• OK, I was reading ‘Soldiers’ which discusses a lot of aspects of warfare, and the history of things like artillery, infantry, cavalry, etc. I even read that there were talks of revolution by the soldiers when guns were introduced, because they liked the old traditional ways better. Would you rather have warfare like it was back THEN (swords, spears, cavalry, etc) or NOW (machine guns, tanks, planes….)

Personally, I’m not really sure which I prefer…both are appealing to me! Warfare nowadays though is becoming more dependent on machine than man, which I think is a shame. By the way, I plan to join the Canadian infantry in November (but I’ve heard my application won’t go through for a few months, but that’s ok)

• Yeah, there are lots of advantages and disadvantages to each. Personally, I’d go with guns and that since I’m a pretty good shot with a rifle. Of course, I’m more of supporter of Civil War Era technology and formation. The thought of fully automatic weapons, weapons of mass destruction, NBCs, carpet bombing don’t sound appealing to me as a grunt.

• '19 Moderator

I would have to agree with the civil war technology. But, if by formations you are referring to combat tactics, I would like to go along the lines of the Swamp Fox or Mao combined with the strategy of my hero Thomas Jackson.

On a side note I read somewhere that Longstreet wanted to implement a WWI type strategy of trenches in Northern Va. Interesting to think how that would have changed the tactics of future wars.

• The Civil War did deningrate into trench warfare around Petersburg.

• '19 Moderator

Well i could be wrong, but the way I understood it Longstreet wanted to develope an network of trences along the northern border and try to prevent the Union forces from intering the south.

• i’d have to go with the medevil for several resons. one i’m a man of honour so it would be nice to back to a day when there was honour in war, and i’m not a big fan of push botton warfare. and lastly i’m a damn good bowman

• I would prefer back then, but japan did that, and they had to do some quick thinking to modernize.

my point? we can’t retrogress or an alien race will take us over, or a big comet will collide into earth.

• “But, if by formations you are referring to combat tactics, I would like to go along the lines of the Swamp Fox…”

Oh I see I’m not the only fan of the “Swamp Fox,” Francis Marion! :grin: He was one of the first, successful Brigadier General to perfect the tactics of gorilla fighting. We’ll show those redcoats in the South!

• Gorilla warfare? you must really like planet of the apes.

• Well the First Planet of the Apes was a great movie - a true classic. Sadly, I can say the same for the newer remake.

• newer remake sucks…

the third one sucked but 1 2 4 and 5 were good.

• Yeah, I know they made at least 3 Planet of the Apes “prequels.” Never got around to seeing a few of them. How did the series end? Dumb humans, using apes as their slaves and having them turn on you. It figures.

• I love gorilla warfare. My favorite tactic is to use fast moving companies of samurai monkey skirmers to raid enemy positions, causing heavy enemy causalties before withdrawing.

The planet of the Apes movies were as follows,

1. Planet of the Apes

2. Beneath the Planet of the Apes

3. Escape from Planet of the Apes

4. Conquest of the planet of the Apes

5. Battle for the planet of the Apes

I can see how you didn’t like number three. However, my least favorite was number five, it made absolutely no sense.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m