Limits on Western Allies cooperation w/ Russians?

• Has anyone tweaked the rules by limiting the amount of cooperation b/w the Western Allies and Russia, e.g. no UK or US troops in territories controlled by Russia at the beginning of the game?  I know that the goal of this game is not historical accuracy, but it seems to add a dose of reality along with shifting the balance toward the Axis, at least a little bit.

What about letting the Russians collect IPCs from “liberated” allied territories, e.g. Sinkiang or Persia?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

• Seems like a very good rule to me - the game would be more accurate that way, but (more important) it would also give the axis just a little bit of help. The way the game is now, it’s just to easy for the allies to support Russia - after round 2 or 3, they can offload a great amount of ground forces in Karelia, and that have been a decisive factor in almost all our games.

• I’m not so sure this would make the game more historically accurate, as the Allies supplised the Soviets with heaps of equipment and supplies during the war.

Anyhow, it doesn’t make much sense to me to restrict the Allies in this way.  In this proposed scenario, the Axis could employ an aggressive KRF strategy, and by the time the UK and US could intercede it would likely be too late.

• But how would you define “the start of the game”? The first round? The first three rounds? Or longer? The rule is okay if it’s for the first three rounds or less, especially since Japan can’t build up heavy stacks in Novo/Kaz until about rd8 or 9, by which time the Eastern Front is a lost cause for Germany since it has to fall back and hold/trade its three high-value territories. I really like the other suggestion you made though, of Russia being able to collect IPCs for liberating territories origninally controlled by the other Allies, because as it stands now, there is no motivation for Russia to walk/blitz into an empty Sinkiang, Persia, India, China if the opportunity is there.

• @habs4life9:

But how would you define “the start of the game”?

I would limit it to those territories that are under Russian control at the time of set-up.  It would not apply to territories that Russia conquers and then loses (recognizing that the rationale of the rule should apply to territories like the Ukraine–but when was the last time the British or Americans captured the Ukraine anyway?).  As a practical matter, the rule tweaking I suggest is intended from preventing the British (primarily) from bailing the Russians out in Karelia.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m