Six participants in the real D-Day

• This is pretty amazing. Nice job by the BBC. Not extensive, but very real. Includes newly released aerial recon of Omaha Beach, 59 years ago today!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/uk/03/d_day_iphoto/html/default.stm

I’m interested in anyone’s comments.

• The landing at Juno beach is being commemorated today as well with the memories of veterans discussed on the news etc. That just blows me away how a bunch of kids could be instilled with the kind of courage and discipline that was necessary for something so blindingly heroic and selfless.
    I’ve said it before - i’m a Mennonite, and a pacifist, however the memories of the actions of these people brings a prayer of thanks and a mist to my eyes.
    Of course the medic’s story is the most interesting to me as i often wonder what it would be like to work under those conditions - as many other Mennonites did.
    Amazing.

• Dang! Sorry I missed this earlier. Good stuff. I think some of this in bits and pieces would educate the civs and teenagers about war. I also believe there are some books that should be assigned( 1 of 2-3 choices) reading for high school and college students.

• My grandfather fought at D-Day as a member of the Brit’s Jewish Brigade.

• @EmuGod:

My grandfather fought at D-Day as a member of the Brit’s Jewish Brigade.

Like, wow. What tales has he told you? (I’m hoping he is living…?)

• Unfortunately he died before I was born but we do have a picture of him in his military uniform hanging in the living room. My dad has told me the stories he told him about how he started out in Austria-Hungary and eventually ended up in Mandate Palestine as a brigade soldier.

• To fight for liberation alongside brothers and colleagues and even see a new nation start to take shape must have been an amazing course of life!

• @ZimZaxZeo:

To fight for liberation alongside brothers and colleagues and even see a new nation start to take shape must have been an amazing course of life!

He was born in Austria-Hungary in 1900 but moved to GErmany, where he worked after World War 1. My dad told me his story about how he escaped Nazi Germany very early on in order to avoid Hitler’s racist beliefs and somehow qualified to go to Mandate Palestine despite the strict immigration quotas. There, he joined up with the Jewish Brigade that the Jews in Palestine formed to fight with the British against the Germans. He died in 1975 from complications after surgery.

• Just wondering, anybody have any idea what was the most disastrous charge in history? Pointe du Hoc was pretty terrible and so was the Omaha sand beaches in history, but do they compare in terms of percentage causalities like the famous Charge of the Light Brigade?

• What about Pickett’s Charge?

• Yeah, I was going to say that too. That was pretty devestating to the Army of Northern Virginia. Over 60 percent causalities… I can’t think of anything worst than that.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m