Re: Field Marshal Games Pieces Project Discussion thread

• OMG! speechless in admiration of the new pic’s!
    Thoes426 :evil:

• France = a good portion sten if i can rember corectly

knp: The Free French used all manner of UK/UK weapons, the French resistence used many, many stens (it was almost kinda the standard air-drop to the resistence forces gun, as they were cheap and plentiful and light.)  If, however, you’re looking for a genuine French, used by regulars in the early war weapon…
    There was at least one French smg, FYI, the MAS 38

btw, little piece of fun trivia: the pre-revolutionary French navy had a rather interesting naval jack: a plain white flag.  (No joke, they really did!)

mas38_2[1].jpg

• FMG: Interesting choice, going for the “Pocket Battleship” as a cruiser.  Now we definitely have to have a Dunkirque Class French battlecruiser to respond to it!  (…and a Richelieu Class BB to respond to the Bismark…)  That’ll at least give the French SOMETHING useful to do past turn 2…

• you do have a destroyer as well dont you FMG?

• '10

@cminke:

you do have a destroyer as well dont you FMG?

Yes we do.  More pictures will follow soon.

• Customizer

Dr Larsen,
    Thanks for the info and pic on the French sub machine gun.  That’s cool.  It looks like a strange mix between a Thompson and a German Schmeiser.

Cminke,
    Thanks for the info on the Italian (I should have figured it was barreta, duh.) and Japanese SMGs.  I have to disagree with you on the Chinese though.  They were getting a ton of stuff from the US through Lend-Lease and I’m sure they got a lot of Thompson SMGs among other things.  Well, at least the Nationalist Chinese.  I don’t think the US did much for the Communist Chinese as there was distrust of Communists by the Western powers all along.

• Hey knp:

I’m going to try and attach a picture of that Beretta smg too.

Incidently, you’re right about the nationalist Chinese using the Thompson.  There were even copies made in some Chinese arsenals (though I’m not sure if they were quality licensed copies.)  In fact, the desire to have pistols and smg’s in the same caliber even caused one Chinese warlord to make a .45 version of the Broomhandle Mauser, of all things!  Here’s the Wikipedia article FYI:

Shansi Type 17 (.45 ACP)

During the Warlord era of Chinese History in the early 20th century, the province of Shansi was ruled by the warlord Yen Hsi-shan, who had established a modern arms factory in his capital city of Taiyuan. Yen was equipping his troops with a locally produced copy of the Thompson sub machine gun, chambered for the .45 ACP cartridge, but was experiencing supply difficulties as his troops’ sidearms were 7.63mm calibre C96 handguns.[18]

His solution was to produce a .45 ACP calibre version of the C96, thus standardising ammunition and making supply easier.[18] Designated Type 17, production on the .45 calibre handgun began in 1929 at the Taiyuan Arsenal. They are inscribed (in Chinese) “Type 17” on the left hand side of the gun, and “Republic Year Eighteen, Made in Shansi” on the right hand side.[18] They were issued (along with Thompson SMGs) to railway guards in the province as defence against bandits and other warlords.

Besides being chambered for a larger cartridge, the Shansi .45 pistols are noticeably bigger than their 7.63mm counterparts, with the 10-round magazine extending below the trigger guard. It was loaded using two 5-round stripper clips rather than the single 10-round stripper clips of the standard 7.63mm Mauser.

Most of the Shansi .45 pistols were melted down after the Communist victory in the Chinese Civil War, largely due to their odd calibre for Communist Regulations, but a few examples were exported overseas for sale on the commercial market.[18] Approximately 8,500 Shansi .45 calibre Broomhandle pistols are believed to have been produced by the Taiyuan Arsenal, but there is some debate as to how many of the Shansi .45 calibre Broomhandle pistols currently on the commercial market were actually produced for Yen’s troops, and how many are more recent productions for the US collectors’ market.

beretta38a_2[1].jpg

• Yes!

FMG, the Eastern Front German sculpts look great. I would love to see what member AllWork could do with these.

Will we be getting a Field Marshal for the German commander Unit?

Yip Yip Yipee!

• Customizer

FMG…WOW!!!  Those German units are AWESOME!!!

Can’t frickin’ wait!!!

• is it just me or does any one else aggree that the head is a little big??? i just want to point this out sience we want perfact pieces

• @cminke:

is it just me or does any one else aggree that the head is a little big??? i just want to point this out sience we want perfact pieces

You’ve pointed this out 3 times now and nobody has said anything about it.  I assume that means that they don’t agree.

I think it looks perfectly fine.  The overcoat is going to make things look a little off i think.

• ok i just wanted to make shure.

• TripleA '12

I agree with cminke. I think the German Infantry head is too large. The Italian Infantry head is perfect but the German is way too big. I made a quick picture to compare the two:

Heads.jpg

• well i think the german infantry with the overcoat looks bloody brilliant!

what are the ship classes/types for the german ships?

• the coat is great but the head… oh do i need to say it again?

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

@cminke:

the coat is great but the head… oh do i need to say it again?

looks fine to me……but I have a large head…so it looks normal to me!

• Everything south of the head is fine - the head is a bit big though.

• Man you guys are picky… I think the head looks fine.  Let’s not slow down this project anymore, I’ve been waiting for these pieces for almost a year now.

• I absolutely admire the enormous, costly project FMG is taking on here.

I would like to financially support this endeavour by pre-ordering, however it seems that pre-ordering individual sets at the premium rate will likely cost me a lot more in the long run than waiting for the entire package. Why should early adopters pay a premium over people who sit back and wait for the entire collection?

Would it not make more sense to accept pre-orders for the whole package (more money up front), than to try and work in stages? This is also a greater incentive for people to support the project early. Even at the individual pre-order rate of $30/set + shipping it looks like the collection will cost over $200. At regular price $40/set, that’s well over $250! I love the game but I just think that will put too many people off from buying what is essentially plastic bling.

I thought the original $60/set seemed a bit low. In my opinion the $100-120 price point shouldn’t be too unreasonable. At the $120 price point you would be getting 4 out of 6 countries worth of income (at the current $30) up front per person, not bad if you ask me…

• When do early adapters not pay more?  Seems reasonable to me to charge more per individual set, and then discount a complete set.

But I see your point if the goal is generate income to fund later sets.  Offering a discounted complete set early would be a great way to do that.  The problem of course being from a business standpoint, the people willing to pay for a full set now are very likely to buy each nation incrementally, which means a loss of some income over the long term for FMG - but a gain of getting more initial capital (as well as capturing sales due to buzz, which may trail off as people lose interest over time).

Ah the joys of retail economics!

Also - the German’s head looks fine to me.  Hard to make judgments without better rez comparisons.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m