• D-Day on Turn 4? Hmm, are you sure you can do it? If Germany has 4 or 5 fighters left he/she can make it hard. Maybe Spain?

• I base this from previous knowledge that the Germans will need at least some sort of Luftwaffe to defend their positions in Eastern Europe. Also if Germany keeps all 4 fighters at Western Europe, the Allies can still win! Remember, when I land in WE with America, I will be able to take Western Europe upwards of 6 German inf. and 4 ftrs. (78.3% chance) If that still enough, remember you still have an invasion fleet by the UK to preempt the invasion.

• Hmm, but I would think on turn 4 Germany would still have a considerable offensive Advantage over Russia. The Luftwaffe could be stationed in Western Europe.

• –-- Double Post ----
    Delete this one

[ This Message was edited by: TG Moses VI on 2002-06-02 13:54 ]

• If this happens and the Luftwaffe is entirely stationed in WE, I still have a chance of wiping out German’s airforce (and their hopes of winning the war) and one fellow swoop. Remember, the UK-USA D-Day invasion can be devastating. Unless the Germans “super stack” or have excellent luck with AA guns (and this has happened to me), there’s virtually no way to hold out against two waves of 8 inf, 2 ftrs, 1 BR and 14 inf, 2 ftrs, and 1 BR.

If I were a younger man, I would write a history of human stupidity; and I would lie down on my back with my history for a pillow; and I would make a statue of myself, lying on my back, grinning horribly, thumbing my nose at You Know Who. - Bokonon

[ This Message was edited by: TG Moses VI on 2002-06-02 13:53 ]

• Well, again, it matters how heavily Germany has WE stacked. Personally, If I’m getting pounded all out early in the game, I hold Western Europe as if it was Germany. But, Germany may be lulled into lightly defending it if you go medium on Japan.

• Well on best 2 out of 3 games, I do see “super-stacks” in Western Europe once I crush the German on the 4th turn. However, what I do is bypass their defenses in Western Europe by landing in Eastern Europe. Then I just Conveyor Belt all my forces from UK and Eastern Canada. With Germany having to shift forces to Southern and Germany from Western Europe, I hit Western Europe when they are weakest. Keep in mind that D-Day occurs, but at a later time.

• I definately agree, few people expect an Eastern Europe assault by sea.

• Eastern Europe is a good choice considering that you have the Russians to back you up. :smile: However, has anybody ever tried Southern Europe as a striking point? The reason why I haven’t tried this before is that in order to do so, you have to be on the French Coast Sea Zone (forgot its real name). The problem is that it kills your ATB since you lose a turn minimum needed to transport force. But with Southern Europe heavily understrengthed (probably the weakest defended of all of Germany’s territories) and 6 IPCs free for the taking, it is an inviting target. I report on this later.

• Problem with Southern Europe is you can see it a mile away. But, try bluffing and attacking Western Europe instead.

• Now that I have a better chance to look at the game board, I’m thinking of using the “Final Solution.” No, not the Jewish solution, but instead cutting off the head of the Viper, Germany itself. At least I know it works. I’m this one game we played, Russia had taken Eastern Europe on his turn but at heavy cost. On Germany’s turn, they stacked in Southern Europe, Western, and Germany. My allies we’re able to convince the German into thinking that the US/UK D-Day invasion would come at Western Europe, where it was the second most heavily defended (next to Europe). Instead, we used the US and UK turn to land in Germany. We still weren’t able to take it. So on the next round, Russia was able to take Germany and seal the game. The Germans were able to recapture Germany on their turn, but the IPC loss was unbearable that they couldn’t hold out much longer.

• I almost never take it, but threatening Southern Europe is the best way to get Eastern Europe to fall, especially if Germany is still in Africa. Once both the US and UK fleet are established, I will usually land 8-10 US infantry in Algeria and keep the UK in the North Sea, forcing Germany to try and defend all four countries. This is a bluff unless they don’t defend Southern Europe - I leave the men to mop up Africa and eventually push towards Japan.

If you time the Africa landing right Germany can’t defend all four countries, and either WE or EE will fall for good. Usually they will just be forced to pull out of Eastern Europe.

• Pulling out of Eastern Europe is a deathtrap! But seriously, you’re screwed if you did and screwed if you don’t since you’re know forced to defend two separate territories along with the unbearable 3 IPC loss. But anyways, Western Europe is probably the most feasible and the most advantageous of all the territories to take with USA and UK. But if you can position your transports correctly, you can strikes all German territories at once depending what is the most heavily under-defended.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m