• I have to say Lazarus but I don’t think you’re being very objective in your application of historical evidence. Rather then create an image of a commander based on the evidence, your twisting evidence to fit the image you want. I think both of these men, Monty and Patton, were very over-rated and the evidence on had tends to support this. Neither was perfect, bot were human and both made mistakes when dealing with the fog of war. Patton for his hubris, arrogance, and just bullheadedness. Monty was no saint either and a claim could be made that while he was rather efficient, he was also overly cautious and most of his battle plans lacked any strategic boldness. He was so tied to his own concept of “war by timetable” that if his timetable was thrown off he couldn’t adapt. The only reason British forces even executed operation Goodwood was because Monty’s pre-Normandy plans were disrupted by poor weather preventing his planned landing of additional forces and supplies. I think that really shows how over-rated of a commander Monty was by highlighting his lack of adaptability.

Also, you can’t claim that Monty never suffered a battlefield set back with out mentioning Operation Market Garden, one of the few, if not only, time Monty put forward a bold offensive. It failed miserably and got the the British 1st Airborne Division destroyed.

• @Clyde85:

I have to say Lazarus but I don’t think you’re being very objective in your application of historical evidence.

Is it  always the case that people  pointing out your errors  are ‘not very objective’ but your figures for German losses during Goodwood (that you plucked ouit of thin air) are the height of impariality?

@Clyde85:

Rather then create an image of a commander based on the evidence, your twisting evidence to fit the image you want

Strange as it seems I think you have a grossly misinformed and very partial view of Montgomery.

@Clyde85:

Monty was no saint either and a claim could be made that while he was rather efficient, he was also overly cautious and most of his battle plans lacked any strategic boldness.

Yes. The overall ground Commander for Normandy, the man who planned it and the man who brought about the complete collapse of the German Army in France in 1944 lacked any strategic boldness !!!

@Clyde85:

The only reason British forces even executed operation Goodwood was because Monty’s pre-Normandy plans were disrupted by poor weather preventing his planned landing of additional forces and supplies. I think that really shows how over-rated of a commander Monty was by highlighting his lack of adaptability

Another example of faulty sources.
    Montgomery committed to print his ‘overall plan’ long before the first soldier hit the beach. The plan was always to pin the Germans in the east whilst Bradley pivoted and struck into the soft German rear. Countless documents confirm this and yet you still get ill informed complaints that Monty only said this after his ‘master plan’ was disrupted.
    His master plan was to be on the Seine in 90 days.
    He got there in 80 days.
    Goodwood was meant to be a 2  handed assault but Bradley was not prepared enough  to carry out his half and thus Monty was hamstrung from day one.

@Clyde85:

Also, you can’t claim that Monty never suffered a battlefield set back with out mentioning Operation Market Garden,

Another common mistake.
    Any attempt to counter the gross distortion of Montgomery and his performance in Normandy is immediatly turned into claims that you are defending his every act. I often wonder what drives otherwise sensible people to invent such an argument. I presume the lack of any real evidence to show Monty’s ‘failure’ compels them to use this straw man to save their blushes.

I liken it to Kurts argument. Anything you say that counters his claims is ‘opinion’ and every thing he claims is 100% cast iron fact and beyond and criticism!

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

What are we really debating here?

Whether Monty was good?  Or slow?  Or whether Pattons was more feard than Montgomery?

• @Gargantua:

What are we really debating here?
    Whether Monty was good?  Or slow?  Or whether Pattons was more feard than Montgomery?

I don’t know any more, I hate it when people get like this.

Case in point Lazarus you aren’t being objective, you’re being extremely pro-Monty, or an Anglophile or something. No one here is saying Monty is bad, just that his reputation in the post war era is inflated far beyond the ability and skill shown during the war, hence the over-rated title. You have made numerous claims about Monty that don’t hold up to scrutiny and any time someone brings this up you either accuse them of making things up or discredit their sources. I don’t know why Col. Von Luck wasn’t good enough, outside of you discrediting him for…… being German? Here’s a resource I know you’ll discredit too http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Goodwood but there are some numbers “pulled out of the air” for you.

