Re: Field Marshal Games Pieces Project Discussion thread

• '10

@d142:

i would defeinitely purcase a set, over 1000 pieces for $59.99, that is a reasonable price tag,
    are the pieces of the same durability as the avalon hill set, i hope that they are not too stiff and rigid that they break at the slightest knock, i would be very concerned to know the color scheme, if the pieces are of bright cartoony hew, that is harsh to the eye when under a spotlight, i would not be interested,
    i have seen other attempts to craft similar copy’s of the axis and allies pieces, and i have not been impressed,
    although i have seen the field marshall games dice at the website, and they are of a good quality,
    however, for me to indulge a pre-order scheme, i would have to see some examples of this new endeavor,
    i would imagine that a set of mold’s would take time to make to a high standard,
    what sort of a guarantee do you offer the investor,
    i would not like to be swindled, and i would not part with my $59.99 at the whisper of a mold, and some free dice or somesuch

Colours will match COMBAT DICE colours.  The quality will be BETTER than Avalon Hill (These will be the best or we will not bother). Each unit will have a new detailed sculpt.  For those out there that know us, Im sure they can tell you we are honest.  We will refund 100% if the interest is not there and offer something to those who tried to help the project.  There is nothing to loose in this deal.

• @FieldMarshalGames:

Colours will match COMBAT DICE colours.

Thanks for that info.  Has a colour for Italy been chosen?

CWO Marc

• i would not be one to accept something for nothing, if i invest in the scheme and it is not a success, a refund would suffice

• I would order a complete set.

• Great idea!  I’m 100% behind this project!  :-D :-D :mrgreen:

I want at least one set (~$60) for me – possibly  more as stocking stuffers. 
    I wouldn’t mind preordering either as long as we have a safe, legal system in which to do it. 
    I know FMG is honest, but sometimes orders get lost/misplaced and people forget. ;)

3 Task Force Markers (Like Pacific)

For the unenlightened, what are Task Force Markers?

• For the unenlightened, what are Task Force Markers?  <<

Rectangular blue plastic markers, numbered 1 to 6, with a round hollow space into which you can insert a national identity marker.  They are used to represent a whole group of ships on the board without creating crowding.  The ships themselves are positioned off the board.

CWO Marc

• Plastic blue rectangles so if you got a large fleet you use it rather than fit a ton of plastic in the sea zone. Some players use them for tricks to hide the fleet. I suppose they could be integrated as house rules so you have to search a fleet before you can attack it.

• '10

@TG:

Great idea!  I’m 100% behind this project!   :-D :-D :mrgreen:

I wouldn’t mind preordering either as long as we have a safe, legal system in which to do it. 
    I know FMG is honest, but sometimes orders get lost/misplaced and people forget. ;)

We will take orders through Paypal (you can pay with Credit Card in PayPal also).  This way the buyer is 200% protected.  You can charge back/dispute charges in Paypal to get your money back OR reverse charges with your Credit Card Company.  Paypal protects the BUYER more than the VENDOR.  If you can not use PayPal we can make other arrangements with you.

You are not insulting my honor, BUT every owner of COMBAT DICE or member who has purchased an AAA game off us can tell you we only deal in QUALITY PRODUCTS.  We LIVE and DIE by the AAA community and messing this up would be company suicide as AAA.org gave us our start and maintaining our rep here is essential to the continuance of our company and the AAA products we want to continue to make.  We have NEVER had a negative review or charge back from a customer on this board, BGG, Europe in Flames or anywhere.

Aaron from FMG is making a special page which I will post on Sunday where you can make your pre-purchase and invest in this project.  If for ANY REASON the project does not take off we will 100% refund the pre-orders with our apologies.

We are only asking for pre-orders due to the HUGE cost and risk involved in making these as we are a GAMER BASED company…  not millionaires.

Thank you

Jeremy

• Count me in for one. I loves me more pieces!

• Field Marshal,

You can make the pieces any color you want, cause I’ll be painting mine (well my son’s) pieces anyway.  Just kidding … I’d rather start with the base colors anyway.  It takes a long time to paint them little guys.

As far as making marines and stuff, I would look at it another way.  We already have a set (sets?) of AA pieces, so these new pieces can become the “elite” units and we can keep using the former units as the regulars if that suits you.  My question, as I said before is no small matter, was posed because my Chinese pieces are just Red Russians and I don’t have but one UK soldier, and I think they could benefit from two, especially for Pacific.

The new Task Force markers could be smaller than the Pacific ones and could have little waves and wakes behind the ships instead of a shiny smooth blue plate.  Then they look better when I paint them, too.  It would be nice if they had a different ship pattern than the Pacific set too.  Could they have different numbers than 1 thru 6?  I know some folks will be confused by that, but those of us with Pacific will appreciate it.

For that matter, would it be too difficult to make up “Army markers” with a flat plate containing small vehicle shapes, a spot for a country marker and a Roman Numeral format?  Then I could have Patton’s Third Army marching to Berlin.  Another crazy idea would be to have a set of small flags for these markers instead of roundels.

I think I’ll shut up before this project costs $200 a set.  Thanks for taking this up.  I hope it works out great for you.

