• I decided I’d make the final poll on the choice between Bush and Kerry. After reviewing the two extensively, I’d vote Bush. And for the first time in my life, I get to vote!

So who do you people believe will win?

• I believe Bush will win. Kinda hope he does, so he can entertain me again during the debates in the next election :wink:

• '19 Moderator

@ctm:

I believe Bush will win. Kinda hope he does, so he can entertain me again during the debates in the next election :wink:

How would that be? What next election?

• @dezrtfish:

@ctm:

I believe Bush will win. Kinda hope he does, so he can entertain me again during the debates in the next election :wink:

How would that be? What next election?

I thought you can only serve 8 years too…. :-?

• I thought you can only serve 8 years too….

There is no law prohibiting it, its just tradition, set by Washington. FDR was elected for four terms, remeber. But Bush is a biggie on tradition, he wont run again. So no fun debate :( .

Bush will win, in my opinion. His campaign was run alot better than Kerry’s, an di think epople tend to trust him more. They know he will do what he thinks is “right”, and wont be swayed by politics. Thats the consensus is according to polls, anyway.

• ACTUALLY: there is a law against it. Amendment XXII, enacted in 1951, set a two term limit, specifically in response to FDR. prior to FDR, however, it was only set by precedent. Washington, Jefferson, Madison, and Monroe, 4 out of the first 5 (Adams never got the chance) left after two terms, and were some of the most respected statemen at the time. this set the precedent for two-term limits. In addition to FDR, however, both Teddy Roosevelt and Ulysses S. Grant sought a third term, but Grant did not recieve nomination, and Roosevelt lost the election.

Because of their ascension to the Presidency from VP, Harry Truman and LBJ were eligible to serve more than the Two Terms. The VP stipulations regarding how much of a term constitutes a full term for VP ascension purposes did not apply to Truman, who was grandfathered, and LBJ would have served 10 years had he been elected again in 1968 (providing he had sought nomination, and then run)

if there were no two-term limit, we wouldnt be talking about Bush or Kerry, because Clinton would still be in office.

• Ah, I stand corrected. I guess i must have missed that law. I guess its a good thing, too. If Clinton was president at this time, i shudder to think of what our response would have been to 9/11.
    Sorry for the lies 8)

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

What’s scary is if President Bush does win again, then Vice President Cheney will be charbroiling whoever the Democrates unfortunately choose to run against him.

Though, knowing the Clintons, that’ll be Senator Clinton and she’ll try to ride her femine reproduction organs into the White House…

• Cheney will not run for President any sooner than Tommy Franks. When Bush is elected again, Cheney will ride out his VP term, than either retire, or go into some lower-key govt. position.

I dont think the Democrats have it in them to run Hillary as soon as 2008. In no insult to women candidates, but I just think they are more realist in nominations than their idealist policies suggest. They know she hasn’t got a chance in hell. Not her, not now. I’d argue that we won’t see any woman as president for several more elections, but it is possible. I just can’t see it being Hillary.

Though she was President for two terms already.

Its interesting what will be said if she does get elected. I imagine some people will be crying violation of Amendment 22. Plus, what would become of Bill? First Pimp? He certainly wouldn’t be official hostess, and I don’t think I could see him meeting with all the diplomatic wives while Hillary meets with the leaders….although: Hillary may finally get some action, and Bill may realize the error of his ways (I dont know that any diplomatic wives are hot)

hmm…candidate possibilities for 2008?
    assuming Bush wins, then possibly McCain, maybe Giuliani (though despite the hype, I doubt it). There has been much talk around Pataki. That’s also a maybe.

Democratically- I think if Kerry loses he will hang up his spurs. Or they will be hung up for him. This is his deciding election. If he loses now, I dont think he could rally back support for another go. Especially once the great divider Bush is out, there really wont be ANY reason to support botox-Kerry.
    candidates? well Dean will run again, of this I am sure. As will Lieberman, though sadly, he will probably still do poorly. Clark may or may not, likely not, given his poor showing, though he may see it as normal for new politicians. Edwards would probably try again. Sharpton unfortunately will, though there really isnt a point. He wont get nominated. Ever. We will have dismantled every nuclear weapon we have and fully legalized pot before that happens. I wouldn’t be surprised if Clinton tries, but I highly doubt she would do well in the primaries. Like Lieberman (though his biggest problem is people dont know him), there is still prejudice, concious or not.

Im sure there will be some new contenders we haven’t thought of yet.

at any rate, I question what female reproductive organs Clinton has, unless she has them in a jar somewhere in the house.

I shudder to think what Bill does with them… <shudder>While highly innappropriate, I would find it thoroughly hilarious if, in his acceptance speech, or on innauguration night, Bush, looking serious, breaks into a round of “Nyah Nyah Nyah Nyah Nyah Nya”. Oh man, that would be a good chuckle. I can already feel Moore’s angry response. He’d probably make a movie dissecting that one act…

coincidentally, anyone read

Michael Moore is a Big Fat Stupid White Man? its a new book tearing Moore apart. I haven’t read it, but I would like to. I doubt its completely objective, but neither is Moore. Its obvious he distorts facts and statistics, ignoring context to prove his absurd points, and he leaves out the fact in his “quest for the average american” that he didnt grow up in Flint, but in the richer, Grosse Pointe. and is currently chauferred in a limo. nah, he still represents the working man.

Update: (for me anyway) a new documentary “Michael Moore Hates America” is due out soon. I eagerly await it.</shudder>

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

The only problem I can foresee with a female president would be how some foreign nations may view her, and in turn us. After all, there are some nations, whether right or wrong, that do not hold women in very high regard and do treat them as second rate citizens at best, cattle at worst.