While their are a number of point I could pick at there is really only one that bugs me, your assertion that Monty was bold. Montgomery was Not bold, save for one disastrous time. Look at his debut in North Africa against Rommel at the battle of Alam Halfa. Montgomery successfully repulsed Rommel’s attacks but rather then take advantage of the situation, he sat on his hands and waited on his timetable and for his precise specifications to be met before going on the offensive. A bold commander would have seized the opportunity to launch a counter-offensive before Rommel got the chance to reorganize his forces. To be fair, a previous British offensive, operation battle axe, was launched prematurely with disastrous results and no one can blame Monty for being cautious, but that’s what he was being cautious not bold. In Italy Monty continued to lead the 8th army moving up the eastern side of the peninsula. Though the British forces landed largely unopposed Monty continued a slow and methodical advance up the spine of Italy. Now a Bold commander would maybe have tried to keep the Germans from retreating in good order to the Gustav line, but that’s not what Monty did. In alot of ways Montgomery’s fighting style bares a striking resemblance to the contemporary French theory of battle methodic, slow, ponderous, and defensive in nature, in other words not bold.

I have already explained his failing in Normandy and i’m sorry but Operation Cobra was conceived by General Bardley and approved by Montgomery, not, as you suggested, created by Montgomery. I have presented my source as Col. Hans Von Luck for my information on Operation Goodwood and your explanation of why this source isn’t credible is insufficient. Operation Goodwood was a distraction operation to keep the Germans in place while the US executed operation Cobra, which was a costly British sacrifice. Monty’s failure to adapt to changing situations on the ground and break away from his beloved timetables caused him to fail to exploit the initial success of the British landings in Normandy and seize Caen right away, instead waiting and following his time table, which is why operation Cobra became necessary in the first place.

Then there is the whole Market Garden business where Montgomery ignored ULTRA reports and launched an airborne attack directly onto German armoured positions.

• @Clyde85:

Case in point Lazarus you aren’t being objective, you’re being extremely pro-Monty, or an Anglophile or something.

I have made no claims that Monty was  better /made no mistakes etc. All I am doing is  putting the other side of the argument when you give specific examples of any ‘failures’… What is significant is that you inflate this into a ‘pro’ view. Have you a problem with those who do not share your views?

@Clyde85:

his reputation in the post war era is inflated far beyond the ability and skill shown during the war

Perhaps you can referesh my memory and give  examples of where post war era  inflated claims are made.
    3 will do to start with

@Clyde85:

You have made numerous claims about Monty that don’t hold up to scrutiny and any time someone brings this up you either accuse them of making things up or discredit their sources.

You gave a German casualty total for Goodwood.
    I say that  number is totaly unsourced and has no standing.
    You have yet to source the numbers although I have asked you to do so.
    I gave you the official German 10 day casualty total up to 20 July.
    Tell me again who is making claims and who is posting facts?

@Clyde85:

I don’t know why Col. Von Luck wasn’t good enough, outside of you discrediting him for…… being German?

No for having a rather selective recollection.
    I posted details of a man who had access to recce photos taken of the area where Luck says he took over some Flak  of 88 guns.
    There are no guns to be seen.
    Draw your own conclusions.

@Clyde85:

Here’s a resource I know you’ll discredit too http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Goodwood but there are some numbers “pulled out of the air” for you

If you read carefully you can see the following under the German Casualty Total

Unknown total
    Further under the estimates you see:

KIA

2000 +
    and under captured:
    2500+

So those  figures are a base line with clear indications that the final total was greater.
    However you posted them as the final totals

@Clyde85:

the Germans suffered only 2,000 (though by the end of the operation 2,500 Germans had also be captured,

You deliberately missed  out the ‘+’ at the end of the 2 totals.
    So yes I still say your numbers are plucked out of thin air.

