Accurate Miniature Equivalents for Custom Painting your 1940 E&P

• Customizer

@Lozmoid:

do you use any kind of eyeglass or some such equipment?

No, just good lighting, my eyes, and a few very fine brushes.

More progress… I had to do some patching with epoxy in the helmets of some of the ANZAC units. Apparently that’s where the punch occurs with the British infantry mold and a lot of them punch off too low.

By the way, for 4 hours, that ANZAC crown was the bane of my existence.

• TripleA '12

Tell me, do you apply any kind of matt finish varnish to the minis? If not, do they chip easily when stored together in a box or bag? I’m loving those Anzacs…

• Customizer

@Lozmoid:

Tell me, do you apply any kind of matt finish varnish to the minis? If not, do they chip easily when stored together in a box or bag? I’m loving those Anzacs…

I am going to use a varnish when finished, I just haven’t decided on matte or stain yet. And yes, they do chip when stored if not sealed.

Here’s more progress… ANZAC ground forces are finished! Two separate camouflages too (I plan on doing two or three finishes for each of the other nations as well). You can see the ANZAC symbol and base color (gray) on each of the units.

• is there away to make them not chip??

• Customizer

@i:

is there away to make them not chip??

Even perfectly painted miniatures can chip or flake from very minimal use (finger sweat can be enough to make the paint itself start to “sweat off”).

Sealing them with a spray varnish is the best approach. They come in the several finishes similar to paint - matte, satin, and gloss. I recommend using a matte or satin as gloss is a bit much. Also remember that most varnishes make the color of your paint a bit darker, so it’s best to paint them a shade or two lighter.

I’ll post a comparison between varnished and unsealed paint jobs after I finish the full ANZAC series.

• Customizer

@i:

there cool though.

Once they’re sealed they shouldn’t chip at all, much like furniture.

• Beautiful work. Have you come up with a price yet. I want somebody to paint my future FMG pieces.

• Customizer

@i:

so will the paint still "sweat off’’

No, once the miniature is sealed the paint will hold off pretty major wear and tear. You’ll have to really either want to get the paint off or be completely neglectful.

@Brain:

Beautiful work. Have you come up with a price yet. I want somebody to paint my future FMG pieces.

I’m still working out exactly what kind of price range and how long it would take to do sets.
    It seems like they’re becoming a bit more streamlined now and painting is going much quicker. I’ll let you know within the week.

More updates: ANZAC Air Fleet

• TripleA '12

Oh my God. They’re beautiful. I’d be interested to know how much you’d charge for a painted set. I have paints and would be happy to do it myself but it just takes so long! After the fourth infantry piece, I’d be derranged with the tedium…

• I’d be deranged before I even started. But I love the finished product.

• Customizer

@Brain:

I’d be deranged before I even started. But I love the finished product.

Well I already am deranged so it’s no big deal for me heh.

Update: ANZAC Navy/Full ANZAC

Which nation would you guys like to see next?

• Great work!

• Germany!

• Japan! The zero will look awesome!

• Great work. I would love to see Japan next.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

Yep, I will vote for Japan next too.

• That’s three for Japan and only one for a country that does not exist in this game.

• Customizer

Hah - I started on Japan before I even looked at the replies. About halfway through the 40 infantry.

And just so everyone knows - I’m going to get a head start on the other nations too - I have two sets of 1942 I’m going to paint (which I predict will end up being the basic setup of the combined units for nations in E&P - this holds true for Japan). The only difference is that I won’t be able to do the tactical or mech units. So voting for Europe nations next is cool. ;)

There is one thing I’d like to ask here - I’d like some more mech infantry… My new tactical bombers should arrive soon, but I’d like to have some more mechs for the set (does anyone else agree that Japan should have gotten more mechs as well with the tact bombers?).

Does anyone know where to find more mech units or does anyone want to trade theirs? I could do one of each of the five base set nation painted infantry for a set of 6 mechs. Any nation.

• Customizer

@allworkandnoclay:

Hah - I started on Japan before I even looked at the replies. About halfway through the 40 infantry.

And just so everyone knows - I’m going to get a head start on the other nations too - I have two sets of 1942 I’m going to paint (which I predict will end up being the basic setup of the combined units for nations in E&P - this holds true for Japan). The only difference is that I won’t be able to do the tactical or mech units. So voting for Europe nations next is cool. ;)

There is one thing I’d like to ask here - I’d like some more mech infantry… My new tactical bombers should arrive soon, but I’d like to have some more mechs for the set (does anyone else agree that Japan should have gotten more mechs as well with the tact bombers?).

Does anyone know where to find more mech units or does anyone want to trade theirs? I could do one of each of the five base set nation painted infantry for a set of 6 mechs. Any nation.

Table Tactics sells Half Tracks: http://www.tabletactics.com/  Not the same as A&A though.  (personally I like them a little more because they don’t appear “squished” - and they provide more mini for detailing).  And BGG has a trading area for parts on each game’s page, so you could check there…

Now answer me a question if you could - I can’t seem to upload my minis pics - keeps telling me they’re too big (even after condensing/compressing them), the limit listed is 2##(?) - a lot smaller than other sites I’ve posted on…  Do you tone yours down or what?  Looked up a thread I found here on posting pics but it was useless…

• Customizer

I want to keep all the nation units true to the A&A set even though I’ve thought about outside units.

I just host my pics on my website. If you want to email me yours I could put them up there and give you the link.

chad@allworkandnoclay.com

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m