Re: Field Marshal Games Pieces Project Discussion thread

• @knp7765:

Well, you are right.  That 47/32 artillery piece sure does look an awful lot like the FMG Italian Artillery.  By the way, I don’t mind being corrected.  I would much rather someone come in and let me know the correct model.

I thought the Bohler 47mm AT gun was Romanian.  I got that from the A&A Minis collection “Contested Skies”.  Now that I think about it, that piece looks a lot like FMG’s piece too.

Here is what I was going by when I made my list.  Is it possible that all Italian artillery pieces kind of looked alike even if the caliber was different?

Bohler sold the 47mm gun to several European countries.  The Italians had a wide range of artillery pieces which they used, and they did not look all alike.  I am surprised that they used the Bohler gun for the artillery, but that is their decision.

• Customizer

I just remembered that in the A&A Mini set for North Africa 1940-1943, the Italians also have the 47/32 anti-tank gun.  So while it may have been made by Austria, perhaps the Italians used a lot of them during the war so that is why it comes up so much under “Italian artillery”.

Whatever the case, I think the piece looks really cool and is good enough for me to represent Italian artillery.  Better than having them use brown German 88s.

The pieces I am most looking forward to in the Italian set are the artillery, Semovente 75/18, Sparviero SM-79 bomber, BR-20 Transport plane and Littorio class battleship.

• chirp….chirp…chirp…chirp…lol…take you time…wee will wait

• '12

AA guns can no longer be captured in AAG. This means nation specific AA guns are appropriate as pieces.  Well, the germans have one with the 88, but they need an artillery unit now.  :roll: :wink:

• Customizer

The German 88 IS the artillery piece for the German set.  The 88 was a very versatile gun.  It could be used as anti-aircraft, anti-tank and regular field artillery.  Although, I know that a lot of people tend to think of field artillery as being larger caliber, like 105mm and up.  The only other option would be to order some of HBG’s Axis Minors sets when they eventually get here.  He’s got a 105mm artillery piece in that set and he will be offering them in the same shade of grey as FMG’s Germans and also in black like OOB.  Actually, I think FMG is offering their Germans in black as well.

Hey Jeremy, here’s an idea for the USA artillery piece:  the 155 mm Long Tom.

• '12

The 88 was indeed versatile and was purpose built in both the AA and AT roles.  It was usable as artillery, and shells were made specifically for that use.  Nonetheless, it was primarily assigned to AA/AT units and the Germans did not classify any model as artillery.  My objection was not based on shell size.  In fact, I think for the british that the 25 pounder (88mm) would be their ideal artillery piece.  There are lots of pics of Russian infantry riding on T-34’s, that doesn’t mean it should be the mech inf piece.  :-D

• thatd be a beast mech inf, well that solves it after i buy all of FMGs peices ill have to play russian because mt T-34 with infantry on the back would look ****ing awesome!

• '12

:-D :-D

• Finally was able to afford to pre-order my Italians… now I can breathe again!

• '10

@moralecheck:

The 88 was indeed versatile and was purpose built in both the AA and AT roles.  It was usable as artillery, and shells were made specifically for that use.  Nonetheless, it was primarily assigned to AA/AT units and the Germans did not classify any model as artillery.  My objection was not based on shell size.  In fact, I think for the british that the 25 pounder (88mm) would be their ideal artillery piece.  There are lots of pics of Russian infantry riding on T-34’s, that doesn’t mean it should be the mech inf piece.  :-D

Ja, the Germans loved the 88mm so much that they stuck it in their tiger tanks!

• @moralecheck:

There are lots of pics of Russian infantry riding on T-34’s

The Russians even had a specific term for troops who rode into battle on tanks, then dismounted to go into action: “tank descent infantry”.  Some Russian tanks had handrails welded to their hulls to help soldiers use this tactic.

[Edit: I’ve just had a mental picture of A&A players using the “magnetic aircraft carrier” technique to modify T-34 sculpts to carry a Russian troop piece.  I bet there could even be a house rule developed for this type of unit.]