@Clyde85:

While their are a number of point I could pick at there is really only one that bugs me, your assertion that Monty was bold. Montgomery was Not bold, save for one disastrous time. Look at his debut in North Africa against Rommel at the battle of Alam Halfa. Montgomery successfully repulsed Rommel’s attacks but rather then take advantage

This is clear proof of your irrational downer on Montgomery. You are reduced to picking clear victories and then trying to claim they in some way were not as good as could have been achieved. A very churlish way of looking at things.
    It is like saying Patton performed badly in the Bulge because he failed to trap all the Germans in the pocket.

@Clyde85:

Monty’s failure to adapt to changing situations on the ground and break away from his beloved timetables caused him to fail to exploit the initial success of the British landings in Normandy and seize Caen right away, instead waiting and following his time table, which is why operation Cobra became necessary in the first place.

I think you will find every D-Day objective was missed-including the US ones.I can only repeat the words of the British historian Robin Neillands:

For example, why is it that when Bradley’s First Army took a month to cover the last five miles to St. Lô this is attributed (correctly) to the bocage and the enemy but when the British Second Army took as long to cover the six miles into Caen that is attributed to Monty’s “timidity,” “caution,” and “slowness”? The presence of seven German panzer divisions in front of Caen is usually left out of this equation

Now instead of ignoring the valid points in the above please launch yourself into an attack on the US Forces who failed to adapt to changing situations on the ground and break away from  timetables
    or if you are biased ignore it and  plough on with your myopic view of  Montgomery.

• Sorry, but you are wrong. It’s really that simple you are just wrong.

You take my words out of context, its rather convenient where you ended this quote
    @Clyde85:

the Germans suffered only 2,000 (though by the end of the operation 2,500 Germans had also be captured,

and yet leave out the other part of the statement which says
    @Clyde85:

so that could be considered more of an even exchange I guess).

which is a clear indication that I wasn’t leaving out the “+” sign, as 4,000 is greater then 2,000, until you add in the 2,500 prisoners, which would make it closer to an even exchange. You chose to ignore this or didn’t bother to read it at all. That’s fine.

This is also a rather interesting statement
    @Lazarus:

I have made no claims that Monty was  better /made no mistakes etc. All I am doing is  putting the other side of the argument when you give specific examples of any ‘failures’… What is significant is that you inflate this into a ‘pro’ view. Have you a problem with those who do not share your views?

If you’re not trying to be a Monty fanboy, then why are you so doggedly defending him? This thread is discussing over rater commanders of WW2 and yet you have offered no criticism of any commander, nor have you offered to defend any of the others discussed her accept Montgomery. You must be pro-Montgomery otherwise why would you be wasting so much time and energy? Your past posts in defense of Monty, and only Monty, belie any pretense of not favoring Montgomery. You are simply presenting the other side of an argument, but to what end? You seem more then happy to allow judgement to be past on all the others mentioned in this thread, BUT Montgomery. What other logical conclusion is there? All the evidence points to you being pro-Monty. That being the case, what am I inflating?

I don’t have a problem with people who don’t share my views, what I have a problem with is ignorance. Here is a nice example of that

You gave a German casualty total for Goodwood.
    I say that  number is totaly unsourced and has no standing.
    You have yet to source the numbers although I have asked you to do so.

@Clyde85:

Here’s a resource I know you’ll discredit too http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Goodwood but there are some numbers “pulled out of the air” for you

This seems like a clear contraction to me, you accuse me of not citing any sources for the figures on Goodwood and then show the link for the site I referenced the figures on Goodwood from? Wha…?? How dose that make any kind of sense?

@Lazarus:

Now instead of ignoring the valid points in the above please launch yourself into an attack on the US Forces who failed to adapt to changing situations on the ground and break away from  timetables

I already have, go back and read this thread from the beginning and you’ll see. That’s the difference here, I will readily state the men like Eisenhower, Patton, and especially MacArthur, were completely over-rated, and sacrificed the lives of their men to enhance their own personal glory, or that they had committed some other great Hubris. I think Montgomery was a good commander, competent if nothing else. However he is lauded as one of Britain’s best war time commanders and is certainly the most well known. I think this is an undeserved reputation and other British commanders from the war, like Lord Allenbrooke, or Bill Slim, deserve more recognition then Monty.

