AA50: Strategic - Core Rule #3 –> Making Techs Viable for Competitive Play

• @gamerman01:

@Wilson2:

So are you saying that LRA is better than HB?

Yes I am - I think it is better in most cases.  If I’m Japan or USA, long range air is the best, in my opinion.  For Germany HB is probably better.

You seem to be saying that depending on what nation you are one tech is better than the other, right? If that’s true wouldn’t that make them roughly the same?
    Also are you saying that LRA is bad because it is too good for its price or just too good. Because if it is too good for its price, in this version (at least for now) LRA is an ultimate tech meaning that it costs a minimum of 30 IPCs to research. (If you only buy 2 (30 IPCs) dice, it may take 2-3 rounds to get) What is your take on CJs tech system?

• 2022 '15 '11 '10 Official Q&A Moderator

@Wilson2:

You seem to be saying that depending on what nation you are one tech is better than the other, right?

Yes.

If that’s true wouldn’t that make them roughly the same?

I think you mean, they are roughly comparable as to desirability, overall.  If so, yes, they are roughly the same.  Sometimes it’s better to get HB, but probably more often it’s better to get LRA.  It’s situational - but my pet peeve is when people act like heavy bombers is by far the best, all the time, bar none.  I think LRA is usually better.  I don’t think 2-hit heavies are grossly overpowered.  I think +2 to the range of all aircraft is overpowered.

Also are you saying that LRA is bad because it is too good for its price or just too good.

Well, actually, I don’t think any of the techs are bad, because everyone can get them.  If your opponent gets LRA or HB or mech infantry, or paratroopers, or any other tech that suddenly gives them a huge advantage - well - you won’t always win an A&A game just from being a superior strategist and tactician.  Sometimes you just tip your cap and say “good game”.  That said, I’ve only lost due to my opponent getting just the right tech at just the right time a couple of times, and I’ve won at least as many the same way.  It’s just the nature of the game - it’s the surprises that add to the fun, and the #1 reason I play A&A is for fun.  If I get tired of all the dice rolling (which happens in tech or no tech) I go play chess or something.

Because if it is too good for its price, in this version (at least for now) LRA is an ultimate tech meaning that it costs a minimum of 30 IPCs to research. (If you only buy 2 (30 IPCs) dice, it may take 2-3 rounds to get) What is your take on CJs tech system?

Cousin Joe is to be commended for trying to make a great game better, or more realistic.  I have several house rules myself that I like to play with. 
    LRA would be an “ultimate tech”, yes, and making it impossible to get it for 5 (or 10, or 25, for that matter) is not a bad idea.  I try not to get too used to too many house rules, or variations that are dramatically different (like this one) because it would reduce my edge in competitive play - the rules that are generally accepted - which are still OOB + official errata.
    Maybe I didn’t read the original post closely enough, but I think it’s a problem if you research some expensive tech and don’t get the one you want.  What if I research an ultimate tech with the USA because I want LRA or HB, but get mech infantry?

Also, I see from re-reading the post that a player could get more than 1 new tech into play at one time.  I think this is just as problematic as the OOB rules, where any donkey of a player can nail an “ultimate tech” for 5 IPC’s in the first round.  How would you like to be tooling along, and suddenly your opponent’s major power hits Heavy bombers and paratroopers at the same time??  Or LRA and Paras at the same time?  Not good!!  Cousin Joe, I think you need to reconsider on that one.  At least don’t allow 2 techs to come into play at the same time that work together (LRA, HB, Paras, etc.).

• I think you are still reading it wrong. According to the proposed system you get to pick the exact tech you want to roll for. Once you buy the researchers, it is only a matter of time before you get the tech (and only that tech). Due to the escalating nature of it, it should only take roughly 2-3 turns to get it. (1-2 for 3 or 4 dice) I honestly don’t mind playing with house rules. I am an avid fan of AARe and am not interested in competitive play using OOB rules or LHTR. I still like to play good people (I’d love to play AARe with axis roll or replay pagan sometime) I hope we can develop this rule set to get enough recognition to be generally accepted as more than one players house rule.

BTW anyone know what happened to pagan haven’t seen him since the WOTC board died?

Suggested Topics

I Will Never Grow Up Games
Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures
Dean's Army Guys

Users

Topics

1.6m