• Customizer

@moralecheck:

There are lots of pics of Russian infantry riding on T-34’s, that doesn’t mean it should be the mech inf piece.  :-D

“Ha, ha” very funny.  “Ho, ho” it is to laugh.  Actually, I was thinking the KV-1 could be used as the Russian mech infantry piece.
    Okay, that’s just silly.

I just noticed something.  The FMG 88mm is aiming more horizontally, like it was shooting at a tank.  The OOB 88mm’s barrel is aimed toward the sky.  So, FMG’s artillery could be anti-tank and OOB’s artillery could be anti-aircraft.
    Of course, that still leaves the gap of a German field artillery piece, and none of the other countries yet have dedicated AA or AT guns (although I think Italy’s is more of an AT gun) but I can’t solve everything.

Still think the “Long Tom” would be a good choice for USA artillery.  Anybody with me on this?

• '12

Yes, I’m with you on the Long Tom!  The bottom line is they can’t please us all, I suppose.  I really don’t like the Italians having a turreted armored car for their mech inf, when there was a perfectly decent armored personnel carrier to use.  Plus, the armored car piece is similar in size and shape to the Italian tank which will likely cause some confusion in a few games.  But hey, it’s done (well, done in theory….still waiting).

• @CWO:

@moralecheck:

There are lots of pics of Russian infantry riding on T-34’s

The Russians even had a specific term for troops who rode into battle on tanks, then dismounted to go into action: “tank descent infantry”.  Some Russian tanks had handrails welded to their hulls to help soldiers use this tactic.

[Edit: I’ve just had a mental picture of A&A players using the “magnetic aircraft carrier” technique to modify T-34 sculpts to carry a Russian troop piece.  I bet there could even be a house rule developed for this type of unit.]

i belive what you refering to were the “tank raider battilions”, 500 strong units armed solely with PPSh sub-machine guns and carriny as many spare magazines as they could. went into battle on a tank and jumped of when the hit enamey. they would jump on the nxt tank avail. after.

• @FieldMarshalGames:

@knp7765:

I’m with you boboshonda.  As much as I want my new Italian combat units, I am also very anxious to get my France and ANZAC combat dice.  Right now I use black dice with white pips for France and black dice with red pips for ANZAC.  I am SO looking forward to them having their own dice.

The dice will arrive and ship with the ITALIANS.  There will also be a few other surprise releases during the launch.

I see a Shogun game… is it true? When it will be released?

• Customizer

A new Shogun game?  Hmmm, interesting.  I wonder how much it will differ from Milton Bradley’s Shogun.

• @knp7765:

A new Shogun game?  Hmmm, interesting.  I wonder how much it will differ from Milton Bradley’s Shogun.

Except for the name it looks identical.  I wouldn’t be surprised as I think this is the 3rd or 4th itteration of that game now (Shogun, Samurai Swords, ???, Ikusa <- newest version).

From the games website …

Ikusa

It is the sixteenth century in feudal Japan, where war rages across the land. Amid the chaos and conflict, you have risen to power as one of five warlords mighty enough to conquer and control the whole empire. Your victory depends on how expertly you extend your domain while defending it from your enemies.

Send your daimyo leaders, samurai, and ashigaru warriors into battle to seize new provinces and lay siege to castles. Spend your hard-won treasury on building fortifications and bolstering your forces with ronin and ninja.

Prove the strength of your strategy, defeat your rivals, and earn the exalted title of Shogun.

Set details:

The classic rules of this game have not been changed – still a challenge for any strategy board gamer.
    The box and game board design have been radically improved. The game board has a new “period feel.”
    All of the classic sculptures used for the figures are back with new colors.

Release Date: July 26th, 2011

• I know this is off topic but the original Shogun is a great game. If you are on the fence for Ikusa it has my vote. It looks identical to the original.

• Anyone has received the italian units?

• TripleA '12

Nope. Were they supposed to have been shipped to customers recently? If so, I must have missed that news.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m