• @Clyde85:

I wasn’t leaving out the “+” sign, as 4,000 is greater then 2,000, until you add in the 2,500 prisoners, which would make it closer to an even exchange. You chose to ignore this or didn’t bother to read it at all. That’s fine.

If you look closely at the Wiki page you will find it only gives one number. 2000 to 2500 prisoners. It makes no guess as to the dead.

@Clyde85:

If you’re not trying to be a Monty fanboy, then why are you so doggedly defending him?

Well that depends if putting right your errors about Montgomery and his actions is now taken to mean you are a fanboy.
    I always assumed a fanboy would be more inclined to inflate his beloved hero-something I have never attempted.
    I see  nothing other than the usual attempt to discredit  anyone who challenges  the Monty bashing.
    @Clyde85:

What other logical conclusion is there?

That I am attempting to educate you in matters that so far  seem to have eluded you?
    @Clyde85:

what I have a problem with is ignorance.

That depends on  several things. The definition of ignorance  and the fact  that you  probably consider yourself  free from this vice……

@Clyde85:

This seems like a clear contraction to me, you accuse me of not citing any sources for the figures on Goodwood and then show the link for the site I referenced the figures on Goodwood from? Wha…?? How dose that make any kind of sense?

I have  taken a closer look and the totals on Wiki are actualy just prisoner totals. It says 2000 to 2500 German prisoners. It gives no number for killed. It seems we both misread the information. I checked the source (number 13) and can confirm it  only gives POW totals and makes but  a single reference to 18 dead.

• @Lazarus:

I see  nothing other than the usual attempt to discredit  anyone who challenges  the Monty bashing.

Monty bashing? This is a thread For bashing commanders, that’s like throwing a Woodstock concert to try to Stop hippies from smoking weed, it’s counter productive.

@Lazarus:

That I am attempting to educate you in matters that so far  seem to have eluded you?

How noble of you  :roll: I assure i’m not uneducated on the subject matter I’m just employing a more objective view on it. Monty was good, but not great and he could have done better as I pointed out. We’re not trying to view the subject from the perspective of someone in the moment but rather looking back at it with the advantage of historical hindsight.

• @Clyde85:

Case in point Lazarus you aren’t being objective, you’re being extremely pro-Monty, or an Anglophile or something.

The way Lazarus has acted in this discussion is, unfortunately, fairly typical for him.

[Lazarus has] made numerous claims about Monty that don’t hold up to scrutiny

That’s certainly true! Lazarus described Montgomery as

the man who brought about the complete collapse of the German Army in France in 1944

That statement conveniently ignores Patton’s contribution to bringing about that collapse. If one were to give Montgomery credit for Patton’s accomplishments–as Lazarus seems intent on doing here–then Lazarus will succeed in his goal of making Montgomery look at least as good as Patton.

From the Wikipedia article about Patton:

The Third Army simultaneously attacked west (into Brittany), south, east towards the Seine, and north, assisting in trapping several hundred thousand German soldiers in the Chambois pocket, between Falaise and Argentan, Orne. . . . Patton’s forces were part of the Allied forces that freed northern France, bypassing Paris. . . . .

General Patton’s offensive, however, came to a screeching halt on August 31, 1944, as the Third Army literally ran out of fuel near the Moselle River, just outside of Metz, France. . . .

Patton expected that the Theater Commander would keep fuel and supplies flowing to support successful advances. However, Eisenhower . . .  gave Montgomery and his 21st Army Group a strong priority for supplies for Operation Market Garden.[68] . . .

Patton’s rapid drive through the Lorraine demonstrated his keen appreciation for the technological advantages of the U.S. Army. . . . However, probably the key to Patton’s success compared to all of the other U.S. and British forces, which had similar advantages, was his intensive use of close air support; the Third Army had by far more G-2 officers at headquarters specifically designated to coordinate air strikes than any other army.[71] . . .

