• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Federal Racketeering Charges Sought Against Scientology; RICO Indictments Possible

Added: (Mon Sep 05 2005)

An official federal complaint has been filed with the California Attorney General’s office against the “Church of Scientology” in a 220-page legal complaint. Various charges of criminal acts have been alleged, including:

Violations Of U. S. Title 18, Chapter 15, Section 287 (making false, fictitious or fraudulent claims to government agencies), nine counts; Chapter 37 (Espionage and censorship), one count; Chapter 41 (Extortion and threats), one count; Chapter 45 (Foreign Relations), three counts; Chapter 63 (Mail Fraud), one count; Chapter 73 (Obstruction of Justice), one count; Chapter 37 (Espionage and censorship)
    Sec. 793 - Gathering, transmitting or losing defense information, one count; Chapter 41 (Extortion and threats), Sec. 875 - Interstate communications, 13 counts; Chapter 45 (Foreign Relations), Sec. 953 - Private correspondence with foreign governments, 3 counts; Chapter 63 (Mail Fraud), Sec. 1341 - Frauds and swindles, one count; Chapter 73 (Obstruction of Justice), Sec. 1512 - Tampering with a witness, victim, or an informant, three counts; and Chapter 13 (Civil Rights), Sec. 241 - Conspiracy against rights, 43 counts.

The official complaint is supported by over 1,300 pages of legal documents including 61 affidavits by victims of crimes and human rights abuses committed against them by the “Church of Scientology;” 120 court transcripts by witnesses under oath; 105 sworn declarations; and 13 audio-video confessions by previous Scientology racketeers.

The Scientology organization denies all wrong-doing.

http://www.pressbox.co.uk/detailed/International/Federal_Racketeering_Charges_Sought_Against_Scientology_RICO_Indictments_Possible_35698.html

So my questions are:

A) Anyone know more about this
    B) Anyone surprised by this
    C) What do you think? Is this indicitivie of all religions, of all minor religions, is this something completely different in a religion or is this even a religion at all or rather is it a criminal enterprise?

• @Jennifer:

A) Anyone know more about this
    B) Anyone surprised by this
    C) What do you think? Is this indicitivie of all religions, of all minor religions, is this something completely different in a religion or is this even a religion at all or rather is it a criminal enterprise?

@ A): Not from the US cases, but from cases over here in Germany. Here they are not a “church” but under surveillance/suspicion by the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution
    B) Not at all
    C) I don’t think that they are a church at all. Gosh, the second class sci-fi author who started this organisation once admitted himself that “starting a religion is the best way to become rich”. And if you look at its history … the first “clean” committed suicide, something that should be impossible once you are “clean” … and then the invention of stati beyond “clean” … etc. … if it wasn’t so dangerous because of its successses, it would be ridiculous.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@F_alk:

C) I don’t think that they are a church at all. Gosh, the second class sci-fi author who started this organisation once admitted himself that “starting a religion is the best way to become rich”. And if you look at its history … the first “clean” committed suicide, something that should be impossible once you are “clean” … and then the invention of stati beyond “clean” … etc. … if it wasn’t so dangerous because of its successses, it would be ridiculous.

They are called “clears.” Being “clear” means you no longer have a “reactive mind” which means that interbulation because of miscommunications or break downs in relationships between you and the world in general won’t bother you for extended periods of time. At least as I understand it in my outsider knowledge.

As for suicide, I didn’t hear that. However, there’s lots of stories about OT3 and the “wall of fire” that are concerning.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m