As for if Hillary runs, I sure hope Lisa Madigan, Condoleeza Rice or some other strong woman runs against her if she does. I’d hate to see her get elected because of her genes. (Not to mention, Woman v Woman would mean a Woman President. smile)

BTW, I really wish President Bush would have selected a woman VP.

• The only problem I can foresee with a female president would be how some foreign nations may view her, and in turn us. After all, there are some nations, whether right or wrong, that do not hold women in very high regard and do treat them as second rate citizens at best, cattle at worst.

Thats the same problem i ahve with Liberman. Besides his banning of video games diatribe, i like his policies, but having a Jewish president would wreak havoc with our relations with the middle east. Its like comfirming the “Jewish Conspiracy” that the palistinain and Iranian leaders always tout. I would still vote for him over any of the potential democratic candidates, though. he is actually sensible.

• You already know my leanings so I’ll spare the lecture.

As for a side note about female presidents: I heard a funny rumor from my Modern Russia professor. He said the lesbian pop singers “Tatu” are planning jointly to run for president of Russia! This was confirmed by the St. Petersburg Times! Their ages combine to exceed the necessary age requirement, but I somehow doubt they will be allowed to run anyway. Even if they did, it would be reminiscent of Howard Stern running for governor. Still, it would be fun to watch. :)

• @CommissarYarric:

Ah, I stand corrected. I guess i must have missed that law. I guess its a good thing, too. If Clinton was president at this time, i shudder to think of what our response would have been to 9/11.
    Sorry for the lies 8)

No Kidding!!!
    Clinton managed to bomb 4 countries in under a year and a half - and this was during “peacetime”.

• As AP said, y’all already know my preferences, so I too will spare the lecture. I’ll just say I find it likely Bush will win, thanks to his stands on certain issues, and the general dislike of Kerry.

• I believe Kerry will win. Undecideds break for the challenger when there is unrest/ dissatisfaction in the country.

Hilary will probablly run for VP. I don’t think the rednecks are ready to actually vote for a woman.
    As far as women being able to lead, several countries have been run by very capable women. England and India just to name a couple. Women are perfectly capable of leading well. In some instances better. For instance, a woman is not considered weak just for changing her mind. ;)

• it seems to me like people think whoever they like will win. im leaning towards Bush, but Kerry does have a chance, it all depends on ohio and florida.

• Let us hope to God that the whole Florida fiasco does not take place again this year, no matter who wins. If I had to listen to Peter Jennings and Dan Rather one more time…. :evil:

You know, one thing that would almost make it worthwhile to see Kerry win (besides the humor that would follow, and the many opportunities for us pro-Bush people to smirk and say “I told you so”), would be if Kerry won the Electoral vote, but not the popular vote. When Gore won the popular vote, so many Democrats were screeching about how Bush didn’t really win; let’s see if they would do the same this time :lol:.

• I am not a Democrat but I do hate Bush. All the same, I am pro ellectoral college either way.

• I dont have a problem with the idea of a woman president. I have a problem with the idea of Hillary Clinton officially the president.

I also dont think a woman will be elected president any time soon (the next several elections) but it will happen eventually, and whenever it does, I will judge the woman as I would any man running (unless its Hillary)

• but Kerry does have a chance, it all depends on ohio and florida.

It depends on Ohio or Florida. A Bush loss in either would probably mean the elelction.

Also, the Iowa Futures Market which allows people to trade stock in who they think will win has Kerry ahead. This is important b/c this exchange has accurately predicted the winners in previous elections. For those not familar its a project conducted out of the University of Iowa.

Anyway I think Kerry is going to do better than people think b/c of higher voter registration turnout. Of the states that are close as reported by MSN including Iowa, Minn, Wisc, Mich, Mo, Colo, Ari, Nevada, NMex, Wash, and Ore, I think Kerry will certainly win Iowa, Minn, Wisc, and Mich b/c of past history and higher voter reg and turnout. Mo had a history of voting democrat up until 2000, but Bush does have a lead there so I’m inclined to think he wins that one, along with WV, and Florida. Likewise I think Ore, Wash and Nevada are wins for Kerry for similar trends in previous years, and b/c high voter reg and turnout in Nevada probably means a Kerry win there. Colorado, NMex and Arizona have had similarly high voter registrations, but in the case of Colo and Arizona Bush won by so much in 2000 that I don’t know if that can be overcome, but I’ll give Kerry NMex.

I’m not as well versed in Eastern trends and politics so this is more of a guess, but b/c NH “lives free or dies” I think it will insist on being the Wildcard in NewEngland and got with Bush, but Kerry gets Maine. That leaves only Ohio and Pennsylvannia. Penn has a long history of voting Democrat, and Ohio of being republican. So here are my state by state predictions, and you can all laugh at me when I get many wrong.
    This is just for fun, maybe somebody else will post theirs and we can have fun with it after Nov 2.

Wash-Kerry
    Ore-Kerry
    NV-Kerry
    AZ-Bush
    NMex-Kerry
    Colo-Bush
    Mo-Bush
    Iowa-Kerry
    Minn-Kerry
    Wisc-Kerry
    Mich-Kerry
    Ohio-Kerry
    WV-Bush
    Penn-Kerry
    Florida-Bush
    Maine-Kerry
    NH-Bush

So as I see it w/o Ohio Kerry has 265, Bush 253 so a Kerry win in any state like WV, Colo, Ark or Ohio and he wins.

But its not impossible that Kerry will get over 325 elect votes.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m