• '19 Moderator

Well here is an update for the curious. UK2 has just finnished.

The Allies (Dezrtfish) Are taking a pounding. It is round two and the Germans have managed to take Moscow! They are spread a bit thin but have 75 IPC from the conquest of moscow to spend on reenforcing.

The Japs are moving a bit slow and have traded Manchuria for India but have yet to enter China.

The brits are just recovering from the initial pounding by the Luftwafa, and have begun to rebuild their fleet.

The US west coast fleet is in route to the atlantic to bolster the newly developing fleet there.

More news to come.

• Round II and the Germans already captured Moscow!!?? Either this Cameron character is a very daring and expert lad, or he’s been getting some very lucky die rolls. It would be worthy of note to see if you can pull through and manage to win. :smile:

BTW: Don’t the Axis automatically win once they have achieve 66 (?) IPCs on the tracking chart? Or this given the extra income Germany makes in capturing an Allied capital?

“Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be.” - Aldolf Galland
    “The crate? The crate matters not. It is the man who pilots the create that truely counts.”

[ This Message was edited by: TG Moses VI on 2002-05-21 15:45 ]

• i think it’s 84 Moses. Also the 75 likely includes both Germany’s income and Russia’s prior income. . . although i guess i could have left this reply to dezrtfish as i really don’t know what’s going on.
    sorry for butting in.
    pre-exam jitters . . . .

• '19 Moderator

LOL… CC

You are correct on both counts.

• :lol:

• Yep, it’s 84. But I don’t really like economic victory anyways (whether it’s for the axis or the allies) I’d rather take the capitals!

• My plan is to have the championship game be posted in a special thread.

• Ok, 84. Thanks :smile:
    It’s been so long since I played with economic victory and kept track of the IPC count that I sort of forgot. If you’re at 84, chances are that you already won without the special condition.

BTW: What’s the IPC victory condition for the Allies? I know it can’t be 84.

• Oh, and I think that a Special Turn-by-Turn commentary on the Championship Game would be a great idea. Just be sure to get the two players permission first (executive confidentiality).

Winner gets bragging rights!

“Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be.” - Aldolf Galland
    “The crate? The crate matters not. It is the man who pilots the create that truely counts.”

[ This Message was edited by: TG Moses VI on 2002-05-22 21:34 ]

• BTW: What’s the IPC victory condition for the Allies? I know it can’t be 84. - moses

You’re mostly right. Usually by the time the Axis have 84 Russia’s either fallen, or they are down to their last 18-10 IPC’s.
    I don’t believe Allies have an IPC victory (and yes, 84 isn’t nearly enough). They get to take 2 capitals (but usually once Germany falls, it’s all over but the crying - unless you are Germany, and then you’re sometimes already crying).

• I wouldn’t say that once Germany falls, the Axis are finished. Japan can put up a feverish battle on the Allies if Germany had bought them the necessary time in holding out to the last Wermacht in Berlin. And even then, there are times were where you see small pockets of German resistance in Africa, the Mediterranean Fleet alongside the Japanese Imperial Fleet, and the Luftwaffe flying all the way to Japanese held territory to live to fight another day. :smile:

• Defeat for the Axis is inevitable, though, it takes sometime to finish them off. However, that is the funnest part playing as Japan when you know that defeat is inevitable and you just want to inflict as many casualties as possible and resist as long as possible.

• Well not always. Sometimes numbers lie. If Japan manages to knock out Russia in due time (right before or after the fall of Germany), it can still win the game even if the Allies have a higher IPC count. This is because Japan has the ability to move all its forces at once while US and UK are split.

• I’ve won after Germany falls via Economic victory with Japan a few times.

• Quick question, do you guys play with economic victory for the Axis and/or Allies? Usually I won’t since I don’t consider it a real victory. It’s like saying, I make more money than you, and therefore I win.

• Both usually for me, 110 for allies, 84 for Axis.

• Oh so it’s 110 IPCs for the Allies. Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

• Nice move. And it isn’t the first time where I seen a strong Japan go all out for Tech Rolls after Germany has fallen. Even then HBRs hardly show up, but the Hawaii-Alaska move you pulled off is an excellent way to use them.

However, even with three Allies, it is still possible to take Russia (provided most Allied forces are stacked in Germany, Eastern Europe, Kaarelia). The difficulty is holding Russia. Here’s my ideal situation (sorry for the repost):

Japan should position itself in is this:
    a. Let Germany fall to the Russians (now in really life Patton and his 3rd should’ve taken Berlin… but that is a different story).
    b. If you really want to damage the Allies in the long run, also let the Russians take Eastern Europe, Norway, and Ukraine on the previous turns, and on the same turn Berlin falls, let the Russians take Southern Europe.
    c. On Japan’s turn, use your massive ARM, ftr, and inf force to storm Moscow! (again, not in real life… but it’s just a game)
    d. Now by Japan taking Moscow, what have I done? Not only is Russia knocked out of the game, but most of Eastern Europe along with it. The former territories I told you about: Ukraine, EE, SE, Norway, and Germany have all effectively become worthless territories (not to mention Karelia and Caucasus until Japan can take them). Effectively I have robbed USA and UK of (3+3+2+6+10) 24 potential German IPCs!
    e. Now this is the real killing joke. When I take a Capital that means I collect all the IPCs that the former owner of the captured capital has. Not only am stripping the Russian economy but the Germans IPCs too, which were previously under Russian control.
    f. Spend all my money on tanks and infantry from which I can overrun the Allies.

Again, this too requires a lot of luck, but this way I won’t run the risk of having to drive into tech rolls.

• One problem though Moses, I never would take Germany with Russia :smile: Always, Always, Always I take it with UK if possible, and otherwise I’d take with US.

• Well of course this is ideal. But it just goes to show how a smart Japanese player can prevail in the end. Even then, if Germany falls to UK and USA and Russia to Japan, the true battleground is for the Eastern Europe bloc and Africa. Remember, since the combined UK and USA force cannot attack at the same time, any Japanese player has the advantage. Imagine that, an Island Nation smaller than California going off to conquer the world. Sounds far fetched doesn’t it?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m