• '10

Or was it some other group of navy personnel?

• Everything was set in motion when we knew they were coming and we could deploy our forces to meet an unsuspecting enemy.

• The engineers who constructed the US carriers, which were hit but didn’t suffer the damage that the Japanese carriers did.

• The Commanders, they always make the decesive decisions, man.

• It was not only skills who decided the battle of midway, the Japanese spotted the US first.

• The guys who damaged the aircraft carriers(dive bombers)

• '10

Subotai, I do not understand what you mean by “skills”. I guess I must be dense or something. And how did the Japanese spot the U.S. first?@Subotai:

It was not only skills who decided the battle of midway, the Japanese spotted the US first.

• '10

Say Brain, who was it that opened the door for the dive bombers so that they could waltz right in without being attacked by the interceptors and what did it cost? @Brain:

The guys who damaged the aircraft carriers(dive bombers)

• Without the code breakers the US Carriers would probably have been in Hawaiian waters and would have had to react, with the IJN waiting for them and the Yorktown might not have had such expedited patch repairs, they might have seriously began to repair her where she might not have been able to be put back together quickly. She also might have been sent to San Diego for repairs.

• @Fishmoto37:

Say Brain, who was it that opened the door for the dive bombers so that they could waltz right in without being attacked by the interceptors and what did it cost? @Brain:

The guys who damaged the aircraft carriers(dive bombers)

I’m guessing you are about to tell me.

• '10

The code breakers and the dive bomber pilots are VERY GOOD votes. I will post my thoughts when the poll ends. Just think about the most that any one of these groups could contribute. It was a team effort for sure. I want to hear some more comments before this post ends. Could all of you that vote post a short comment on the vote that you made? I have been wondering how many people outside of this forum even know anything about the battle of Midway.

• @Fishmoto37:

I have been wondering how many people outside of this forum even know anything about the battle of Midway.

Hey I got all  my knowledge on this battle from that movie with Charlton Heston called Midway Battle for the Pacific. :-D

Movies are always 100% accurate :roll:

• I got all my info on the battle of midway by watching a documentary on discovery channel    :-)

• It seems to me that this one one of those exceptionally rare ocassions that each of those groups played a critical role in the outcome. I would have to say that if so much as one aspect changed due to any of the them, the outcome could have and would have been far different. This would be especialy true as you get closer to the start of the chain of events with code breaking. It comes down to each set of people being in the right place and at the right time to make the battle go as it it did.

• '10

This poll did not generate the interest that I assumed it would. I have locked the voting as it is time to move on to another subject. There were many different types of aircraft involved in this battle but I will confine my thoughts to the torpedo planes as that is what I voted for. The first single engine torpedo planes to attack the Japanese were six of the new TBFs from Midway. No hits were registered. One made it back to Midway. The first of the carrier torpedo planes to attack were Sixteen TBD Devastators from USS Hornet. (VT8) Because of confusion and inexperience they attacked without fighter cover. One man survived. Again no hits. The next group to attack were fourteen TBDs from USS Enterprise. (VT-6) Again no hits and eleven were lost. The last torpedo attack was made by thirteen TBDs from USS Yorktown. (VT-3) Once again no hits were scored and twelve planes were lost. But by this time ALL of the Japanese fighter cap was down to the deck to stop all of these torpedo planes. By chance this is when the dive bombers made their attack which lasted only about three minutes and left three Japanese carriers burning. Of course there were many others who gave their lives on Midway, on Enterprise and on the destoyer USS Hammann who never even got to see the enemy fleet. But those young men in the torpedo bombers gave their lives without even knowing the outcome of the battle. Can we even begin to imagine what their last thoughts were? They all contributed all that they could for this country. It is a shame that so many young people today have no clue what those men did for all of us.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m