttocks:

@Yanny:

Woa, liar, liar , liar!

Ahhh Iran-Contra affairs. This takes me back. Col North looked so dashing in his uniform, while being so Reagan-esque in everything he said.
    Which reminds me, i need some Grecian formula 13, which I believe was also being supplied to the Iranian and Nicaraguan contra’s. . . .

Did I say he was perfect? Lots of people lied, probably every single member of our Government. But I still trust Powell, probably because I too would of lied in his place in Vietnam, and I don’t know much about #2.

• there is nothing wrong with a goverment official lying as long as he does it for a good cause ;)

• @DasEwokSS:

there is nothing wrong with a goverment official lying as long as he does it for a good cause ;)

……“I did not have sexual relations with that woman”… :wink:

• @F_alk:

secure the US that they could use their bases in Germany and the airspace over Germany… not enough as it seems for a good vasall.

Now you are starting to get the idea. :)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m