• Hey ppl!

Are you treating Ireland as a separate island or as a part of England? In other words, are the british isles (England+Ireland) one territory (a group of islands, like the Philippines) or are they two separate territories sharing the same SZ (like Greenland and England)?

• Official Q&A

They are separate islands.  Since Northern Ireland doesn’t have a name, it’s not a game space.

• @Krieghund:

They are separate islands.  Since Northern Ireland doesn’t have a name, it’s not a game space.

Hmm….
    So if England falls, no unit can stay in Northern Ireland! It follows the fate of England, unlike Iceland.

• Northern Ireland is marked at part of England, which leads me to think that to get into Ireland proper it is adjacent by land to England, so not to require transports to move into from england?

• Official Q&A

As it stands, Northern Ireland is not a part of the United Kingdom territory.  There is no land connection, and they aren’t contained within the same sea zone, so they aren’t technically an island group.  This may be a mistake and may need to be corrected in the errata.  I’ll look into it.

• looking at the aa50 map, you can see north Ireland has the same color as England, but its not a separate place but part of it. This leads me to think its adjacent by land. It never came up in my games because Ireland is useless in the game, but it was always in the back of my mind if Germany took England, the Americans would land in Ireland and attack England the next turn by land and sea and make it easier to take it back. Only problem is England never falls in my games.

• @Krieghund:

As it stands, Northern Ireland is not a part of the United Kingdom territory.  There is no land connection, and they aren’t contained within the same sea zone, so they aren’t technically an island group.  This may be a mistake and may need to be corrected in the errata.  I’ll look into it.

Thanx for the answer!
    It is grave to know wether Ireland, Iceland and Greenland are separate territories (for Green and Ice it was obvious, but not for Ireland).

The US player playing a Pacific Strategy, trying to bleed Japan out of Born, EInd and Philis, must always look if the UK is under threat. If it is, he must do a buy in EUS including 1 or 2 bombers and be ready to liberate the uk (i.e. a 40 IPC buy 2 tran, 2 inf, 2 art 1 bomb, more than enough to overthrow a weak Germ UK occupation force).

• Official Q&A

I’ve been thinking about this, and it’s really a moot point whether Northern Ireland is a part of United Kingdom or a separate, unnamed territory (and therefore not a game space).  Either way, the game plays in the exact same way.  There are no sea zones which touch Northern Ireland but don’t touch United Kingdom, and the only territory that does so (Eire) is neutral and therefore impassable.  Because of this, it makes no difference to movement of air units or of land units by sea which of these options is in effect.

• @Krieghund:

I’ve been thinking about this, and it’s really a moot point whether Northern Ireland is a part of United Kingdom or a separate, unnamed territory (and therefore not a game space).  Either way, the game plays in the exact same way.  There are no sea zones which touch Northern Ireland but don’t touch United Kingdom, and the only territory that does so (Eire) is neutral and therefore impassable.  Because of this, it makes no difference to movement of air units or of land units by sea which of these options is in effect.

Sea Zones 3, 6, & 7 don’t touch Northern Ireland though, isn’t that correct?

• Official Q&A

Yes, that’s correct, but it’s also irrelevant to this issue.  If Northern Ireland is a part of the United Kingdom territory, it isn’t a separate space, so whatever touches United Kingdom also touches it.  If it is a separate space, it’s not in play, since it’s not named.  Either way, it doesn’t matter which other spaces touch United Kingdom but not Northern Ireland.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m