• '10

@dinosaur:

Field Marshal,

You can make the pieces any color you want, cause I’ll be painting mine (well my son’s) pieces anyway.  Just kidding … I’d rather start with the base colors anyway.  It takes a long time to paint them little guys.

As far as making marines and stuff, I would look at it another way.  We already have a set (sets?) of AA pieces, so these new pieces can become the “elite” units and we can keep using the former units as the regulars if that suits you.  My question, as I said before is no small matter, was posed because my Chinese pieces are just Red Russians and I don’t have but one UK soldier, and I think they could benefit from two, especially for Pacific.

The new Task Force markers could be smaller than the Pacific ones and could have little waves and wakes behind the ships instead of a shiny smooth blue plate.  Then they look better when I paint them, too.  It would be nice if they had a different ship pattern than the Pacific set too.  Could they have different numbers than 1 thru 6?  I know some folks will be confused by that, but those of us with Pacific will appreciate it.

For that matter, would it be too difficult to make up “Army markers” with a flat plate containing small vehicle shapes, a spot for a country marker and a Roman Numeral format?  Then I could have Patton’s Third Army marching to Berlin.  Another crazy idea would be to have a set of small flags for these markers instead of roundels.

I think I’ll shut up before this project costs $200 a set.  Thanks for taking this up.  I hope it works out great for you.

Just wanted to let you know that your request for multiple INFANTRY types is being considered.  It is just a question of sculpts at the moment.  We will be making the TASK FORCE markers different from the Pacific set.  We have also considered the LAND ARMY Marker because I know some spaces on the boards are to small for LARGE ARMIES.  This is all being taken into consideration.

Im sure you know this will not be the last FMG special AAA project so there is always room in the future for other units / accessories if the projects break even and pay for themselves.

• I am in favor of redoing the entire army line because FMG will now be in a position to supply any game company with pieces for multiple game projects. I think people who cannot get past the hurdle of getting proper pieces made can now step up and make games complete by buying lots of sets and reselling them. This will improve the hobby and raise the standard of quality because a new clear choice is now available, when before people were stick buying just AA pieces, but these will be better and WOTC will have to now answer to the people for reckless decisions and cant horde the piece market like a czar.

So FFG is a restoration movement for choice given the current choice is WOTC or nothing, because frankly Xeno pieces are an abomination.

I hope they do an assortment of pieces for Napoleonic, American Civil War, and WW1.

• I would buy two sets for sure, and if all goes well with my promotion possibly four sets.  I really would like to see this succeed.  I’ll try to hit up some of the hobby stores I frequent and get the word out and wherever else I know AA players congregate.

• if the project is a success, would there be one print of these pieces, or would the sets be available at the field marshall games website

• '10

@d142:

if the project is a success, would there be one print of these pieces, or would the sets be available at the field marshall games website

We will carry them on our site also.  This is a “community” project so it will start here.  The on site price may be higher dependent on final cost.  The AAA.org pre-order price will be $59.99.

• that is a very alluring offer,
    when can i expect to see sample’s of the market place product,
    i would think that a project of this scale would take month’s to complete,
    have the pieces been sculpted yet, i would think that the factory would need a large order for a set that includes up to 100 different sculpts,
    i would be happy to invest in such a project,
    however, i would prefer to see some ground work before i would invest,
    what i would like to have in place before i would invest would be a estimate of the number of investors,
    if the interest was sufficient, the project could be guaranteed by the pre-order, if there were enough interested would-be investors the crediting of the project would be less of a risk, and that would save a lot of work to refund the investors if the cost of the project could not be achieved,
    i am not one to credit something without a guarantee of a refund, or a finished product,
    i.e. a new set of boardgame pieces,
    i think that it is a great project, and i hope that it is successful,
    i would think that there are thousands of board gamers who would jump at the opportunity to have a finely detailed, durable, and classy set of pieces manufactured to a high standard,
    i checked out the dice at field marshall games, correct me if i am wrong, i think that the russia dice were pink,
    i would not buy pink toy soldiers, and to have to paint them would be a chore, one set painted, the other set not,
    i would not be one to pay $59.99 for a finished marketplace product and have to spend 1-2 years painting the pieces before i could play with them,
    i am not a good miniature painter

• @TG:

For the unenlightened, what are Task Force Markers?

• I’m a lock for one set.  Likely buy 2-3.

• I’m in for one set…. possibly two

• I will definitely buy at least one set if the quality is what I am currently expecting it to be. 8-)

However, I do need more information from FMG first, (although I realize you/FMG may not yet be in a position to supply said information):

• What units have been ultimately chosen for each unit of each nation?

• How many moulds, if any, will have to be shared, and which ones for which nations?

• What level of detail can actually be expected (although I assume from this thread higher than the current plastic units)?

• What quality plastic can be expected (although I gather from this thread that it is at least as good as that of WoTC?

• What will the colours look like when applied to the actual plastic from which the units will be made? Will they look exactly as the colours of the dice, including appearance in terms of hue and lightness?

• What colour has been chosen for Italy?

• Will our discussion re unit choices be factored in your actual choice of units for the set?

And of course, eventually, I would like very much to see a prototype or prototypes of some type.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m