• I forgot to mention one of the most important factors! By having your transports operate from the North Sea, every turn you are threatening…

Western Europe
    Germany
    Eastern Europe
    Algeria

… with a one-two punch from the UK and US, or a one-two-three punch to Eastern Europe with Russia!

“A clever military leader will succeed in many cases in choosing defensive positions of such an offensive nature from the strategic point of view that the enemy is compelled to attack us in them.” - Moltke

[ This Message was edited by: Ansbach on 2002-05-30 15:22 ]

• “TG Boozer!
    Your strategy for US sucks@Q@”

First of all, I know my strategies aren’t perfect. I know that. That’s why I posted them and hope to find some suggestions and comments. But at least I take pride in what I do, which is more than what I can say for you.

• FinsterniS, this is the first time I’ve seen you here. Welcome to a new domain :smile:
    I’m intrested on what you have to say on the game strategies and principles.

• Ansbach
    Yeah, I guess you’re right. However this is one of four strategies. The second one is the expected “Let’s help our Commie Friends” (some ATB), the third “Japan, this is for Pearl Harbor” (a boatload of ATB), and “Whacky Fun Hour” (I’m not even going to get into this).

Now in “Let’s help our Commie Friends,” I do use your principles. That means to continuous stream of forces from Eastern Canada. However, the main problem is two other Fronts, Western Europe and Africa. With Africa, it is hard to liberate the continent with a limited supply of infantry on the first few turns or wait until the later turns when I have sufficiently built a transport force. This gives the German an advantage. 11 IPCs per turn make up for 2 inf per turn. Under my strat I am hitting the German as soon as possible.

Then we have Western Europe. Now there’s nothing wrong with your strat. I use a slightly different variation of it myself in fact. However, sometimes I don’t like the Russians getting all the credit and keeping some “historically realism.” Now under your strat I can only get 10 inf or maybe 12 into Western Europe per turn. That is simply not enough to take Western Europe, especially if the German plans for it ahead of time. Under my strat. I hit Germany with such overwhelming force that the only way they can possibly stop it is with fighter defense – and even then the outcome is very unlikely for them. This takes away too much from the Eastern Front, which also needs those fighters. And when Germany can’t take back Western Europe, the 6 IPC loss is unbearable for him. He has lost the game and must hold out for long as possible in Germany itself.

• “you can swing around South America very early and tie up the US in the Atlantic for a few turns with a pretty large navy operating out of South Africa. I believe he’s saying your strategy is overly susceptible to it.”

I will work to correct and counterstroke that move as soon as possible. Be sure to respond with my answer as soon as possible.

• Well, your strategy doesn’t allocate extra defense to hold against Japaneese BBs/Carriers in the 3rd or 4th turn. That force establishing a South African IC, and defending it, is going to be hard to Oust, and Germany is going to have a few turns of breathing space.

• “That force establishing a South African IC, and defending it, is going to be hard to Oust, and Germany is going to have a few turns of breathing space.”

If this happens, then I mentioned it in my notes. Here we go

“Depending on the strength of the German presence, you may want to refrain from these attacks and instead just try to take Libya. If you find that the German may be too powerful to handle even with 6 inf., 1 ARM, you may consider moving the 2 ftrs and 1 bomber from Britain to Algeria or even hold off on the Normandy Invasion for a turn.”

Even then my strat has a fail safe against such a defense. Again, I help slow the Japan down and force the Germans to further divert forces in Africa (taking away somewhat from Russia depending on how much they want to devot in order to counter). As for the Japanese IC, that’s 15 IPCs and a transport just to move forces to take South Africa. Then there’s operation cost. After the first turn, Japan can only supply 2 inf or 2 ARM.

• Now that I had the time to overlook my strategy I found a some weaknesses in a South Africa IC by the Japanese.

“Well, your strategy doesn’t allocate extra defense to hold against Japaneese BBs/Carriers in the 3rd or 4th turn. That force establishing a South African IC, and defending it, is going to be hard to Oust, and Germany is going to have a few turns of breathing space.”

What strikes me as intresting is that I really don’t have to worry about a South Africa IC as it happens. One quick look at the A&A map and we see it’ll take at least 4 turns to reach South Africa. What I see as odd is that shouldn’t South Africa have already fallen to the Germans? I would think so. Another problem, since this does take 4 turns, on USA’s turn I am already landing at Normandy.

Here’s what my notes say, “Also this is one of the only turns where I will allow America to make a different purchase like a bomber or ftr. It all depends on how many more inf. are needed in Europe or Africa.”

Therefore after Normandy, I can start transfering forces to Africa if need be.

Then there’s another problem. It is not until turn 6 does a African IC become a problem to me (Japan cannot place an IC on a recently conquered territory and you can only place newly purchased units in territories where you have owned a IC since the beginning of your turn). By turn 6 the game should well be over for Germany and then the Allies can turn their full might to Japan.

