• Okay so I’m debating if I should get this one or Pacific 1940. So Yeah, and also what do the Marines, do they attack on 2 or are they the same as Merchanized Infantry, and do the US only get them.

• Official Q&A

They’re two very different games.  The original Pacific gives Japan two ways to win.  The first way is by capturing and holding a single enemy capital (Western USA, New South Wales or India).  The second is by collecting enough victory points to win.  The victory point method puts the Allies on a clock to defeat Japan.  If they don’t make it, Japan has worn the Allies down into settling for peace without total victory.  In this way, Japan wins the game without winning the war.  This mechanism can lead to some very tense endgame situations as Japan tries to eke out that last victory point.

If you like a suspenseful contest that may not be decided until the very end, original Pacific is the game you want.  If you like a more traditional A&A game, go with 1940.

Marines attack on a 2 during amphibious assaults only (3 when paired with artillery).  Other than that, they’re the same as infantry.  Only the US gets them.

• @Krieghund:

They’re two very different games.  The original Pacific gives Japan two ways to win.  The first way is by capturing and holding a single enemy capital (Western USA, New South Wales or India).  The second is by collecting enough victory points to win.  The victory point method puts the Allies on a clock to defeat Japan.  If they don’t make it, Japan has worn the Allies down into settling for peace without total victory.  In this way, Japan wins the game without winning the war.  This mechanism can lead to some very tense endgame situations as Japan tries to eke out that last victory point.

If you like a suspenseful contest that may not be decided until the very end, original Pacific is the game you want.  If you like a more traditional A&A game, go with 1940.

Marines attack on a 2 during amphibious assaults only (3 when paired with artillery).  Other than that, they’re the same as infantry.  Only the US gets them.

I guess I’ll get both!  :-)

• @Dylan:

@Krieghund:

You’d want to have Pacific 1940 anyway for when Europe 1940 comes out. IT’S THE HOT NEW THING!
    I guess I’ll get both!  :-)

• I figure the old is out of print

• @Razor:

I figure the old is out of print

Ebay silly  :-)

• I just picked up a copy from FMG. Great game, although I do think PA140 is better, if you’ve only got the cash for one.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m