• Our nation’s birthday is drawing to an end, but for those war-aerial buffs out there, i’ve included a neat (neat? is it the 50’s again?) link for those of you interested in aerial bedtime reading from a Canadian perspective.
    Regards
    http://www.accessweb.com/users/mconstab/

“aerial bedtime reading” . . . that sounds kind of weird. Like one is flying around at bedtime, reading stuff. Would that be like reading the paper on the night-time flight to Frankfurt?
    anyway, you know what i mean, i hope.

• Thanks for the link! :D
    It’s time to see what you fellow Canucks are made of! 8)

• BTW, CC, no offense, but your Independence Day sucks! :x I’m serious, when I was over there during the summer, it seemed like you guys had no pride whatsoever! My relatives even said, “Well… all they ever have is this one segment of TV on how Canada ‘could’ve’ been part of United States if not for this battle and so and so.” I was expecting fireworks and parades, sadly there were none there :cry: In fact, I heard that more Canadian media attention goes to our 4th of July then it does for your nation’s birthday. :P Shame on you guys! :o I would be happy to be Candian (though happier to be American)! :wink:

• I read an article in the Toronto Star, a damned anti-semitic newspaper, that said that Canadian nationalism is highest this year from all the years of the last decade.

• Let’s hope so… if it was anything like it was 5 years ago, I’m going have to go to Canada myself and show you guys how to celebrate! :roll:

• Canadians aren’t as patriotic as Americans. For example, in Canada and the USA, burial sites from the war of 1812 were found. The Americans turned them into national sites while in Canada, a shopping mall was built over the site. It just shows that there is a difference between the two countries.

• I see… that’s pretty sad. :cry:
    And we’re suppose to be on the same side! Damn those Englishmen for trying to rule over us! :wink:

• In the War of 1812 America tried to invade Canada but the Candians won and repelled the American invasion. At one point in the war, Michigan state had been captured by Canada and became part of it. Don’t forget that Canadians gave the American capital building its name after they burned it down and the Americans were forced to re-paint it white, hence the name the White House.

• BTW, CC, no offense, but your Independence Day sucks! I’m serious, when I was over there during the summer, it seemed like you guys had no pride whatsoever!

That’s not a very large vision… Each culture celebrate differently, it does’nt “suck” for them and that is the important thing because it is THEIR day. They just express their pride differently and you should respect that.

• Well, I be the first to admit that our army campaign into Canada wasn’t exactly suburb. Wretched planning (three pronged invasion, what were we thinking!?), poor readiness, ill-trained irregualars, horrible supple lines, and 2nd rate Generals. :x

However, later on in the war, Armstrong was able to remove some of the aging generals and replaced them with men of drive and proven competence. The new major generals included Andrew Jackson in the South, Jacob Brown on the Niagara frontier, and George Izard at Plattsburgh near the upper end of Lake Champlain along with the proven Winfield Scott. With better-trained infantrymen, we were able to reserve some of our misfortunes we suffered early on. Plus you can’t compete with Commodore Perry – this military genius was able to best the Brits at their own game. :P

• “That’s not a very large vision… Each culture celebrate differently, it does’nt “suck” for them and that is the important thing because it is THEIR day. They just express their pride differently and you should respect that.”

Well from my point of view, I was disappointed. And here I was with my get-up ready to party like it was 1945. Also, my Canadian relatives were likewise sadden about the lack of enthusiasm. To them, “Independence day… so what?” Also, FinsterniS you have to understand when someone is being playful. I’m sure I inserted more than enough emoticons to show I was borderline sarcastic. Case in point, I even said I would be happy to be Canadian. And I just don’t say that about any country. :P

• First of all the reason that we did not capture Canada in the war of 1812 is that most of our troops refused to cross into Canada.

Second, even though we had no REAL standing army we easily drove off the British at Baltimore, the only reason that you took Washington was because we had no army. A ragtag band of sailors and miltia was enough to drive you off.

• Yep, our rag-tag bunch of sailors held off pretty long and gave a spirited defense on those Brits and Canucks! :D

The only reason we invaded Canada was because of some midwestern (during that time period) War Hawks felt howdy-duty in taking a chunk of land that the Easterns even objected against.

• @EmuGod:

Canadians aren’t as patriotic as Americans.

…nah man, I’m VERY patriotic! So’s everyone I know (in Canada). I was in Holland for this Canada day, so I ran down the street waving around my huge canadian flag, it ruled!

• Well Moses, i can appreciate what you said - i too believe that we could take a page from America in pride in our country. Having said that, our celebrations are getting louder, more hype, and the fireworks are always quite groovy. In Winnipeg some streets shut down entirely for festivals over the weekend, and there’s always a great party at the Forks (the city’s meeting place).
    But yeah, i’ve been to Wash D.C. for July 4th. . . there is little to compare between the sedate capital of Canada and one of the greatest cities in the world (clearly i liked D.C.).

• Well it better be! :evil: :wink:

Next time I bring my get-up (shirt tuxedo, dashiki, hookah, Egyptian belly dancers, monster shades, 60’s style accessories, ghetto blaster, inflatable rubber women, and all the other good stuff) to visit Canada on your Independence Day, you guys better be partying. 8) (My relatives live mainly live in BC with some in Ontario).

Just don’t get too rowdy. Here in Los Angeles some people think it’s “patriotic” to fire their guns into the air. Yep, some people can’t realize one of the basic laws of physics AKA “what goes up most come down.” Nor is 4th of July the “Ultimate Happy Hour” for those without designated drivers. Looking at California’s traffic DUI record, it figures mixing driving with alcohol does NOT insure a safe drive. And in the heavily wooded and dry parts of Southern California, even more think it’s okay to fire fireworks out into the bushes. Again, looking at California’s fire record, I don’t need to explain the stupidity in it all. Kids should not be playing M60’s or even M80’s either. Look at California’s emergency hospital – I think we see a trend going on here. :roll:

BTW: Accidents cause people! :wink:
    BTW1: Washington DC sucks! Look at it’s crime, prostitution, and drug rates compared to the rest of the country. Need I say more?

• ok moses, my ass fell off reading that last post,
    and if you live there, then DC may well suck. As a tourist staying with my cousin’s family, i had a great time in DC. Except, of course, that i could not readily access said drugs and prostitution :wink:

• Yeah, I guess DC is a good place to visit if you’re a tourist. But, like Hollywood, you don’t want to live there. :wink:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m