• What d’you think of this as a guideline for China strategy?

China is often written off by players because all its units are infantry and all its territory is virtually worthless. It isn’t worth Japan’s time to take it, and it can hardly attack back. However, a cunning US player can use the Chinese to seriously impede Japan.

1. The northern parts of China give a threat to Manchuria/Korea/Shantung and Hong Kong - an economically vital area. By having infantry there that could potentially attack one Japanese square, you force Japan to waste infantry guarding them, or to launch a pre-emptive attack. If the Japanese attack,
      then retreat, drawing his units into central China where they are far from transports and the main battle area. If the Japanese don’t attack, then move infantry towards the front, meaning Japan has to leave an even bigger garrison.

2. Yunnan is very important in determining combats in Burma. If Japan takes it, then they can attack Burma from 2 spaces instead of 1, making life difficult for the Indian Army. The US can use it to move Chinese troops to the defence of India, or as a base for a cheeky raid on a lightly-guarded Indo-China (immensely irritating for Japan if it works).

Also be careful to hang on to the fighter, and any other American air that comes your way (send a bomber over via Australia?), since they are the crucial part of any raid or stalling attack by Chinese troops. That said, Chinese infantry and territory is very expendable and you shouldn’t be afraid either to retreat, or to sacrifice infantry for Japanese units and IPCs.

ChrisK

• That doesn’t sound like a bad plan, but as Japan I think I could netralize it by reducing your initial force in the outer territories to a minimum, while taking few loses (using a couple of fighters and maybe some artillery). You would then probably retreat from the outer territories to concentrate your forces, leaving me free to ignore you for a couple of turns untill you slowly creep back to the front from Szechwan. The key for the Japanese is not to get lured into China were their forces can quickly be worn down and encircled.

• I fail to see the point of trying to cap India through China anyways. Once the allies see Jap dumping hordes of troops to China they just sit back and stock up on infantry. I’ve tried to do this with Japan and by the time i get to India my reinforcements are 1+ turn away and my attacking force just kinda stalls out. If you gonna try to win with Jap capturing a capital, try Australia. Amass a fleet with loads of trannies and protect it with AC’s, a BB or 2, some DD’s and haul balls south. I have found that you are better off going for VP’s though, since Australia is in reach of fighters coming from US to help defend in 1 movement turn.

• I think I agree with both of you. I think Japan should just about ignore China on turn #1. That’s to say use everything you can on the other allies as they defend on a 1 on the first round, anything that can’t be used elsewhere should be used against China but nothing really risky.

Japan sooner or later will need that extra 1 or 2 IPCs to get that extra victory point. Often in latter rounds that is the China territories so China should keep that in mind.

I’d agree that it always seems to take ‘just one more round’ for the India invasion. Since Japan must push outwards for 3-4 rounds a good Australia threat might cause resources to be diverted there, then as you fall back perhaps you fall back really fast right into India.

I plan on VPs for Japan so I spend 80% on navy, mostly subs, the odd transport to get units of Japan. I thought I’d never need more transports as Japan but I usually end up build 1-2.

I haven’t played AAP in some time so I am still trying to figure out how to beat Japan. It ain’t gonna happen with the VPs at 22.

BB

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m