Re: Field Marshal Games Pieces Project Discussion thread

• Yea i need these pieces by 8/24 or latest delivery by 9/2/10

• '10

@Imperious:

Yea i need these pieces by 8/24 or latest delivery by 9/2/10

Yes IL that is a big 10/4 although I probably will not have my AAE1940 before 09/06/10 at the earliest.

• Customizer

Does anybody know how FMG will be shipping the Italian combat units?  Will they be loose in bags like in the A&A games or will they be on sprues like the pieces you get from Table Tactics?

• my prior orders from FMG has been well protected. so i am sure that they will send it in an armour as thick as a panther’s armour.
    deutschland uber alles. my king tigers will roll over moscow G3-G4

• I hope its a nice sturdy white box with grafics on the side. Decals on the corners and top will be fine.

• '10

@knp7765:

Does anybody know how FMG will be shipping the Italian combat units?  Will they be loose in bags like in the A&A games or will they be on sprues like the pieces you get from Table Tactics?

They will all be separated, and in a Newly designed FMG Felt bag for each Nation.  We use a different and more advanced/expensive production technique than both WOTC and TT.

• Customizer

Good to hear. I cant even express how excited I am about Next week. First AAE40 then FMG Combat Units!

Thanks for all the hard work on this project FMG. You service to the ASA community is unmatched.

• Customizer

@FieldMarshalGames:

@knp7765:

They will all be separated, and in a Newly designed FMG Felt bag for each Nation.  We use a different and more advanced/expensive production technique than both WOTC and TT.

That is VERY cool.  It’s a PITA clipping pieces from those sprues.  I like the sounds of those new felt bags too.  Looking forward to seeing them.  Thanks so much FMG.  You’re the best.

• @FieldMarshalGames:

Wow - that’s Cool!

I’m not sure if this has been discussed but does the Armored Car have a turret that can turn?  The reason I ask is because in the picture it’s facing backward…

• Did a quick search, and the Italian armored car is pointing backwards.

Is there a quick fix, or are we locked into the current model?

• '10

@reloader-1:

Did a quick search, and the Italian armored car is pointing backwards.

I think you are incorrect.  This sculpt was made from SEVERAL Black and White pictures, an on-line WWII vehicle SPEC SHEET and an actual model.

• @FieldMarshalGames:

I think you are incorrect.  This sculpt was made from SEVERAL Black and White pictures, an on-line WWII vehicle SPEC SHEET and an actual model.

Is it an AutoBlinda 41?  If so than…. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AB_41.

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

@reloader-1:

Did a quick search, and the Italian armored car is pointing backwards.

I agree, the turret is facing towards the rear of the car.

• Uh oh.  I didn’t even think about that myself when I saw it… but now that I’ve searched it does seem to be facing the rear (despite half the pictures I have seen showing it face that direction, the descriptions that I’m finding specify that the low/long portion is the ‘rear’ of the vehicle … which would also be where the door on the side is located.

:|

• TripleA '12

Oh Sheet! I can’t believe we didn’t notice this before!  :oops: Crumbs, is it too late now FMG?

• Aha!!!

It is correct - the AB 41 had two drivers, so it does not have a FRONT or a REAR - it is a true multi-way armored vehicle.

Quote:

“It had six forward gears and four reverse gears, with a driving position at the front and one in the rear, so two crew members were drivers.”

• Customizer

Thanks for clearing that up reloader.  I also remember reading that it had drivers for either direction.  Plus, as far as I’m concerned, it looks cooler the way it is.

As for the rest of you guys:  QUIT TRYING TO DELAY THE PIECES!!!  We have all waited long enough already.

• @reloader-1:

Aha!!!

It is correct - the AB 41 had two drivers, so it does not have a FRONT or a REAR - it is a true multi-way armored vehicle.

Quote:

“It had six forward gears and four reverse gears, with a driving position at the front and one in the rear, so two crew members were drivers.”

Ah, good to know.  I kind of wondered why half the pictures you see have the turret one way, and half have it the other … yet in both pictures it seems/feels like it’s driving forward.  :)

• '12

@Rorschach:

@reloader-1:

Aha!!!

Quote:

Ah, good to know.  I kind of wondered why half the pictures you see have the turret one way, and half have it the other … yet in both pictures it seems/feels like it’s driving forward.  :)

Most armored cars in WWII had front and rear drivers (in fact I can’t think of any that didn’t, but I’m sure there is).  However as reloader mentioned, the rear driver only has 4 gears, not 6 as the vehicle is meant to drive the other way primarily (that driver has a much better view without the hood blocking it). Yes, the turret is backwards.  :-(

Edit:   The reason most armored cars had rear drivers is that they were light recon vehicels.  The look for the enemy and get out fast when they find him.  The rear driver comes in handy here as it lets the vehicle withdraw while keeping it’s front (with the thicker armor) pointed toward the enemy. The vehicle is not a “true multi-way” vehicle as reloader implied, it does have a distinct front and back by design.  The turret on the model is pointed toward the weak side as if the vehicle is trying to disengage. And even when disengaging it would probably keep it’s turret pointed towards the enemy unless it found itself surrounded. Unfortunate.

In the case of the well known photo in the link below (which I assume is the one some of you referred to), you will see the two on the left are turret forward and the one on the right is turret backward.  This does not mean either way is fine. It means the one on the right is the last vehicle in the group of 3 and is watching the rear when they are driving. It is still driving forward with turret pointed backward so no nothing sneaks up behind it. Sadly, this the only reason I can think of for this vehicle to be in this position, so place it behind your tanks on the board with the turret watching the rear of the column and the vehicle facing forward or get a really good exacto knife.  :-D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-526-2323-25A,_Balkan,_italienische_Spähpanzer.jpg

• '10

It is staying the way it is now.  As it can go either way and it looks cool the way it is….Im not concerned.

If this was brought up a month ago, I could have changed it.

I guess the Italians will be driving in four gears towards the enemy (with caution) and six gears in retreat (with haste)  :-D

AB41.jpg

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m