Which would you rather play - 1941 or 1942

• OK, I am personally a big fan of the 1942 scenario for various reasons, but I was curious about what the consensus is out there (well, at least among poll takers).

I disdain 1941 because of these reasons:
    1)  China is pathetically weak.
    2)  Japan is ridiculously strong.
    3)  First turn or two is almost like just going through the motions to get to the 1942 scenario (in some ways) except Japan still has 7-9 fighters and 3 carriers and 4-5 transports!!
    4)  USA and UK destroyer transport combos in Z56 and Z35 that can be pounded by 2 jap fighters - that’s just ***
    5)  Russia has no offense whatsoever.
    6)  It’s nothing like previous A&A, which was Spring of 1942.  The world is at war.  So you get to do Pearl Harbor I.  Big deal.
    7)  With standard rules - NO’s, tech, Dard open - Axis dominates.  9 fighters, 3 carriers, 5 transports - you know who I’m talking about - enough said.
    8.  France doesn’t even have a freaking AA gun, and only has 2 units on it?  What in the world.
    9)  UK battleship can easily be destroyed G1.

I like 1941 because:

1. Fun to dominate with a power that’s built to dominate from the first turn (Japan).
    2. New and different is good - variety is the spice of life.  At least they finally wrote up two scenarios for this game.

I’m not writing this to persuade anyone of anything.  Just like to share my thoughts and experiences and preferences, and wondering what yours are.

• '16 '15 '10

There’s way more variation in 42.  J1 varies alot depending on how many risks Japan wants to take, and G1 is always different since if follows Russia’s turn.  USA has starting fleet in the Pacific that isn’t easily wiped out.

It may be that 42 strats will also become more settled once it is played as much as 41, but right now it’s more fun because it’s less predictable what will transpire.

• Well definitely 1942 because of the fact that the Allies have a much better chance of winning and don’t start so far behind in the arms race as in 1941.  However, I do love the new rules of AAP40 and can’t wait for its sister board this summer, AAE40.  I do agree the 42 setup does provide some more variety and doesn’t see the Allies get completely hammered on the opening turn time and time again.

• I voted AAP40 because I don’t want get stucked with allies in AA50 without a serious bid. On second thougt, anyway I don’t want stucked with axis in AA50 either because is awfully boring playing a game you know you’ll win most of times. Without bid, most of time the game is decided when you roll for choosing sides

And new AAP40 shines. Many say Japan starts with too much advantage, but I think that not, at least at first sight

Of course, when 40G arrives, I’ll probably shift to 40G for global games  :-D

• Thanks for the vote and reply, Func.  Very interesting.

• @Imperious:

Lets not call people noobs here ok?

If anything try to add to the discussion and not derail it.

It’s far from impossible to win as allies in a +NO game in both scenarios, and in 41 dice is a very huge factor, but it is a fact that in a 1vs1 experienced setting, allies need a bid, probably close to the amount used in AAR.

It is impossible though, to win (more than 50%) in the long run w/o a bid, assuming experienced players and more than 15-20 games played, the dice will be (close to) average given enough games played.

• '22 '19 '18

In my game group, which meets rarely, in 1941 allies won all 6 games we played so we switched to '42 scenario.  The three games we played of that axis 2 allies 1.

42 seems more balanced and china actually has a chance.

• I much prefer '41 unlike all the above opinions '42 is a joke to me since it is so imbalanced in the favor of the Axis.

• '16 '15 '10

@a44bigdog:

I much prefer '41 unlike all the above opinions '42 is a joke to me since it is so imbalanced in the favor of the Axis.

That’s what the bid is for.  Give Russia a healthy bid and 42 is the best A&A version yet.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Hands Down 41 is Superior.  I find it much more balanced, online and at home.

I like how the allies have to be smarter with their pieces, to make things happen.  I like how Japan has to be logisitically calculating to make thier ends meet efficiently.

I like how I often use china to THWART my enemies, on a consistent basis, by attacking with them, instead of hopelessly defending with them as most people do.

1942 is very intimidating for the Allies, German Naval Strats Dominate and are unrealistic, Russia Gets Pummelled to hard early,  I don’t like the turn order.

• '10

I personaly like the 1941 version best.  It really gives the AXIS a chance to alter the game early on…

• I like both but right now 42 because the axis still have a chance.

• 41 for me, the only balanced version that does not need a bid.

• '10

Opinions seem to be all over the place.  I have no preference and I’m still not sure if a bid is needed in either scenario. I think AA50 is a much more manageable game than P40 and will probably continue to play it even when G40 is available. :mrgreen:

• Why would I want to play another 1942 game. Besides 1941 is the only 1941, and once Europe 40 comes out we’ll have

1940, 1941, 1942! :D

• The game is totally different without the National Objectives

Not many people play the game this way, and perhaps they should try it.
    THAT in and of itself evens the game a tremendous amount.

• Whoever voted the last one is on crack!

• @Dylan:

Whoever voted the last one is on crack!

I thought it might be interesting if I made that a poll choice, and sure enough, someone picked it  :-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m