• Has anyone made a bigger battle board for AA42 like Bob Mickelson did for AAP40? I do not have the programs needed to do a larger battle board and the one from Revised will not work due to new units in AA42. Thanks.

• Check out this thread on the second page of this board right now…

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=16865.0

• @SilverAngelSurfer:

Check out this thread on the second page of this board right now…

I don’t see anything about a battle board there. Just maps.

• @skinny1:

@SilverAngelSurfer:

By battle board, do you mean the battle strip thing?

• @SilverAngelSurfer:

@skinny1:

@SilverAngelSurfer:

By battle board, do you mean the battle strip thing?

Yes. Like the battle board that was included in Revised and AA50.

• Honestly, I never understood why you need a battleboard at all. Certainly not for small fights and if there are a lot of units involved just count them and roll the dice unit type by unit type.

• @c64:

Honestly, I never understood why you need a battleboard at all. Certainly not for small fights and if there are a lot of units involved just count them and roll the dice unit type by unit type.

Do you just leave all of the pieces on the game board when you do a battle?

• Actually I do. But I play on enlarged maps, so that all the units are easy to reach.

• @Yoper:

@skinny1:

@c64:

Honestly, I never understood why you need a battleboard at all. Certainly not for small fights and if there are a lot of units involved just count them and roll the dice unit type by unit type.

Do you just leave all of the pieces on the game board when you do a battle?

For the most part, you can just leave the units on the map.

Every once in a while you may need to put a very large battle on the battle board, but that is few and far between.

I started a game with my boys last night and we left some of the battles on the game board but there were times when the pile of pieces needed to be moved to the battle strip to keep things straight. I would never had done that without players here suggesting it. Looks like I don’t need a bigger battle board after all.

• A good battle board is useful for large scale battles or for newbies. I created two 8x10 inch battle boards (one for attack and one for defense) that had photos of real-world units (printed at Costco and then laminated). I didn’t have time to find WWII photos for everything, so some things, like AC, are more modern photos. My buddies claimed they were a little confused because the photos didn’t match the game pieces, but I didn’t think it was too big of a hurdle. Ultimately, I would like to get WWII photos of all the units.

Also, I made the boards big because I wanted to use tokens to represent the units. We’re all big guys, and moving the units off the game board, onto the battle board, and back onto the game board is a bit of a pain. If you’ve got lots of dice or tokens, this seems to work ok. Next time, I want to build a tray (kind of like a utensil tray in the kitchen) with photos on the bottom of each compartment. This would hold the tokens better. But with a 2 year old daughter in the house, this won’t happen for another 16 years or so!

My cousin had a map printed that’s about 4x bigger than the original, so the only time we really need a battle board is at the end of the game when we have huge unit stacks.

When I get a chance, I’ll post the battle boards I made. Maybe someone will find them useful.

• @mtngoatjoe:

When I get a chance, I’ll post the battle boards I made. Maybe someone will find them useful.

That would be great. I wouldn’t mind adding them to my game. Thanks

• :x I tried finding my files last night, but they’ve been lost. I’ll have to make new ones (sometime in the distant future when I get the time). Sorry  :-(

• @mtngoatjoe:

:x I tried finding my files last night, but they’ve been lost. I’ll have to make new ones (sometime in the distant future when I get the time). Sorry  :-(

No worries. Thanks for the update.

• Ok, I found a low quality version that isn’t good enough for printing, but it will give you an idea of what I did. When I had the originals, I printed them at 8x10 inches at Costco, and then laminated them. They work OK, but I really need WWII photos for all the units.

• Those are pretty cool with the ships and units on them. I like how you separated the different units with the boxes. Nice touch.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m