• “you can swing around South America very early and tie up the US in the Atlantic for a few turns with a pretty large navy operating out of South Africa. I believe he’s saying your strategy is overly susceptible to it.”

Now that I have had the proper time to research this question, I think I can handle it. In this strategy I will use the “Great Lure.” Here’s what I do to make sure I keep Japanese forces in the Atlantic. On America’s T1, instead of counterattacking from Western USA, I instead shift my forces to the Alaskan Sea Zone. What this does is place me in direct opposition to Japan’s merchant fleet for T2. Seeing this, Japan must now move its navy to counter this move. I have now saved 2 turns in which the Japanese are bottlenecked in the Pacific.

• Or if you are not completely satisfied with that answer, let’s say Japan makes an attempt at moving in the Atlantic. Now their task force is pretty big, but now they have to go around the South America to reach Atlantic Channels. Only problem is that it takes 5 turns in order to that. By then, I would’ve landed all my forces at Normandy. In my next move I reinforce my positions by purchasing a combining the two American and UK fleets together. 11 transports and one carrier w/ 2 ftrs seems quite a formidable defense force, no? I will win 99% of the time against even the strongest Japanese task force.

• But at least I take pride in what I do, which is more than what I can say for you.

TG DON’T BE GIVIN ANY HOLY THAN THOUGH CRAP TO ME. I WILL PERSONELLY HACK YOUIR COMPUTER AND BLOW YOU LIKE YA MOMMA DID TO ME.

• Your going to blow him?!?!?

Hack my comp, go ahead, Bring it bitch.

Someone who spells that bad can’t be that bright.

• This is hard to make a powerfull allies strategy since Axis are leading the game. The action of the German/Japan on the first turn can easely compromise any strategy, a fortiori Axis tend/must be in some way unpredictable to beat the allies juggernaut.

Most game ive played all axis force were playing on two major front since they decide, often in turn 3, to concentrate on a front.

Often the game is psychological & strategical, so i never really build a main generic strategy, but i really find your ideas interesting. You are rigth about the turn 1 of the US; i should be defencive, ive never (never!) played as the US but most of my opponent/allies US seem to be really nervous.

Also, i think the US should not concentrate too much on germany, japan is expending fast and when attaking russia it help a lot Germany. The best way to make germany in trouble is to stop japan from attaking massively russia. But sure, sometime (often) you cannot concentrate all your IPC on japan…

• Anonymous or “Osoma”

“TG DON’T BE GIVIN ANY HOLY THAN THOUGH CRAP TO ME. I WILL PERSONELLY HACK YOUIR COMPUTER AND BLOW YOU LIKE YA MOMMA DID TO ME.”

Please, if you must insult me, then at least do it correctly. And I’m also interested in how you’re going to hack my computer and “blow” me. Is there some sort of way you can all of a sudden get into my computer and get it to explode on me? I hope you are not serious, as I have never done anything to you.

• FinsterniS, it’s good to see someone who still thinks the Axis can wipe the floor with the Allies. There is certainly a psychological and metagame involved when playing Axis and Allies, as with any competitive game. The metagame is as complex as any strategy encountered in a competition. So a confident Axis player (and those are hard to come by) definitely does have the benefit of not only setting the tempo but pressuring the Allies into making mistakes.

As for Japan, hopefully be the end of the 4th turn I can start bringing the war to Japan’s home front. What does that mean? Well, I don’t mean building a huge Navy (though you’re free to do one), but making sure that Africa does not fall into Japanese hands and that Russia can turn full force to defend the Kremlin. With Germany on its last leg, UK and USA should be able to mop up whatever is left.

• Exactly, If Russia and the Allies work hard in the begining of the game to kill Germany, Russia can divert it’s attention wholely to Japan once Germany’s back is broken.

• Quick question here. Do you wait until all of Germany has fallen before finally going after Japan. Normally I would take Germany, but if German forces have somehow escaped encirclement and are bent on one last stand at Berlin, I will instead just fortify my current positions. I draw this from the fact that is is less expensive and easier to defend than go on the offensive.

• Well, once I have Germany down to 16 Economy or so, I start building a fleet in the Pacific (slowly, still bringing troops to Europe), and I start putting more Infantry east with Russia.

• Well since I usually do not Pearl Harbor on the first turn, I will instead focus on keeping the Japanese outside of Russia and Egypt once German is on its dying whale. Then with the might of the Allies, I slowly push them back out of Asia. Works like a charm :smile:

• Anyways, thanks all for your input? I like it when you think my strats are great, but I love it if you disagree with me. :wink:

Because of this, I changed some of my USA strats to Accommodate the “what-if Japan” move on the first turn.

Here’s my USA Strat (Version 2.5) I changed over the weekend.

