• Has any one used the research and development from AA50 for AA42? I have thought about incorporating it into AA42 but not sure how much it would alter the game play.  :|

• too complex for that game there arent enough territories to make it feasable. play with the R &D from the 2004 game. it works just fine. tweak it a bit if you must. but

• @idk_iam_swiss:

too complex for that game there arent enough territories to make it feasable. play with the R &D from the 2004 game. it works just fine. tweak it a bit if you must. but

I thought about that but it would give 3 ships the ability to do offshore bombardment. That might make the navy a little too powerful. Any ideas to replace the “combined bombardment” from Revised R&D to work in AA42?

• Didn’t they remove it for this new game

• @Dylan:

Didn’t they remove it for this new game

Yes they did but for those that like the new rules and pieces and miss tech and NA from Revised this is something to consider. I wander if the ship yard tech from AA50 would be good to replace the combined bombardment from the Revised tech?

• give it a shot, i think the map is too small

• @skinny1:

@idk_iam_swiss:

too complex for that game there arent enough territories to make it feasable. play with the R &D from the 2004 game. it works just fine. tweak it a bit if you must. but

I thought about that but it would give 3 ships the ability to do offshore bombardment. That might make the navy a little too powerful. Any ideas to replace the “combined bombardment” from Revised R&D to work in AA42?

Since the number of ships that bombard during an amphibious assault is limited to the number of ground units you bring along and any defending units that are hit will still fire back it is not as powerful as in Revised. Plus the destroyers will only fire at 2. I’d say that the utility for this tech is almost the same as Revised.

• @Hobbes:

@skinny1:

@idk_iam_swiss:

Since the number of ships that bombard during an amphibious assault is limited to the number of ground units you bring along and any defending units that are hit will still fire back it is not as powerful as in Revised. Plus the destroyers will only fire at 2. I’d say that the utility for this tech is almost the same as Revised.

Good point. I forgot about “the number of ships that bombard during an amphibious assault is limited to the number of ground units you bring along” so it could still work using the tech from Revised. The reason I am asking about doing this is that my brother used to play the classic game in the '80s but since then has been hooked on video games. I am trying to get him back into AA board games and was describing this new version of AA42 and how tech was eliminated. He stated that he loved playing with tech in the classic 2nd edition so I was looking for a way to get it into AA42 to maybe temp him into playing with the new rules and pieces that he has not had the chance to play with. Thanks for all of the responses.

• @skinny1:

Good point. I forgot about “the number of ships that bombard during an amphibious assault is limited to the number of ground units you bring along” so it could still work using the tech from Revised. The reason I am asking about doing this is that my brother used to play the classic game in the '80s but since then has been hooked on video games. I am trying to get him back into AA board games and was describing this new version of AA42 and how tech was eliminated. He stated that he loved playing with tech in the classic 2nd edition so I was looking for a way to get it into AA42 to maybe temp him into playing with the new rules and pieces that he has not had the chance to play with. Thanks for all of the responses.

You might want to consider using LHTR 2.0 tech rules. LHTR are Larry Harris tournament rules for Revised that change a few issues, specially the overwhelming power of Heavy Bombers.

The differences between the tech on both Revised and LHTR are that Jet Fighters can’t be hit by AA Guns, Super Submarines attack/defense is 3, and Heavy Bombers roll 2 dice and choose the best result, in strat bombing +1 is added to the roll.

• @Hobbes:

@skinny1:

You might want to consider using LHTR 2.0 tech rules. LHTR are Larry Harris tournament rules for Revised that change a few issues, specially the overwhelming power of Heavy Bombers.

The differences between the tech on both Revised and LHTR are that Jet Fighters can’t be hit by AA Guns, Super Submarines attack/defense is 3, and Heavy Bombers roll 2 dice and choose the best result, in strat bombing +1 is added to the roll.

I was just looking at those the last couple of days along with the Historical Edition Rules for Revised. Are those worth trying with the AA42 rules?

• @skinny1:

I was just looking at those the last couple of days along with the Historical Edition Rules for Revised. Are those worth trying with the AA42 rules?

I never tried Revised with the Historical Edition rules because they are a little too complex for me. I did play a bit with the Enhanced rules since the changes are lesser and it was fun. It uses the changes from LHTR plus a few changes of its own.

I never tried those with AA42, they would require a few adaptations since the sub rules were changed from Revised to AA42.

• Where would I find the Enhanced rules?

• @skinny1:

Where would I find the Enhanced rules?

It’s it a sticky thread on the House Rules section.

• @Hobbes:

@skinny1:

Where would I find the Enhanced rules?

It’s it a sticky thread on the House Rules section.

Ok. I will read through them. Thanks.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m