1000 year Reich, was it possible?

• “Never have so many, owed so much, to so few”–Winston Churchill

The RAF pilots were simply better than german pilots, at dunkirk the fought against five to one odds succesfuly, their machiness were on the same level as the german planes, so it has to be the skill of the pilot that won the battle of britian, i dont think that germany ever could have beaten the RAF, during some air raids, the germans lost five times the british in planes, and the loss of pilots was even worse. the kreigsmarine was smaller than just the home fleet, and in that time of crisis, the british were recalling al avialable forces to britian. the german landing craft were wooden, and could be torn appart by landing craft, the landing plank had to be lowered manually, so the men are sitting duck when they are doing so. and you are forgetting radar. the tommies would be even better prepared than the germs were at omaha, and we barely held on by our eyelids. we had better landing craft, and air and naval superiority, sonething the germans lacked. no they could not have invaded enlang succesfuly, operation sealion would have ended in disaster.

• '19 Moderator

@Herr:

So a war could then drag on and on. But the americans would finally win when they make their nukes. (would need a lot but they were a huge leap ahead of competition here if used fast and in masse)

This is actually probably not true. Germany was just as close if not further in its development of nuclear weapons. In fact I have read that with out what we learned from Germany after VE we would not have had our ready nearly as soon as we did.

If anything this would have been an alternate cold war.

Other than that I agree with most of what you said.

• The RAF pilots were simply better than german pilots, at dunkirk the fought against five to one odds succesfuly, their machiness were on the same level as the german planes, so it has to be the skill of the pilot that won the battle of britian, i dont think that germany ever could have beaten the RAF, during some air raids, the germans lost five times the british in planes, and the loss of pilots was even worse

Well, first, the hurricanes and spitfires were slightly better than the ME series, but not by much. the main reason the British were able to kill so many German planes was becuase they had the “home team advantage” Tehy did not have to waste fuel crossing the English channel, so they coudl stay up in the air alot longer, whenever their planes were shot down the pilots survived, while German pilots would be captured. Radar definately helped, but mroe important was the Enigma machine, whcih allowed the British to read all the German codes and determine where the attack would happen ahead of time (if Germnay ahd changed thier codes like the Japanese, the British intelligence would have been much less effective). Also, the fragmented intelligence of the Germans made the airforce constantly underestimate the RAF’s strength Despite all this, the numerical supiriority of the GErmans allowed them to almost beat the RAF, and they were seriosuly pressed for quite soem time. The london bombings, though, allowed the RAF to rebuild. It could have been very possible for the Luftwaffe to defeat the RAF, and britian with it. Once the RAF was defeated, a landing could have been possible, but it would not be needed. Britian could ahve just been bombed into submission. Many wanted peace, and with the war esentially lost, Churchill could have been shoved aside, or peace made.

The US were Isolationalist but FDR was not… he wanted war and probably would have found a way to inflame the general populace…

GG

• Hehehehe…he was far from prepared for ANY fight. He proposed a peace treaty to the Germans in the opening months of the 1941 invasion, after the fall of kiev and minsk, and constantly tried to negotiate throughout 1941. He almost fled Russia, and was so paranoid that hsi staff would betray him he locked himself in his bunker for days, without letting anyone in. He wanted peace, very badly.

Are you sure about this? The reason that Stalin was caught off guard in the early going was that he was building up to invade Germany. Having the bulk of his best forces captured almost immediately enabled Germany to advance quickly. However, Russia was so much bigger than Germany (or I really should say had a much bigger population) that Stalin was able to rebuild his army, mostly from the far east in time. Yes, he was stunned and did nothing for the first 10 days after the invasion, but we don’t know this was because he wanted peace. I personally think it was because he didn’t like being outsmarted by Hitler.

First, an invasion of England could have been possible in a couple months after the fall of France (like 6) if the Germans built enough transports.

But Germany did not have the transports ready at the time of the invasion and they only had about 3 months. After mid-September, the conditions in the English channel do not permit amphibious assults which is why Hitler officially called off Operation Sea Lion on Sept. 21. Even with their best efforts up to this point, the Germans were woefully short of the transports they would need for a sucessful invasion.

This is one reason why Eisenhower planned D-day on June 5-6.

The earlier ME series planes could have paralyzed the RAF, and almost did, but then Hitler decided to swicth to the bombing of London.

Not quite true. They almost paralyzed the one RAF division which was commanded under Park. However, there were several other RAF divisions in England, divided up into regions most of which saw very little action. The region under Park was of course the one within range of the German airforce. This does show the inefficiency of the RAF, but do you really think if the invasion was taking place the other divisions of the RAF would sit idly by? Churchhill himself would order them to counter-attack immediately, convention and regulations notwithstanding.

• germany could have won, up until december 7th of 1941.

• if you voted yes, you are stupid

• Who could argue with logic like that?! Dork

• thank you hfw! :D

• the germans split their forces too thin in Russia i believe. I mean northern army goes to leningrad (and starves it instead of sieging) one army to moscow one army stuck in stalingrad and one in the caucasus.

This and the bad weather and circumstances prevented the blitzkrieg to continue. They should have focussed on Moscow and then rush to the caucasus.

Forget the V2 and just build planes. Don’t bomb London with little fighter cover losing too much planes. They should have copied the RAF defense when defending against the air raids which costed them so much industrial damage.

Production was one of the downfalls of germany too. Too little fuel and resources on any given time.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m