• Wow: 7.1% odds. Now, the time it would take to play 14 of these games is the same as one or two standard games, but still, just go for Russia. Hitler WAS right to attack the Soviets instead of the Brits. Then again, Russia would have probably betrayed Hitler if Operation Sealion had actually happened . . .

• If I were doing this, I would first sink all my money into weapons development. If you get heavy bombers and/or long range aircraft it will greatly increase your odds. And if you fail on both counts, you’ll lose quickly.

• Some of you had possed the question of why “operation sealion” on turn G1? My answer to this is “Why not?” Your best and probably only chance to sack Britain in my mind is on G1. After turn one the smart British player will have made his little island into a fortress. Yes, even I realize that it was a all or nothing throw of the dice, but what the heck? I have nothing to prove to my fellow gamming brethern, I really was’nt playing to win this round. Just thought I would try an idea none of us in my game circle have had the guts to try before. Yes, “operation sealion on 1” does make for a short game either way it comes out, but hey, we still had enough time that night to roll a game of “Shogun”. Needless to say the Allied players from A&A teamed up against me and my Axis compaion and one of them became Shogun of the Japanese Island! Ahhh, sweet revenge!!!

• Usually, people play to win. And giving the game up to 7.1% chance (assuming the naval battle goes completely your way) isn’t a good bet, nor does it lead to a fun game.

• There’s all or nothing and then there’s this…

I personally think it’s a really tough gambit to go Sealion on G1. As has been pointed out above, there is a possibility for the Allies to take back England before G2, thus making the only real results the capture of all British money and the lack of such funds for UK1. BUT, Germany will not have the ability to invade again on G2 so the US can hold the island with 1 INF and be secure until UK2 when they’ll have some money back.

It IS a terrible setback for the Allies; it forestalls any UK defense of India, allows Germany to send a significantly larger army against Russia much earlier than expected (the extra 30 IPCs) and there is no help with the British fighters for the USSR either against Germany or against Japan.

However, it is not a guarantee of victory… the Allies are still strong enough economically to hold and if the US can get things rolling early they can stem the tide. If, however, Germany loses (which is as has been pointed out about 90% of the time give or take) it is der kaput for ze Germans. There is really no way that Germany can recover from the loss of the aircraft that it so desperately needs in order to hold out defensively long enough for Japan to get rolling in the East.

All in all, Germany should stay away from Sealion for the same reasons in game as they did in RL: the inability of the German navy to get significant enough amounts of troops to make invading and holding worthwhile. Rather, concentrate on Russia with hit-and-run tactics using the armour in order to keep softening them up while Japan whittles away in the east until you can go after Karelia.

Don’t throw away Axis air power!!! :D

• kyrial wrote:
    There is really no way that Germany can recover from the loss of the aircraft that it so desperately needs in order to hold out defensively long enough for Japan to get rolling in the East.

this is eaiser than it sounds. execut an all fronts attack on asia. attack Sinkian, India, Soviet Far East w/ 2 INF via trannie from Japan, bring the Japan fighter/bomber. and send ships to Pearl. you probably wont have much left where you win. but the allies wont have anything there to counter you, with the exception of russia. but this can be averted with a few quick strikes by germany to draw Russian Troops away from the east.

• M-4, I agree you can forestall things somewhat by going all out on J-1 because it’s true there really isn’t too much that the Allies can throw at Japan at least not right away.

However if Germany has gambled and lost, she has no aircraft left which means I don’t have to worry about transports at all which means I can basically leave transports off the coast of WEu or anywhere else without fear of retribution. This, I feel, enables the US to start shucking to Africa quicker, which reduces the majority of German IPC gains from G1-G2, and puts Germany in the hole all the quicker.

As for the Japan all out on J-1, yes its feasible but the problem is that if in one place or more you get bad rolls you are really in the hole and it’s tough to execute an all out attack on all of these places and win in all of them, or even just knock out defending troops. I still feel that Russia can launch a counter in the east, especially not having to worry as much about German troops because if Germany is smart they are bulking up their western front as well.

I think we all can agree on one thing: the operation is a HUGE gamble that will basically turn the game one way or another.

• its basically a way to play it out if you dont want a super long game. the way everyone plays just drags the game out too long sometimes. dont get me wrong though, i love a good contest. this is just something new to try that i havent noticed many people considering before

• :o EEXXXXCELLENTTT!!! :-? :) :lol: :D :-? 8) :wink:

• ha ha ha :D nice!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m