Accurate Miniature Equivalents for Custom Painting your 1940 E&P

• Customizer

Thanks man!  I prefer 1941 - with a few house rules (probably because it’s so different from past set-ups).

Huh.  I didn’t realize the cruisers were different.

Yeah… I imagine your roundels take a lot of time and care!

Posted some more…

• '12

@allworkandnoclay:

@Viracocha:

Moralecheck - didn’t realize that, huh.  Well, that’s okay I suppose… plan on using FMG minis eventually.

Allwork - started posting some pics of my AA50th if you’re interested, as a fellow painter thought you might be interested…

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=20025.msg675203#msg675203

1. I just compared the 1940 series of minis with the A&A50 miniatures. The Italian tanks, strat bombers, and cruisers are different models. Really all of the navy for both Italy and Germany are slightly more refined in the newer minis (the cruisers for both are different). Also: Japanese artillery, US fighters, and SU tanks (maybe some SU navy as well - I didn’t check).

2. Viracocha: Awesome stuff! I especially like the unit badges on their sleeves. I thought about doing something similar, but was already going crazy enough filling up 40 infantry roundels. Just out of curiosity, which setup for A&A50 do you prefer? 1941 or 1942?

3. Just as an update: I have been going on a grinding and cleaning frenzy since I got E1940 (as well as playing the game). The rest of the SU is fully ready to prime, however I’ll be going out of town for the weekend so won’t get started on it until then. Excited about the T-34s! Here’s the total forces I’m painting for the SU:

40 Infantry
    16 Mechanized Infantry
    16 Artillery
    24 Tanks

16 Fighters
    12 Tactical Bombers
    8  Strategic Bombers

8 Subs
    8 Transports
    8 Destroyers
    4 Cruisers
    4 Carriers
    4 Battleships

Heavy on ground, medium on air, and light on navy… Excited about the T-34s!

I was happy to see the new Japanese artillery piece in AA42/G40.  It’s the same gun, but in firing position.  In the previous games the trailing arms were closed, in tow mode.

• Customizer

UPDATE

Soviet Union Ground Support

Soviet Union Mechanized Infantry

Soviet Union Artillery

Soviet Union Tanks

Soviet Union Ground Support - Flat Green Camo

Soviet Union Ground Support - Temperate Regional Camo

Soviet Union Ground Support - Short Supply Whitewash Camo

Soviet Union Ground Support - Winter Camo

Soviet Union Ground Support - Complete

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

Amazing….you are the man.

• So very cool. I can’t wait to see them in play.

• '12

Every time I read through and look at these pics (done it now about 50 times) I am utterly amazed at your talent and patience.  I cannot WAIT to try myself.  You are an inspiration!  I don’t think I’ll try the roundels becuase I’m afraid they won’t be nearly as good as yours, but I may give it a shot in the end.  Either way, I’m waiting until the FMG pieces come to start as I get them.

Can’t wait to see your Gerries and Italians!  Keep up the incredible work man!  :-o

• you have the mech inf pic again on the tank group

• Customizer

@cminke:

you have the mech inf pic again on the tank group

Fixed.

Working on the SU air force, then navy. Then Italy next…

• Once again, very awesome!

Personally can’t wait to see the French pieces though.

• Customizer

UPDATE

Soviet Union Air Force

Soviet Union Fighters

Soviet Union Tactical Bombers

Soviet Union Strategic Bombers

Soviet Union Air Force - Early War Flat Green Camo

Soviet Union Air Force - Green/Black Camo

Soviet Union Air Force - Temperate 4 Tone Camo

Soviet Union Air Force - Winter Camo

Soviet Union Air Force - Complete

• Customizer

Also - a pic showing the effectiveness of camouflage:

• @allworkandnoclay:

Also - a pic showing the effectiveness of camouflage:

OMG, all but one disappeared…! Haha, kidding… Those are awesome man. Keep it goin!

