Tricked out my AA50th - pics in a bucket

• Customizer

Look’in forward to seeing your troops LHoffman!

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Viracocha:

Look’in forward to seeing your troops LHoffman!

Just don’t hold your breath.

• Customizer

Yeah, it does take quite awhile…  I did mine over a year I think, casually painting here and there when the mood took me (sometimes the mood was more like a need eh eh eh :)

• Customizer

Does anyone know of where to get some peelable stikers or decals? I’m going to start on a 1941 edition. I looked up a Youtube video on painting techniques and the guy said he got stickers from zazzle.com, I couldn’t find them any smaller than 1/2 inch.

@toblerone77:

Does anyone know of where to get some peelable stikers or decals? I’m going to start on a 1941 edition. I looked up a Youtube video on painting techniques and the guy said he got stickers from zazzle.com, I couldn’t find them any smaller than 1/2 inch.Â

Viracocha got his decals from I-94 http://www.i-94enterprises.com/decals.htm.

Apparently they work very well. I have not bought any yet. They do come much smaller than 1/2 in. though.

• Customizer

Thanks LH. I went there. This guy on Youtube got actual stickers appearantly. His method for doing his pieces seal the peel-and-press stickers on the piece.

His method is a bit un-convential but I like it. The finished product actually increases the durability of the piece, he was practically bouncing it off the table lol.

My project will be 1941 because it’s a small game and I want to finish it in a reasonable time, I plan to do a light stylized set of pieces. the problem comes in when you have pieces that are all the same hence the need for national markings. I’m artistic but I DON’T have the skill to try and do national emblems on the pieces. Hence I liked the idea of those self adhesive decals.

@toblerone77:

the problem comes in when you have pieces that are all the same hence the need for national markings. I’m artistic but I DON’T have the skill to try and do national emblems on the pieces. Hence I liked the idea of those self adhesive decals.

Yeah, it is very demanding if you want them to look right. Decals/stickers are probably the best way to go.

Actually, I have had a question for Viracocha:

Did you modify your German battleships? It looked from your pictures like you clipped the bows and cut the superstructure down a bit too.

• Customizer

LHoff - yep, did indeed.  My AA50th errr… project(?) endeavours(s) predates all our fancy options out there now by FMG and HBG, that Biz is from a different game/scale yet I really liked it. In retrospect, I should have done some clay options for smoothening… oh well, it’s seen some action  :evil:  I intend on ultimately making that edition of mine some sort of “grand mix” of different painted models (FMG HBG OOB etc.), thought it would be cool to represent (and as much as I would like to, have supplement rules correlating to pieces but our games are long enough and time being short, it’ll probably be more for the spirit of it rather than game mechanic).

@Viracocha:

LHoff - yep, did indeed.  My AA50th errr… project(?) endeavours(s) predates all our fancy options out there now by FMG and HBG, that Biz is from a different game/scale yet I really liked it. In retrospect, I should have done some clay options for smoothening… oh well, it’s seen some action  :evil:   I intend on ultimately making that edition of mine some sort of “grand mix” of different painted models (FMG HBG OOB etc.), thought it would be cool to represent (and as much as I would like to, have supplement rules correlating to pieces but our games are long enough and time being short, it’ll probably be more for the spirit of it rather than game mechanic).

Thanks. And I would agree; we do a lot of superfluous stuff because we like it and idealistically believe we will actually use it. But even in reality when we don’t use the pieces/rules, it was still fun to make and there is some satisfaction in knowing you always have the option to use it if you want.

• Customizer

That or we just happen to be the little boys we were and like playing with our toys when no-one else is a round to play with us…Heheh.

That’s my story and I’m sticking with it.

• Customizer

@sgtwiltan:

That or we just happen to be the little boys we were and like playing with our toys when no-one else is a round to play with us…Heheh.

That’s my story and I’m sticking with it.

Ditto.  I’ll have you know that I make the best machine-gun noises this side of the Atlantic.

hehehe - It’s strange really.  Sometimes when I’m ‘in the zone’, I’ll take the time to paint something that I doubt anyone will ever notice… yet once the idea is my head - it’s gotta get to a fig. eh eh eh  Example: I ran across an Italian with a flash mark on his face… after a few very precise cuts and painting attempts, booya, the Italian has a cigarette in his mouth. But I think the point is I know it’s there.  Well… and he looks cooler when I’m using them for action figures  :-D

@Viracocha:

hehehe - It’s strange really.  Sometimes when I’m ‘in the zone’, I’ll take the time to paint something that I doubt anyone will ever notice… yet once the idea is my head - it’s gotta get to a fig. eh eh eh   Example: I ran across an Italian with a flash mark on his face… after a few very precise cuts and painting attempts, booya, the Italian has a cigarette in his mouth. But I think the point is I know it’s there.  Well… and he looks cooler when I’m using them for action figures  :-D

Excellent! That’s the kind of quality we all want, the stuff you can’t even see. Then you know it’s the real deal.  8-)

• Customizer

Yup. I added more details to my 105mm prototype. Don’t tell Paul. 6 more steps. I’ll post on the nest update.

• Customizer

Wil,

––Three MORE cheers for the Sgt. !

Hip, hip, Hooray!
    Hip, hip, Hooray!
    Hip, hip, Hooray!

----I would’ve said “huuua” but didn’t think I was allowed as I’m Army, and not a
    “Jarhead Marine”. :-D
    ----Like I said on your thread, I was surprised :-o when I found your 105’s to be my favorite of that batch of ‘goodies’. They look GREAT! :-D

“Tall Paul”

• Customizer

OK… I have my artillery separated… they’re upset that Sgt. inspired me, they don’t like the look of the hobby knife.  :evil:

• Customizer

V.I.P. “V”,

@Viracocha:

OK… I have my artillery separated… they’re upset that Sgt. inspired me, they don’t like the look of the hobby knife.   :evil:

––Do you have any pics of the artillery units you’re working on? Or pics of any of your units. I need a “fix” for my painted A&A addiction and yours are always great to look at!

“Tall Paul”

• Customizer

Heyo Paul - sorry for the delayed response.  Would love to post some recent pics of my 50th - A LOT has changed.  But I no longer have a camera, and the one on my phone - I might as well not even try.  But I’ll try to get a buddy of mine to get some shots.

In the meantime, I’ll email Jeremy - it would be nice if he posted some pics of the Italians I painted for him.

Was checking out your stuff again Paul - wow.  Love how all of it is so historically accurate as well.

• Customizer

V.I.P. “V”,

––I certainly wouldn’t want you to ever feel any ‘pressure’ from me for showing me some pics of your wonderful painted units. I simply enjoy and appreciate the talents you have for painting them. Old pics are just as good as new ones to me. And yes, I’d love to see pics of the Italian units you painted for Jeremy if posssible. We have a shared interest(addiction) to our painted A&A units, haha.

----And as far as my units, I must say that “Allwork”, Wil, and Lucas are VERY TALENTED guys and deserve all of the credit. But what I enjoy most of all is that they’re also really nice guys to work with. We have literally dozens of new units in the que with some Navy/Marine F-4F Wildcats about to be finished.

“Tall Paul”

• Customizer

Tallest of Pauls,

'Pressure?" Bah, no worries.

No word from Jeremy… but I’m sure he’s got his hands full, they’ll be posted eventually I’m sure.

eh eh eh - “shared interest (addiction)” - heheh - you got that right.

Yeah - you have a fantastic war machine crew, your completed set is going to be awesome.  You need to host a game with the whole warmachine when it’s all done (+ 1 - me :)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m