Attacking subs and defending fighters (without a defending destroyer)

• I’ve looked everywhere and haven’t been able to find anything concrete either way on this scenario:

Attacking force is 3 subs.
    Defending force is a carrier with fighters and a cruiser (no destroyer).

Can the fighters on the aircraft carrier participate in the defense? For that matter, can an air unit ever engage a sub without a destroyer to help?

I appreciate any insight the group might have.

• No,
    Airplane need a Destroyer to attack the subs.
    The subs cant hit airplane, so you wont be able to take them as casualties.

• Thanks!

Wouldn’t you know it. Two minutes after I asked the question, I found the answer in the Official Rules.
    Pg.17, Step 4, Specific to Sea Battles
    "Remember that in sea battles hits from air units cannot be assigned to submarines unless there is a destroyer present that is friendly to the air units in the battle.

I think we (the Allies) just won this war.  :-)

• @fortytwo:

I think we (the Allies) just won this war.  :-)

As long as Japan doesn’t buy DDs…

• We had a different understanding of how Air units defend against subs (without destroyers also defending).

The Allies had Japan on the brink and this particular buy (by the Japanese player) was to take back the DEI. However, the ANZAC wolf-pack would have just eaten it up with only the cruiser and carrier defending (thus, the Japanese player would have lost the transports and the ability to use the fighter in any offensive island maneuvers).

At any rate, we let the Japanese player change his buy (as the USA player had yet to play his turn) and drop a destroyer in with the fleet. So the game continues…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m