Moses’ Masterpiece #5: USA!
    Here are my thoughts on the general American strategy I tend to use. Beside each turn I’ve included a number of notes to help you when executing this strategy. Strategy is based on standard A&A rules with the exception of Russia Restricted and Submerging.

1. USA (36 IPCs)
    Buy 3 Transports, 4 Inf.
    Non-Combat Move: Transport w/ 2 inf., bomber, and 1 ftr to Britain from EUSA. 1 ftr from WUSA to Eastern Canada. Unload transport to Britain. Move 1 Battleship and 1 transport from Western USA to Alaska Sea Zone.
    Remaining IPCs: 0
    Income: 34 IPCs
    Total: 4 Transports, 6 Inf., 1 ARM (based on troops in EUSA)
    Notes: As you can see USA doesn’t have any offensives on the first turn. Being conservative with USA on the first turn allows for USA to be more aggressive in later turns. Also by pulling your aircraft from USA, there’s no way of successfully counter attack against Japan. This means that Japan is free to take Hawaii, New Zealand, and Australia with the bulk of its Navy. Reason for the movement of the BB and Trans to the Alaskan Sea Zone? What this move does is force Japan to send it’s Navy to intercept my task force. The action will cost them at least a Carrier w/2 planes or 2 BB’s that would normally have gone to Brazil or South Africa if Japan wishes to establish an IC there. Without those forces, Japan’s Navy is vulnerable to an attack by the UK carrier w/2 ftrs. If Japan does not fall for the bait, then I storm the Japanese sea hoping to destroy as many transports as possible. If Japan takes the bait then it’ll take them at least 6 turns to reach Brazil or South Africa! Income of 34 IPCs is based on Japan taking East China.

2. USA (34 IPCs)
    Buy: 2 Transports, 6 inf
    Combat move: Land 4 Transports w/ 6 inf. and 1 ARM to Algeria (3 from EUSA, 1 from Britain). Strategic bomb Germany.
    Non-Combat Move: Move bomber back to Britain. Move ftr. From E. Canada to Britain.
    Income: 32 IPCs
    Total: 6 Transports, 6 inf. (based on all existing transports)
    Notes: If there is any better way to land that many men in N. Africa on the second turn, then I’m all ears. To prepare against a possible counterattack from the Luftwaffe on T3, USA must have full cooperation from UK by getting that power to move it’s carrier w/ 2 ftrs to protect America’s transport fleet off Spain. Income of 32 IPCs is based on Japan taking Hawaii and West China on T2.

3. USA (32 IPCs)
    Buy: 1 Transport, 8 inf
    Combat move: Strategic bomb Germany. Move into Libya and both French Africa’s.
    Non-Combat Move: Move all transports back to EUSA. Move bomber to Britain.
    Income: 33 IPCs
    Total: 7 Transports, 14 inf.
    Notes: Depending on the strength of the German presence, you may want to refrain from these attacks and instead just try to take Libya. If you find that the German may be too powerful to handle even with 6 inf., 1 ARM, you may consider moving the 2 ftrs and 1 bomber from Britain to Algeria or even hold off on the Normandy Invasion for a turn.

4. USA (33 IPCs)
    Buy: 11 inf.
    Combat move: Land in Western Europe with 7 loaded Transports supported by 2 ftrs and 1 Bomber. Move further into Africa.
    Non-Combat Move: Move bombers and 2 ftrs back to Britain or Africa.
    Income: 39 IPCs
    Total: 7 Transports, 11 inf.
    Notes: Finally D-Day on T4! Usually America will be able to take Western Europe upwards of 6 German inf. and 4 ftrs. However, expect huge losses at WE and the possible counter attack of Germany on T5. You can soften the blow by letting UK land first at WE (they should have a pretty sizeable transport force by now) or later after the Germans have successfully counterattacked. At any point Germany will have to spend a sizable amount of manpower to protect its Western flank. Also this is one of the only turns where I will allow America to make a different purchase like a bomber or ftr. It all depends on how many more inf. are needed in Europe or Africa.

5. USA (39 IPCs)
    Buy: 1 transport, 10 inf.
    Combat Move: Strategic bomb Germany. Push further into Africa.
    Non-Combat Move: Move transports back to Eastern Canada. Move bomber back to Britain/Africa. Move 11 inf from EUSA to ECanada.
    Remaining IPCs: 1
    Income: 39 IPCs
    Total: 8 transports, 22 inf
    Notes: Anyways, you should be able to split transports into two groups: one headed to Russia/Africa or WE. The Luftwaffe shouldn’t be much more of a threat anymore. If Germany is strong enough to take WE back, then invade again. 16 inf alone is good enough to take down at least 10 defending inf and further away drain German manpower. At any rate Germany should fall soon and you can start transferring forces to Africa or Russia to deal with Japan. What you could do is set up the “Conveyor Belt” method of ferrying troops into Algeria or Norway through Eastern Canada. Almost 16 inf per turn can pack quite the punch.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m