Several Questions - Thank you ahead of time!

• Thanks ahead of time guys.  I truly appreciate it.

My friend and I are first time players.  We’re both history buffs, and love war games, and wanted to get into axis and allies.  So today my friend and I went several turns into a game as a trial run so we could come up with questions/concerns/anything that may arise. So here they are.

1. If a sub successfully surprise attacks an aircraft carrier with 2 fighters on it, do the fighters sink as well?

2. Can you attack an enemy territory from 2 or more other territories at the same time?  If so, how would this battle work?

3. Do fighters and bombers attack like infantry and tanks in land battles?  And likewise, can fighters and bombers assist in sea battles with ships (let’s assume no submarines are present)?
      3a) If fighters can attack infantry, what would prevent me from taking off and picking off individual Japanese infantry on the islands?

4. When attacking with fighters and/or bombers, what parts count as moves?  Does taking off, does attacking, does landing?  We were mostly confused on how air battles work.

5. If I fly over an opponent’s territory that has a fighter in it, do we automatically engage in combat or can I continue?

6. Can I pick up 2 infantry in a transport, sail 2 zones and then drop off them into another one of my territories?
      6a) Can I pick up 2 infantry in a transport then sail 2 zones and partake in an amfibious assault, (IE Japan against Alaska first turn.)

7. The board was way too small and confusing, thus putting Germany at an unfair disadvantage because it was so confusing.  So before we play again, I am determined to have a bigger board ready.  I was able to Download IL’s map, (which was absolutely fantastic, thank you so much)  Any suggestions on how/where to print IL’s map? The PDF it dled as says it should be 72.5" x 36.5 inches.  Even suggestions on how to print it piece by piece would be great (I don’t mind putting it together), but I just cannot seem to figure it out. (and is it just me or does it have too many cities on it?)

Thank you so much again.  I look forward to your answers!

-S

• There a many other people on this site more qualified to answer these but since no on has yet…

1. I would have to say yes though I haven’t encountered this scenario before.

2)Yes. That is how most battles start out with Russia and Germany. You would invade West Russia from all four bordering territories. The battle would be started with Russia saying, and usually pushing the selected units into or in the direction of West Russia, that they were attacking with whatever units they have chosen to use. Then you place those units on the attacking stripe and the German starting units on the defending stripe and roll out the battle!

3)Yes and yes.
    3a) What would prevent you is finding a place to land. You cannot land on the island you are attacking and having aircraft carriers in the pacific is not the easiest thing to do.

1. All of those count. For example, if you have a bomber in London and you wish to attack Berlin, Germany your first move is into a sea zone. Here lets say move 1 is into SZ6 move 2- SZ5 move 3- attacking Berlin move 4- SZ5 move 5- SZ6 and your final move, move 6- London to land safely.

2. No. Flying over units or an anti-aircraft gun will not engage your fighters/bombers in battle. You can continue on to your target landing zone or the territory you wish to attack.

3. Yes you can. Though infantry units can only move one space loading and offloading on a transport is legal. Same goes for AA guns or artillery.
      6a) Yes you can. If you want you can attack Alaska on J1.

4. I am of no help here, I use the standard board for every 1942 game I have played.

1. The fighters on the carrier are allowed to move one space to find a friendly territory or other AC. This happens after the attacker’s combat moves and before his noncombat moves. See page 27 in the section called “Fighters”.

2. If you live in a country with access to A4 or A3 paper format you could a try to an alternative to IL’s map : http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=15816.0

• Official Q&A

Welcome, smd918!

@smd918:

3a) If fighters can attack infantry, what would prevent me from taking off and picking off individual Japanese infantry on the islands?

Bear in mind that fighters or bombers attacking infantry will take return fire.  Any unit type is capable of hitting any other unit type, unless the rules specifically say otherwise.

For more information on the game, check out the FAQ.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m