On December 21 Patton met with General Bradley to go over the impending advance: “Brad, this time the Kraut’s stuck his head in the meatgrinder, and I’ve got hold of the handle.”[79] Patton then argued that his Third Army should attack towards Koblenz, cutting off the Bulge at the base and trapping the entirety of the German armies involved in the offensive.[78] After briefly considering this, Bradley vetoed this proposal, as he was less concerned about killing large numbers of Germans than he was in arranging for the relief of Bastogne before it was overrun.[78][82] . . .

By February, the Germans were in full retreat and Patton had pushed units into the Saarland. Once again, however, Patton found other commands given priority on gasoline and supplies. Field Marshal Montgomery suggested deprecatingly that Patton’s forces be limited to holding a defensive line at the Rhine River. However, Patton had no intention of being left behind, and promptly began initiating several “reconnaissances in force”. The 5th Mechanized Infantry Division of the Third Army crossed the Rhine at Oppenheim on the night of March 22, 1945, thirty-six hours ahead of Montgomery’s Rhine crossing, Operation Varsity. To obtain gasoline and supplies, Third Army Ordnance units passed themselves off as First Army personnel, in one incident securing thousands of gallons of gasoline from a First Army gasoline dump.[86][87] Within a day, Patton’s forces had established a six-mile (10 km) deep bridgehead, after capturing 19,000 demoralized German troops. . . .

From 1943 on, it was clear that a consensus existed in the German Army officer corps that of all Allied ground force commanders, the enemy general they feared the most was Patton. Adolf Hitler himself was impressed by Patton, reportedly calling him “that crazy cowboy general”, and “the most dangerous man [the Allies] have.”[136] Erwin Rommel credited Patton with executing “the most astonishing achievement in mobile warfare.” [137] Generaloberst Alfred Jodl, chief of staff of the German Army, stated that Patton “was the American Guderian. He was very bold and preferred large movements. He took big risks and won big successes. Generalfeldmarschall Albert Kesselring noted that Patton had developed tank warfare into an art, and understood how to handle tanks brilliantly in the field. I feel compelled, therefore, to compare him with Generalfeldmarschall Rommel, who likewise had mastered the art of tank warfare. Both of them had a kind of second sight in regard to this type of warfare.” Referring to the escape of the Afrika Korps Panzerarmee after the battle of El Alamein, General Fritz Bayerlein opined that “I do not think that General Patton would let us get away so easily.”[138] Oberstleutnant Horst Freiherr von Wangenheim, operations officer of the 277th Volksgrenadier Division, stated that “General Patton is the most feared general on all fronts. [His] tactics are daring and unpredictable…He is the most modern general and the best commander of [combined] armored and infantry forces.”[139] After the war, General der Infanterie Guenther Blumentritt revealed that “We regarded Patton extremely highly, as the most aggressive Panzer-General of the Allies. A man of incredible initiative and lightning-like action.”[140] General der Panzertruppen Hasso von Manteuffel, who had fought both Soviet and Anglo-American tank commanders, agreed: “Patton! No doubt about this. He was a brilliant panzer army commander.”[141]

In an interview conducted for Stars and Stripes just after his capture, Field Marshal Gerd von Rundstedt summed up the predominant German view of the American general: “Patton,” Rundstedt concluded simply, “he is your best.”[4]

In a lot of ways Montgomery’s fighting style bares a striking resemblance to the contemporary French
    theory of battle methodic, slow, ponderous, and defensive in nature, in other words not bold.

I can’t argue with this. His attack from Egypt was launched only after he’d achieved overwhelming force. It’s much like the kind of attack General McClellan, of the U.S. Civil War, might have launched. If you happen to have overwhelming force anyway, there’s no shame in using it to attack. But these kinds of attacks are not typically interpreted as proof of good generalship. McClellan himself was later relieved of command by Lincoln.

