Re: Field Marshal Games Pieces Project Discussion thread

• @moralecheck:

Ok, they look great…but I’m still a touch disappointed with a couple of choices.

I thought FMG said from the start that the PZ III was already set to be in this?  Instead we get two heavy tanks?  The WW2 game did this with the Tiger and Maus already and IIRC it was not an overly popular move.  I had thought (but I certainly may have been wrong) that part of the point behind 2 tanks was to allow some house rule variety.  But it seems the Germans are stuck with “heavy” and “even heavier and slower” as choices.   :-(

I’d have to agree - two heavy tanks is really boring.  Considering the Germans manufactured only 569 King Tigers to 13,500 PZIVs and 16,500 PZIIIs I would have though that the PzIV or PzIII would have been a better option for the “common” german tank and the Tiger1 would have been the alternate or upgrade version.

Considering the low production number of King Tigers I would speculate that Field Marshall Games is going to make more King Tigers than the German did!

This won’t stop me from buying the pieces as the quality of the entire scult set looks good - I’m just dismayed that after two years of comment these are the two German tank options.

• TripleA '12

I think a Panzer IV and the Tiger I would have been the way to go, but never mind.

• What! You got rid of the pzkfwIII!!! I was looking forward to own that 1 piece :cry:

• you want ti you pay for the 2000+ buck it costs. i personaly would have liked to see the pz.4 austf.F but i am verry pleased w/ the 2 heavy tanks.

• Customizer

@cminke:

you want ti you pay for the 2000+ buck it costs. i personaly would have liked to see the pz.4 austf.F but i am verry pleased w/ the 2 heavy tanks.

No one is suggesting that we go back and re-make the moulds, certainly not just for 1 piece.  It is just that we were TOLD that we were getting the Panzer III before the Germans were started.  Then the production pieces come out and it’s Tiger I and Tiger II with NO Panzer III.  We’re just venting our disappointment is all.  I’m sure we are all still going to buy the sets.  I know I am.  Personally, I am very impressed with the new Naval sculpts and the infantry and commander.

• Customizer

All the pieces are so awesome… I am simply giddy with anticipation.  :mrgreen:

• '14

FMG,
        No matter if people were told there was going to be a PzIII or not, the point is the 2 tigers being made don’t allow for different variant rules and can’t be used to properly represent different size tanks. Doesn’t seem alot of thought was put into the german armor. On the flip side all the pieces look great and the different units are a breath of fresh air compared to the OOB pieces. IMHO, probably should have done a light-medium tank.

• @knp7765:

@cminke:

you want ti you pay for the 2000+ buck it costs. i personaly would have liked to see the pz.4 austf.F but i am verry pleased w/ the 2 heavy tanks.

No one is suggesting that we go back and re-make the moulds, certainly not just for 1 piece.  It is just that we were TOLD that we were getting the Panzer III before the Germans were started.  Then the production pieces come out and it’s Tiger I and Tiger II with NO Panzer III.  We’re just venting our disappointment is all.  I’m sure we are all still going to buy the sets.  I know I am.  Personally, I am very impressed with the new Naval sculpts and the infantry and commander.

can you quote where it sais so.
    @Tigerman77:

No matter if people were told there was going to be a PzIII or not, the point is the 2 tigers being made don’t allow for different variant rules and can’t be used to properly represent different size tanks. Doesn’t seem alot of thought was put into the german armor. On the flip side all the pieces look great and the different units are a breath of fresh air compared to the OOB pieces. IMHO, probably should have done a light-medium tank.

the tanks are different. each can be easily identified as different. so there for assign one as a light tank and there you go. maby not unit aucurate but if it was wed have 1000s of molds
    FMG,

• Has anyone noticed that following those pictures ONE of the tanks is in the distance/background and FMG stated this was because it was to be revised?

I wonder … is this a revision to the Panzer III?  (Just a thought, as I could be quite wrong)

• i belive he said becaus it was too small. it was a huge tank so it should be a bit bigger than a truck

• maybe a panzer III will be released at the same time as the german soldier with a great coat

• @Lunarwolf:

maybe a panzer III will be released at the same time as the german soldier with a great coat

The best option is to make an “early war” set with light tanks, field artilleries and early aircrafts for each nation in global 1940, like pz III and IV for Germany, Valentine and Crusade for UK, M3 stuart and Lee for US, tankettes for Japan and Italy, T-26 and T-28 for Soviet Union, FT-17 Renault for French and Chinese army…

• Customizer

• are these aa scale?

• Customizer

are these aa scale?

A better qustion to ask is “Are AA pieces in scale to these?”

AAs pieces are not all the same scale.  Micro Armor made all their stuff in 1:285.  They also had modern military units as well.  It just happens that AA’s tanks happen to be close to this scale.

I bought their German half tracks, and they looked about right with the AA pieces.  Micro Armor also makes modern units as well.  Because its pewter, though, you have to paint them.  And they’re pricey.  Really good detail, but you pay for it.

FMG’s units are certainly a bargain in comparison.  I looked into buying their pieces to replace my AA pieces, but the tab would have been in the high hundreds.  But if you want to swap out some of FMG’s pieces, for say a panzer III or IV, then I’d go this route.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=micro+armor&_sacat=See-All-Categories

• Customizer

GHQ also did ship in 1:2400 bigger than AA BBs, but smaller than AA minis.  They did ships from WWI to modern.  I have some of these as well.  Well proportioned and highly detailed.

FMG is still a better deal, as 1 ship can be $10.  And at this scale, the big ships are too big for the AA maps.  DDs and sb will be fine, though.

• Good point.I too plan to use FMGs minis instead of 1/300 British made types.These are cheaper then GHQ/PFC(C+C) but lack some of the detail.The 1/3000 scale ships don’t fit in well with AAtypes either,but they do minis of most ships from the 15th to the 21st
    century.I recieved the new USN Freedom LCS last month along with some proposed WW2
    Soviet hybrid BB/CVs!

• What nation is next after Germany comes out?

• '10

@spartan:

What nation is next after Germany comes out?

USA

• I know you have a lot on your plate FMG. Just curious if you have started on the USA yet. Thanks

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m