• I am in love with these minis. I’m sooo jealous! I really want to paint mine, but I don’t have a dedicated enough group to appreciate the effort that it would take. If we would play even once every two months I’d go for it, but I’m lucky for more than one game a year… :(

• @ZehKaiser:

I am in love with these minis. I’m sooo jealous! I really want to paint mine, but I don’t have a dedicated enough group to appreciate the effort that it would take. If we would play even once every two months I’d go for it, but I’m lucky for more than one game a year… :(

You need to up your industrial production then…. I have been productive with 5 sons - lol. 4 are now playing with me.  :-D I am also dedicated to saving social security by creating a workforce.  :wink:

• :-o Amazing

I have just one complaint though, There is no UKP (Union Jack) roundels on UK units

• allworkandnoclay,

I have roughly read all posts, and of course seen all pictures you have posted, very well done, if you’re the only man in the world who does this and has the time for AA piece’s…maybe you can do the NEXT deluxe edition LH does in AA…or leave it upto the others who have also done the same hard work…!

However, not to knock the wind out of your sails, when playing the game, a task I have found annoying is placing the fighters on the aircraft carriers, maybe clumsy hands!

When I had done using the strip wheel magnet form from Canadian Tire, or a Staples store, when AA50 came out ( thinking this was the last ever board!! How wrong was I! ), I fixed used the magnets to sticky side to the bottom of the planes and on the AC strip on runway, so they would connect and not fall off.

I also for the transporters, fixed a magnet strip under the transporter long enough outwards to hold upto two units, so the tanks, infantry, aa gun ( days when it wasn’t a cardboard cut out piece! ), artillery could be on the transporter when transporting units.
    Have you thought about adding this aspect when you were painting, a device that would work similar to what I did?

Sala…waiting for the final Italians! ( hope Peru was fun and amazing )

• @The:

:-o Amazing

I have just one complaint though, There is no UKP (Union Jack) roundels on UK units

Yes…was thinking the same, thought the European Brits would have Union Jack, and rest of Commonwealth have the UK roundel simbol…maybe it was just pushing too far of a task…?

• Customizer

@sala33:

allworkandnoclay,

I have roughly read all posts, and of course seen all pictures you have posted, very well done, if you’re the only man in the world who does this and has the time for AA piece’s…maybe you can do the NEXT deluxe edition LH does in AA…or leave it upto the others who have also done the same hard work…!

However, not to knock the wind out of your sails, when playing the game, a task I have found annoying is placing the fighters on the aircraft carriers, maybe clumsy hands!

When I had done using the strip wheel magnet form from Canadian Tire, or a Staples store, when AA50 came out ( thinking this was the last ever board!! How wrong was I! ), I fixed used the magnets to sticky side to the bottom of the planes and on the AC strip on runway, so they would connect and not fall off.

I also for the transporters, fixed a magnet strip under the transporter long enough outwards to hold upto two units, so the tanks, infantry, aa gun ( days when it wasn’t a cardboard cut out piece! ), artillery could be on the transporter when transporting units.
    Have you thought about adding this aspect when you were painting, a device that would work similar to what I did?

Sala…waiting for the final Italians! ( hope Peru was fun and amazing )

I’ve considered some of the magnet options, but actually one of the benefits of painting your minis is that the coat of paint/varnish has more grip than plastic. Although, yes some minis are still a hassle to balance, it’s not nearly as bad as before.

Also: my Peru trip has been postponed until from Jan - Apr. I just bought the tickets yesterday -$450 round trip! It’s the rain season, but hey - I lived in Seattle 3 years so pssh.

• Customizer

@sala33:

@The:

:-o Amazing

Yes…was thinking the same, thought the European Brits would have Union Jack, and rest of Commonwealth have the UK roundel simbol…maybe it was just pushing too far of a task…?

Man you guys are really trying to make this task even more maddening heh.

A la Aug 24th:

@allworkandnoclay:

…Also thinking about painting 10 Brit infantry with the different Pacific roundel.

I guess then I considered using the Union Jack for Pacific, but either way… I think I’m going to make a separate 10 UK infantry for the global game with that roundel. When I originally did the UK, E1940 wasn’t out yet and the separate income wasn’t confirmed so it didn’t even occur to me to do different roundels. Back then, I was thinking more of doing some Canadians… But I didn’t. Going crazy as it is…

• Customizer

Also: Just got started on the SU Navy so it’ll be a short bit.

As for the Italians… For my set, I think I’m going to do double the normal full set because a) there are only three Axis powers and I feel that they should all have a large assortment of units; b) infantry starts running short if you don’t use chips on the standard Italian setup (I like having lots of everything); and c) Italian camouflage is some of the coolest out there. :wink:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m