After the conquest of North Africa had been complete, the Allies moved on to Italy. The Allied (and Montgomery’s) advance there was slow and plodding. Germany’s force in Italy was much smaller than its Allied counterpart. That small force was successful in trading land for time. Lots of time.

As you pointed out, Montgomery’s performance during the attempted Allied breakout from Normandy was uninspiring. He would later follow that up with the Operation Market Garden fiasco. On the other hand, he was calm and rational during the Battle of the Bulge; and provided good generalship there. My sense is that he was better-suited, by nature and temperament, to defensive battles, or slow, plodding offensives, than to rapid advances. From the Wikipedia article about him:

Eisenhower had then wanted Montgomery to go on the offensive on 1 January to meet Patton’s army that had started advancing from the south on 19 December and in doing so, trap the Germans. However, Montgomery refused to commit infantry he considered underprepared into a snowstorm and for a strategically unimportant piece of land.[citation needed] He did not launch the attack until 3 January, by which point the German forces had been able to escape. A large part of American military opinion thought that he should not have held back, though it was characteristic of him to use drawn-out preparations for his attack.

• @KurtGodel7:

The way Lazarus has acted in this discussion is, unfortunately, fairly typical for him.

Kurt. The man who has complet faith in Wiki and loves it so much he keeps  reposting  most of it here verbatim.

Take the following example:
    Clyde posts this (taken from the Wiki page)about Goodwood;
    @Clyde85:

British infantry supporting the operation suffered 4,000 casualties where as the Germans suffered only 2,000

And Kurt is so impressed he chips in:
    @KurtGodel7:

It’s unfortunate that no one in this discussion has offered answers to the kinds of questions you’re asking. The closest has been Clyde, whose posts and information about Operation Goodwood have been very informative.

Unfortunately the information is completely wrong. It is not correct. There is no  information about German dead and Cylde’s estimate is a simple misreading of the information on the Wiki page. Kurt believes anything that chimes  with his uber-panzer mentality!
    Anyway I wonder why Kurt reposts the same information that was so comprehensively demolished earlier.
    See here for a detailed refutation of all the points in his latest post
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=18537.msg794489#msg794489

If you prefer the short version then briefly:
    The Wiki article is referenced to third hand accounts that all are corruptions of the original quote that I gave here
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=16779.msg633151#msg633151
    All mention of  Montgomery had been removed and the quotes from the German Generals made to sound as if they were talking about Patton alone.

• Time for a reality check .

See the numbers and draw your own conclusions.

German armour confronting Allies by sector

Who had the better chance of making a breakthrough.
    An Army facing 25% of the german tank force or the one facing 75%?

If you were a German commander  and you concentrated 75% of your tanks on the  right of your line and 25% on the left does that give any indication of where you see the main threat against your army?

_“21st Army Group hurled itself against some of the densest concentrations of high quality opposition in the entire war. The importance of Caen as the fulcrum of events in Normandy was apparent to the German staff, and within days of the Allied landings, 21st Army Group was confronting 21st Panzers, 12th SS and Panzer Lehr around that disputed city. By the time of Epsom on 26 June, Dempsey’s 2nd Army was facing the deepest and most hostile opposition across the theatre, and arguably anywhere in Europe.”  _

and:

" why is it that when Bradley’s First Army took a month to cover the last five miles to St. Lô this is attributed (correctly) to the bocage and the enemy but when the British Second Army took as long to cover the six miles into Caen that is attributed to Monty’s “timidity,” “caution,” and “slowness”? The presence of seven German panzer divisions in front of Caen is usually left out of this equation "

• @Lazarus:

" why is it that when Bradley’s First Army took a month to cover the last five miles to St. Lô this is attributed (correctly) to the bocage and the enemy but when the British Second Army took as long to cover the six miles into Caen that is attributed to Monty’s “timidity,” “caution,” and “slowness”? The presence of seven German panzer divisions in front of Caen is usually left out of this equation "

Because Monty was an over-rated commander hence his inclusion on this list. He was only pulled from Italy for Normandy for political and propaganda reasons. Britain’s hero, victor of the El Alamein, Returns to the continent to lead the allied armies in the liberation of Europe. Sounds good and I bet it sold a lot of newspapers, but he was only in command to please British public opinion and boost moral on the home-front, which after nearly six years at war, was becoming a little weary. Only during the initial landings on June 6th were there an even number of US and British forces(5 and 5) and as the battles progressed US forces outnumbered their British counter-parts more then 4 to 1 by the end. This is why Monty was dropped as overall commander 3 months after the landing, which proves his appointment was for purely political reasons.

