Is the current size of the US military too small?

• NO IT IS NOT! :x

• It’s good that we’re divided in the respect that it’s bad if we were united in the war in Iraq, the War on Terror, etc., not in the respect that we were united against it.

• @Lizardbaby:

Ha ha ha! How soon we forget. We loved the French in the first Iraq war. They where our allie and fought by our side. They flew missions over Iraq daily. What has changed? Has an entire nation become cowardly? Hmmmm. Makes one stop and think. Or not. It’s easier to get mad at them and change Frech Fries to Freedom Fries. After all, if you are not with us, your with the terrorists. <sigh>Yes, we need to increase the size of our military. Since enlistment is down 22% the only way to do that will be conscription. Have a nice day.</sigh>

ahhh LB - i’m likin’ yah more and more.

Does anyone here know the name Lafayette? Or King George?

Now you rely on more recent history - more credible. Well done.

• No, I’m pretty sure that the French didn’t help us at all during the Revolutionary War. And surely the Statue of Liberty wasn’t made by the French!

• that was hundreds of years ago. their opinion has changed. and by the way, the statue of liberty was facing towards france, it was suppose to symbolize that THEIR country was the origin of liberty.

• Well, then you say how much good the US did in WWII, because our opinion has changed.

• Marine,
    Ummmm, no. The French Revolution was after the American Revolution.

If we really need a larger military, why don’t we just feed them McDonalds for every meal. I hear that will make them much larger fast and it’s probabbly cheaper than MRE’s. Whose with me?!

• @Lizardbaby:

Marine,
    Ummmm, no. The French Revolution was after the American Revolution.

If we really need a larger military, why don’t we just feed them McDonalds for every meal. I hear that will make them much larger fast and it’s probabbly cheaper than MRE’s. Whose with me?!

don’t you guys already pay enough on health care?

• Ha ha ha! Good one CC! :)

• But that would come into play only after they left the army (and survived). I mean, they make good and slow targets in the mean time.
    And of course, if they die younger, that saves money for the retirement fonds.

• marine is seeming more and more like the bastard child of Mutharussia and that spammer that was here awhile back.

• i take offense to that janus1 :x

I am no mod but you guys are seemingly personally attacking Marine36…. cool it!!!

GG

• @Guerrilla:

I am no mod but you guys are seemingly personally attacking Marine36…. cool it!!!

GG

as a mod, i feel i should say something . . .
    ummmm . . . be nice?

• You guys suck at staying on topic. You really, really suck. Very badly :lol: .

To clear up why we hate the french, it is becuase they originally said they would back the Iraq war and would support the bill, but when the UN held the summit they completely changed their policy and vetoed our resolution. The Germans betrayed us as well, but France has veto, so thye did more damage. Since then, it has spiraled out of control, in both nations, due to the media.

Now, i think we should employ a larger army, but as we are a volunteer force, that would be difficult. I would not have a problem with a mandatory 2 year service in the military at a certain age, or some other form of conscription, but that wont ever happen in America, so i might as well forget about it. To increase troop supply for the important wars like Iraq, we need to reorganize our deployment. We need to pull out of all the nations we had troops in becuase of the Cold War, and we also need to pull our troops out of S. Korea, becuase thye are not doing anything their. SImply put, N. Korea wont be attakcing anyone, they cant afford to. Go the Korea topic if you feel like debating or want to hear my reasons.

Another way we could increase troop supply is rearm Japan. Thye want desperatly to help in Iraq, and would always support America becuase we did, and still do, so much for their economy. They could get a large volunteer service together relatively quickly, and since the population has little fear of war compared to Europe, the people would undoubtedly support such a war by a majority or at least 50/50. The current size of Japan’s military forces is 180,000, but i beleive thatcould eb expanded at least two fold if promopted by America. Thats another 100,000 troops for Iraq at least. I dont think we should accept allowing Japan to help only in reconstruction and security in non-combat areas, like the recent bill allows. They should be equal participatants. OF course, America cant really force Jpaan to change it’s policy, but their are many politicians hwo want to change that policy. I think it could be done.

@cystic:

@Guerrilla:

GG

ummmm . . . be nice?

forgive me CC…

Referring to people dying so one can get money and calling someone a bastard and a spammer??

You are the mod I am not denying it… But judge right besides your personal feelings please!!!

GG

• To clear up why we hate the french, it is becuase they originally said they would back the Iraq war and would support the bill, but when the UN held the summit they completely changed their policy and vetoed our resolution. The Germans betrayed us as well, but France has veto, so thye did more damage. Since then, it has spiraled out of control, in both nations, due to the media.

