• Official Q&A

@cond1024:

I have another rules question that I am just not clear on.  Lets say Japan attacks
    pearl with 1 sub, 1 crusier, 3 ftr and usa has 1 sub, 1 AC, 1 ftr.  If neither sub submerges then they both get a surprise strike.  How does it work if they both hit?  Do they fire simultaneously or does the attacker sub fire first?  If the attacker sub fires first and hits and US chooses to lose AC, then defender sub fires and hits can the Japs take the sub even though it has already fired (thereby defeating the advantage of the sneak attack) or do they have to lose the cruiser?  If the US chooses to lose the sub, does the US sub not get to use its surprise attack?

Please clarify.

Thanks Krieg

Since both subs get Surprise Strikes, their fire is simultaneous, and the defending sub will fire even if it is hit.  Subs that make Surprise Strikes are valid casualty choices for any hit that could normally be taken on a sub.

• '22 '19 '18

Can I non-com move an AA in the same round I capture it?

• Official Q&A

No.

• '22 '19 '18

Can I move them into newly captured territories during my non-com phase?

• Official Q&A

Yes.

• on G1, does placing any German (non-submerged) subs in SZ3 (Norway) block the lone UK transport in SZ1 (Hudson’s Bay) from performing an amphibious landing on UK1 into Norway?  in other words, can a sub that is not submerged ever block a lone transport from passing through its sea zone?  i’m guessing you can’t, but it is a strange rule because an unescourted transport during WWII would be defenseless and was the whole point of having conveys with destroyers.

i know the German destroyer would stop the lone transport from landing in Norway with or without subs.

also, a lone sub can attack another sub, if both subs don’t submerge, but i don’t recall two submarines ever attacking each during the course of the war.  another strange rule.

thanks for your insight.

• Official Q&A

Welcome, panzer clutch!

Subs never block ships’ movement.  However, a lone transport moving into a sea zone with a sub will be an easy kill on the sub’s next turn.

Sub on sub combat did occur during the war, but it was very rare.  This is reflected in the rules by the fact that they can only fight if neither party chooses to submerge.

• Ok I decided to buy this version after playing online many times. After the huge laugh about the board size (expected) and after a couple of games I checked the rulebook.

It says that subs CAN move into enemy zones in non combat. And stop if there is a destroyer.

Since the rule of not loading units on sz containing enemy units is still unchanged…

===== This means that subs CAN STALL ?? ====

I don’t know if this is also in AA40 and AAA50 rulebooks, but if so… I think it is huge. Stalling japan does very serious damage.

Anybody?

• Official Q&A

The rules on that subject have changed a bit.  Transports may not be loaded in hostile sea zones.  The presence of enemy subs and/or transports does not make a sea zone hostile, so transports may be loaded in a sea zone with enemy subs.

• @panzer:

also, a lone sub can attack another sub, if both subs don’t submerge, but i don’t recall two submarines ever attacking each during the course of the war.  another strange rule.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_submarine_I-29
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Corvina_(SS-226)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_submarine_Doris
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Spearfish_(69S)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_U-36_(1936)

• Do aa-guns fire when enemy planes pass over them? Or only when they attack that territory?

• @Sgt.:

Do aa-guns fire when enemy planes pass over them? Or only when they attack that territory?

Only when the territory is attacked.

• Hmm weird.  Thanks for your help :)

• @Sgt.:

Hmm weird.  Thanks for your help :)

Rule change from Revised. :)

• Is that realistic? If you were flying over a country with anti aircraft guns in real life, wouldn’t they fire at you?

• Official Q&A

@Sgt.:

Is that realistic? If you were flying over a country with anti aircraft guns in real life, wouldn’t they fire at you?

They would if you were flying low enough for them to hit you.  Typically, planes would fly at a higher altitude on the way to a target than they would over the target itself.

• Will an AA gun fire on a plane that flies over it during combat phase, if its not attacking the territory that the AA gun is in?

• Official Q&A

No.

• Question 1. Can a tank blitz through an enemy territory, load on a transport, then be part of an amphibious assault?

Question 2. Is using the ability of a destroyer to enable planes to attack subs required? For context, I found myself in a position as Germany to destroy the allied fleet in the Atlantic, mostly by using planes. UK had several subs and I didn’t really want to attack them as they would be fodder for an aircraft carrier and a battleship. At the same time I wanted to bring in my ships as fodder. If I bring in a destroyer can I somehow opt out of his ability to reveal subs to my air?

• Official Q&A

1.  No.  Units may not move before loading onto a transport or after unloading from one.

2.  It is not optional.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m