• @Clyde85:

This is why Monty was dropped as overall commander 3 months after the landing, which proves his appointment was for purely political reasons.� Â

Nope.
    It was always the case that Eisenhower was to take over command. The time was not fixed and the option was not exercised until September 1st-after Montgomery beat the Germans.

• @Clyde85:

Only during the initial landings on June 6th were there an even number of US and British forces(5 and 5) and as the battles progressed US forces outnumbered their British counter-parts more then 4 to 1 by the end.

June US Tank strength  1710
    June UK Tank strength  2666

July US    3407
    July UK    3828

Aug US      4379
    Aug UK      4297

Have another try.

• '10

SO tanks were the only thing on the continent?

Please tell more of these Montogemry victories. Do you speak of the one he finally got in North Africa with far superior forces against Germans with no supplies and no further reinforcements?

Or are you speaking of how he couldn’t get off the beachhead in Normandy then failed miserable at Market Garden?

Kind of hard to give him credit for El Alamein, then give him a pass everywhere else.

• @Col.:

SO tanks were the only thing on the continent?

No sir.

Manppower numbers

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-E-Supreme/USA-E-Supreme-E.html

UK/ Canadian 16 June 1945   1,072.717 Â

US  May 3,021,483

and the note on UK/Canadian  numbers says:

These statistics must be used with the warning that they cannont be the basis of comparison between the U.S. and British air efforts. U.S. air strengths listed in Table 7 inlcude the air forces both in the United Kingdom and on the Continent. The British forces in this table include only those on the Continent. Total British air force strength (including WAAF) amounted to 819,578 on 1 May 1945. Needless to say a considerable part of this force was used in the preinvasion period and during the campaigns in northwest Europe in support of the Allied campaigns

So if done on a like for like comparison we can say 1.5 million v 3 million

Who said 4 to 1 in Normandy again?

• @Col.:

Or are you speaking of how he couldn’t get off the beachhead in Normandy.

I think you will find he did because I saw photos of him taking the German surrender in 1945.

• @Lazarus:

Nope.
    It was always the case that Eisenhower was to take over command. The time was not fixed and the option was not exercised until September 1st-after Montgomery beat the Germans.

I must assume you are a barber because you sure do like splitting hairs. Also I am very impressed with you selective reading skills (I’ve heard of selective hearing and all though) as you seem to only read the parts of the posts you dislike and ignore all the rest. Though to be fair, I suppose I should have been more specific with such a delicate reader, US forces out numbered British force by more then 4 to 1 by the end OF THE WAR. The US had 72 divisions in the field by the end of the war out of a total of 85 allied divisions, a factor of more then 4 to 1.

@Lazarus:

Have another try.

No, you can try again now

• '10

I’ll think you’ll find that he as the only command at D-Day who failed to get off the beach and blame their problems on logistical failures.

• Also, I don’t think you should get to count Canadian forces under the British total as they were a separate and equal power in the war. Canada had its own Army and its own indigenous commanders who were raised and trained in Canada. Men like Guy Simonds, Harry Crerar, Andrew MaNaughton, and the men of the first Canadian Army were the one who led the breakout from Normandy and closed the Falaise pocket, not Monty.

And I think this really proves it. Here is an army and a group of commanders that gets over shadowed by the “British” war effort and grouped in with what Monty did, when in reality they should be recognized for their individual contributions to the war as Canadians not British and not Monty.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m