Yes, the French could have at least been upfront with our diplomats from the beginning. I saw a TV article (PBS? Discovery channel? can’t remember) that Colin Powell and the other diplomats were shocked at the actual vote, because the very day before the French and German diplomats he was talking to said they would support the US resolution.

I don’t think that we need a larger Army, we do have sufficient forces to deal with any situation (or two situations that may come up). The problem that we have is that we never leave (Germany, S. Korea, …) afterwards.

The other problem is that the media isn’t being accurate about the entire Iraq situation either. They want the story to read a certain way so they spin it into half-truths (another name for a lie) to sell more papers and to fit their preconcieved notions. For example, their story about the 911 commision was (and still is :evil: !!) that there was no link between Saddam and al-Queda. But this has been publically disputed by 1) The 911 commission members, 2) President Bush, 3) Russian President Putin. Putin actually said that Saddam was connected to Al Queda and wanted to give Al Queda weapons of mass destruction. But this should be the subject of another post. :lol:

LOL

• .Yeah, that really pissed me off. When the commission said that Sadaam did not assist Al-Queda in 9/11, the emdia went off to sya that absolutely no link exists, which is completely false. They have talked several times, proetcted Al-Queda terrorists, and provided them with with money and aid on several occasions. Stupid media :evil:

• @Guerrilla:

@cystic:

@Guerrilla:

GG

ummmm . . . be nice?

forgive me CC…

forgiven

Referring to people dying so one can get money and calling someone a bastard and a spammer??

the reference to people dying - brush up on your satire.
    as for Janus1’s reference - impolite, and very close to flaming. Still, it was difficult to disagree. Also he did not “call” him these things, but rather said that he was reminded of other posters with these qualities.

• @CommissarYarric:

You guys suck at staying on topic. You really, really suck. Very badly :lol: .

To clear up why we hate the french, it is becuase they originally said they would back the Iraq war and would support the bill, but when the UN held the summit they completely changed their policy and vetoed our resolution. The Germans betrayed us as well, but France has veto, so thye did more damage. Since then, it has spiraled out of control, in both nations, due to the media.

this is the right of the French to do, however. For them to at one point publically issue one opinion and change it the next day required something to happen. I’m not sure what this is - perhaps the US invasion plans were MUCH more hasty than they had anticipated, perhaps there was a discussion about their military and future capabiliities, or perhaps their best interests as a trading partner with Iraq arose and convinced them to change their minds.
    This is not new. The US does this on important issues that we have to deal with nearly daily. Commodities prices and stock prices, as well as jobs and the status of entire industries fluxuate directly in response to American “changes of heart” often with devestating consequences - and not just in my country, but all over the world. If we have to learn to deal with it, so can the US.

Now, i think we should employ a larger army, but as we are a volunteer force, that would be difficult. I would not have a problem with a mandatory 2 year service in the military at a certain age, or some other form of conscription, but that wont ever happen in America, so i might as well forget about it. To increase troop supply for the important wars like Iraq, we need to reorganize our deployment. We need to pull out of all the nations we had troops in becuase of the Cold War, and we also need to pull our troops out of S. Korea, becuase thye are not doing anything their. SImply put, N. Korea wont be attakcing anyone, they cant afford to. Go the Korea topic if you feel like debating or want to hear my reasons.

conscription is a terrible idea - in any country. I have no trouble with serving my country and i would be prepared to as a physician, or in a civic role. But a gov’t telling me to go out and kill people whether i want to or not is one of the most oppressive regimes i can imagine.

Another way we could increase troop supply is rearm Japan. Thye want desperatly to help in Iraq, and would always support America becuase we did, and still do, so much for their economy. They could get a large volunteer service together relatively quickly, and since the population has little fear of war compared to Europe, the people would undoubtedly support such a war by a majority or at least 50/50. The current size of Japan’s military forces is 180,000, but i beleive thatcould eb expanded at least two fold if promopted by America. Thats another 100,000 troops for Iraq at least. I dont think we should accept allowing Japan to help only in reconstruction and security in non-combat areas, like the recent bill allows. They should be equal participatants. OF course, America cant really force Jpaan to change it’s policy, but their are many politicians hwo want to change that policy. I think it could be done.

why would you expect them to double their forces at your whims, but not be allowed to help in reconstruction and security?
    And if this invasion was for the good of Iraq, why should the best firms (or at least the best prices) not benefit Iraq and Iraqi’s? (unless the war was for US self-interest - in which case the French are right to not participate).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m