• I got AAP40 in January, and ever since I have been addicted. Unfortunately, since most people I know aren’t as addicted as I, only every couple of weeks do I play a complete game (sometimes less!). This means everyone I play with and I are all beginners, and will be for a while. This game is just too complex to take in, even in 6 games, which is all I’ve played.

As I read these forums, I realize that we (me and my friends) are getting very different results than all of you. Let me compare.

Forums:
    Japan: 999,999,999 victories
    Allies: 1 victory

Me and my Friends:
    Japan: 0 victory
    Allies: 6 victories

I, as Japan, almost won once, but that required leaving almost all my territories undefended and going all out to attack. After getting Calcutta, Manila and Hong Kong, Sydney was my next target, and in one turn it would have been mine. But a rather weakly defended Japan meant the US could bomb the hell out of it and a small ANZAC fleet could take it over.

I am Japan again, and the situation isn’t too bright. It’s the beginning of Japan’s turn (I think it’s about the 5th), with 58 IPCs, making 53 IPCs. China and India are BOTH alive, and the UK has a massive tank army and China has a massive infantry army, and both are ready to destroy me. Luckily, India has NO air force and only a destroyer in Malayan waters, but I only have 3 fighters in French Indochina, a couple cruisers (one in Japan and one off of Kwangtung) and an empty aircraft carrier (in the Philippines). The ANZAC has 3 undefended transports, a fighter and a ton of tanks/infantry. America is amassing a giant fleet to push me out of Hawaii (defended by a tank and a fighter). I’m losing the fight on the mainland, and I’m about to lose the fight for the eastern pacific.

I know what I’m going to do with the units I already have. I’m going to take out those transports with my aircraft carrier and a fighter, and withdraw from Indochina to defend Kwangsi with a couple tanks. I have a MiIC in Kiangsi and another one in the Philippines (NOTE: we play with the ability to build MiICs on the Philippines, the NO islands for the UK, both sides of New Guinea and New Zealand too). What I want to ask you is basic tips for Japan (I don’t want to know the secrets to the India crush, that would be unfair), as well as what I should spend my IPCs on this turn, and anything else you find necessary or helpful. If you need any more info on my game, please ask.

Thanks SO MUCH in advance! And don’t say I’m a newb for failing to take both China and India… I already know that.  :-D

• You don’t really need the ICs on the islands any ways. Build one on the mainland in a very good location and watch your fleet don’t make stupid moves that allow easy targets for the allies. Kill the uk fleet quick. There are some good basic tips

• @fanofbond:

You don’t really need the ICs on the islands any ways. Build one on the mainland in a very good location and watch your fleet don’t make stupid moves that allow easy targets for the allies. Kill the uk fleet quick. There are some good basic tips

Thanks fanofband!

Anybody else got some tips? Or, preferably, what I should spend my IPCs on? And an update to how the game goes is coming Sunday night or Monday morning, and if I win I’ll be very surprised.

• Basic J1 attack:

Attack open Chinese territories, moving troops inland.
    Take Yunan, Kwangtung, cut Burma road, with available inf, arti, planes.

Use 3 Bombers + Formosa fighter to take out UK BB and transports. (the fighter is so you don’t lose a bomber) Use the 4th bomber to help out against China.

Use all 3 loaded transports to take Phillipines. (the idea if enough troops survive is to take Malaya next turn) If you stack your fleet next to Phil ANZAC will be too terrified to send its fighter to Malaya. The downside is US is able to move in force to Hawaii.

Use Caroline DD to take out New Britain SS
    Use Japan SS to take out Hawaii transport.

Allies are down to US west coast transport and you can take the Dutch Islands unchallenge on J2 and J3. Note because Phil has naval base (3 sea moves) so you can pick up surviving inf in Kwangtung to help with your invasion of Malaya (or take the Dutch islands if you like)

J2 move 2 of your CVs back to Caroline islands to keep US in check.

There are more optimal openings but this is the simplest and least risky.

• Part of the problem may be the money you spend on minor ICs, and that you let the UK player build them on islands where they don’t belong.

If Japan doesn’t get of to a big start, they are going to have a rough go.  I would hope that after turn three China is practically out of business, and by turn five Calcutta is in dire straights.

Have you tried the J1 approach or are you afraid to go big until J3?  The US boost is not as bad a 40 IPCs sounds, because the Japanese player gets a lot of compensation in some of the little targets they pick off in the first turn.  The PI and Hong Kong are worth about a 20IPC income swing, for example.

• Thanks a lot Van Trump and dinosaur! I’ll definitely crush the Allies next time now!

As for how the game went, I eliminated all that remained of the ANZAC and UK navies and took the East Indies (ANZAC and UK NO islands), but Chinese infantry were starting to batter away at my forces on the mainland, and eventually I was cornered in Hong Kong, everything else (save for Korea), was Chinese. I managed to fend off a massive fleet of bombers, fighters, battleships and cruisers in the Philippines, but soon after, that was taken from me too. The East Indies were gone once the ANZAC and UK could build up a fleet again, and Japan fought for a couple turns after everything else was American, Australian, British or Chinese, but it too fell to the Allies.

I got myself far too deep into the hole of death, and I could not get out again.

However, I learned my lesson. Japan CANNOT declare war and not act quickly and decisively, they will soon simply be overtaken by the US “wartime economy”, as the Rulebook puts it. Also, Japan CANNOT let China live, or they will die. China, if it is saved by the stupidity of a Japanese player, will spread like the bubonic plague until all of it’s homeland once again belongs to it. That said, learned and lived, I hope to crush the Allies next time we come to cross swords (or little plastic people and machines, whatever the case may be). May the rising sun burn forever!

• No. No burn

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m