• if on j1 i attack phillipines with 3 transports and battleship and some other small ships, can i chose to ignore the US destroyer and give fire with landing and let smaller ships do the killing, or does battleship have to fight against destroyer?

• I’m pretty sure that the battle ship has to fight the destroyer. Like 99.625%  :wink:

• The only time you can chose to ignore naval units to bombard land for an invasion is either transports or submarines.  If any surface ships are there that aren’t transports, then all naval attack vessels are involved in killing them before you can invade the island in that sea zone.  You can’t divide your fleet to hit multiple targets, like some killing the DD and others for bombarding.

• as written above, u cant ignore naval vessel. its clearly written in the rulebook.

• Page 15

All attacking sea units must participate in the sea battle.

You may only bombard if there was NOT a combat in the sea zone.

• You can also ignore naval ships of a power that you are not yet at war with. Say as Japan you are at war with the UK and not the US. If there are UK subs/transports with US surface war ships in the same sz, you could choose to ignore all the ships and bombard for an amphib assault.

I know that if Japan was previously attacked by the UK/Anzac (is at war) that it could ignore the US ships (not at war).

I do have one question concerning US not yet at war. Say Japan is still only at war w/China in the 2nd round. The UK/US have moved ships to say sz 43 (Borneo). Japan attacks the UK (unprovoked) in sz 43 immediately bringing the UK/Anzac into the war. This act is also considered a Dec of War w/US as well. Can Japan still ignore the US ships there, or does this attack also mean you must attack the US ships because your intent will bring the US into the war (like now having to declare a convoy attack on your turn). It will also make a difference if you can bombard Borneo as well if there are no UK surface war ships, only US surface war ships in the sz.

I’m sorry in advance, as I think this may have already been answered, but I missed it.

Edit:
    I would think that an unprovoked Jap attack on the UK ships or amphib on Borneo would immediately make the US ships in that sz (and any other) hostile to Japan, and would defend.

• Official Q&A

@WILD:

I do have one question concerning US not yet at war. Say Japan is still only at war w/China in the 2nd round. The UK/US have moved ships to say sz 43 (Borneo). Japan attacks the UK (unprovoked) in sz 43 immediately bringing the UK/Anzac into the war. This act is also considered a Dec of War w/US as well.

No, it isn’t.

@WILD:

Can Japan still ignore the US ships there, or does this attack also mean you must attack the US ships because your intent will bring the US into the war (like now having to declare a convoy attack on your turn). It will also make a difference if you can bombard Borneo as well if there are no UK surface war ships, only US surface war ships in the sz.

Japan may declare war on UK/ANZAC only and ignore any US ships in the sea zone.  Of course, this means that Japan will be unable to atack any US forces or territories that turn.  The US will then be eligible to declare war on Japan on its next turn.

• I reread the Feb 1st Errata:
    Ok so a Jap attack on the UK doesn’t automatically bring the US into the war as it did in the original rules. It is now the choice of the US on its turn if it wants to get dirty and be able to attack Japan or not. So its safe to say the US could not declare war on Japan, when its turn comes around still remaining neutral. I can’t see why they would choose that however, as all their restrictions would be lifted, not to mention the $40 bonus at the end of their turn, but so be it. Maybe this has some effect how AA40E, or the global game will play out.
    I guess it makes sense though, because as I (and others) have said in other posts, in WWII, if Japan & UK were to go to war would the US would have jumped in with both feet. We stood on the sidelines in Europe, why not Asia. For game play though it would be silly to not take advantage, and come full force, unless there is something I’m missing here.
    This rule seems to make it easier for Japan to take out the UK or Anz, by being able to ignore US units that might be able to help def. Of course the US units would then be able to attack the Japs in retaliation on their turn, if they’re able, or run like hell.

Edit: This could come to bare on the global game. If each power has the right to declare war or not if its potential allies are attacked. Say Japan attacks UK. On the US turn it now declares war on Japan (but is restricted and can’t also declare war on Germany. On Germany’s turn it decides not to declare war on the US, and US can’t fully go to war with Germany til the end of its 3rd turn.

• @Krieghund:

@WILD:

I do have one question concerning US not yet at war. Say Japan is still only at war w/China in the 2nd round. The UK/US have moved ships to say sz 43 (Borneo). Japan attacks the UK (unprovoked) in sz 43 immediately bringing the UK/Anzac into the war. This act is also considered a Dec of War w/US as well.

No, it isn’t.

@WILD:

Can Japan still ignore the US ships there, or does this attack also mean you must attack the US ships because your intent will bring the US into the war (like now having to declare a convoy attack on your turn). It will also make a difference if you can bombard Borneo as well if there are no UK surface war ships, only US surface war ships in the sz.

Japan may declare war on UK/ANZAC only and ignore any US ships in the sea zone.  Of course, this means that Japan will be unable to atack any US forces or territories that turn.  The US will then be eligible to declare war on Japan on its next turn.

what? neeh
    fool me another one

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m