• Since I realize the question would be off topic from what made me think about it, here’s a new thread:

I wonder if there’s a board out there that lays out the key, strategic island chains of the Central Pacific fairly accurately and why not if not?  I’ve been studying the Pacific War more closely than I ever have before lately and so have begun to realize how radically different the different board options I’ve seen do it and I wonder what game/ strategic reasons there may be for it.

Now, note, I realize that the Pacific will need to be compressed somewhat, but it seems like there’s more than just compression behind some of the options I’ve seen, and I wonder why?

For example, according to the best actual maps I can find, if you put Marcus Island at the 12 O’clock position, Wake Island should be at about, oh, 1:30 or 2 O’clock, the Marshalls start at about 3, the Carolines start at about 4:30, are centered close to 6 O’clock and stretch to about 6:30 or 7 and the Marianas are at about 9 O’clock.  The Palaus would be off of our imaginary clock face (to the west), but on a heading of about 4:30 or 5.  The Bonins (including Iwo Jima) would likewise be further west, but would be at about 10 or 11 O’clock. Right smack in the middle of our imaginary clock would be a sizable empty sea space.

• I have been considering this question privately for some time too.  My own particular anoyance is that islands are completely surrounded by a single sea zone.  I think many islands should have more than one sea zone touching them.  For examnple, I think the Phillipine Islands should at least have an Asian side and a Pacific Ocean side.  I think Japan should have one sea zone with Korea, one to the south and another to the north and east.  While we are on the subject, I also do not understand why the sea zones have to end coincident with several (most) adjacent land borders.  This forces many strategic manuvers and I would appreciate some more tactical flexibility.  However, I see that the game is very delicately balanced (at least until someone finds a real deal breaker) so such tactical choices may make the game difficult to balance.

I would be interested in a more accurate Pacific map, including the expansion of the Pacific Ocean to its true size.  The biggest problem I see is that it may become unplayable for the Japanese.  Two factors that made it tenable for them was the hidden movement (for of war) of sea forces in general, and the benefit they received from their attack on Pearl Harbour.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m