• In all the games of 42 I’ve played, the Allies have used a KGF strategy.  And for good reason, I would say.  However, I would like to mix it up and surprise my opponent by trying a KJF strategy.  Any suggestions for a good KJF strategy?

I guess the obvious things would be to build a large US navy on the first couple rounds to gain control of the Pacific, then amass a large amphibious force.  I suppose the Solomon Islands and Wake Island would be good first targets to set up airfields; then Manilla may be the next target as it would likely be the easiest capital to take.  Or, would it be best to go from Alaska right to the mainland?

For the UK, I think holding India and building an IC there to harass the Japanese would be paramount.

The main concern would be:  can the USSR hold off the Germans with only minimal support from the UK and US?  Also, would the US be able of helping in Europe at all, while mounting an effective Pacific campaign?  Would the US, for example, be capable of securing Africa?

Comments and/or suggestions?

• If you go KFJ you need to take first the Solomons then East Indies/Borneo with the US and be able to build an IC there and defend it from Japan. If that happens then the Japanese fleet is doomed because of the IPC drop from losing the islands.
    It is a hard strategy to pull it off. Usually Germany switches to try to take Russia and the UK might not have enough punch to establish a foothold on Europe. Above everything keep Africa away from the Germans (send the 2 transports there to offload US units) and only produce on the Pacific until you can force.

• Doesn’t KJF just about guarantee and Axis victory though? Germany can reach Moscow much faster than Japan, and once they take Moscow they’ll basically be unstoppable. Japan just needs to hold on and keep its navy alive for as long as possible. I was under the impression that you only go KJF if the person playing Germany is a noob…

• KJF is a viable strat in my opinion. I’ve seen it work many times. The best way I’ve found to screw them over would be -

RUS- move 6 INF to BURI
    Land 1 FIG in China

Uk - Buy 1 IC and 5 INF. - attack Borneo with 3 INF, FIG, Cruiser hit. AC takes out Trans. Attack New Guinea with 2 INF. Sub does whatever. Land Fig in China

If you win these fights which is entirely possible, Japan is already in a bind. US builds an IC to place in Sinkiang, an AC, trans and sub. Build pacific navy for two more rounds and move out by round 4. I have thought of counter attacking Pearl but I haven’t tried it yet.

Hope Russia can hold out, and for the first few rounds they can. UK buys only for the IC in India for rounds 2 and 3 and saves the rest to plop a navy down in round 3.

It is tricky, you just have to time it so the German stack on the Russian front isn’t big enough to take them down. As soon as the stop sending forces to the front have to concentrate on home defense, the game is almost yours.

• @Col.Stauffenberg:

KJF is a viable strat in my opinion. I’ve seen it work many times. The best way I’ve found to screw them over would be -

RUS- move 6 INF to BURI
    Land 1 FIG in China

Uk - Buy 1 IC and 5 INF. - attack Borneo with 3 INF, FIG, Cruiser hit. AC takes out Trans. Attack New Guinea with 2 INF. Sub does whatever. Land Fig in China

If you win these fights which is entirely possible, Japan is already in a bind. US builds an IC to place in Sinkiang, an AC, trans and sub. Build pacific navy for two more rounds and move out by round 4. I have thought of counter attacking Pearl but I haven’t tried it yet.

Hope Russia can hold out, and for the first few rounds they can. UK buys only for the IC in India for rounds 2 and 3 and saves the rest to plop a navy down in round 3.

It is tricky, you just have to time it so the German stack on the Russian front isn’t big enough to take them down. As soon as the stop sending forces to the front have to concentrate on home defense, the game is almost yours.

Cannot you only invade Borneo with 2 infantry?

Also, what’s the purpose of the 5 infantry purchase on UK1?

• @The:

@Col.Stauffenberg:

KJF is a viable strat in my opinion. I’ve seen it work many times. The best way I’ve found to screw them over would be -

RUS- move 6 INF to BURI
    Land 1 FIG in China

Oops, I meant to say French Indochina. I’m not a fan of the Borneo attack.

The five infantry purchase is to defend the UK homeland from the German transport that’s going to live if Russia doesn’t use the plane to attack the Baltic Navy, which if they are landing in China, they probably shouldn’t risk it.

If Germany didn’t attack your navy, say they went for the med cruiser with the sub instead, then you’ll want to be using those trans on round 1, most likely to drop stuff off in Norway or Africa. If you don’t plan on doing those moves and want to keep your navy alive, then you don’t have to buy INF. In fact, it might be better to be conservative and save 15 on round 1 and buy and Atlantic navy on round 2.

• @Col.Stauffenberg:

@The:

@Col.Stauffenberg:

RUS- move 6 INF to BURI
    Land 1 FIG in China

Oops, I meant to say French Indochina. I’m not a fan of the Borneo attack.

The five infantry purchase is to defend the UK homeland from the German transport that’s going to live if Russia doesn’t use the plane to attack the Baltic Navy, which if they are landing in China, they probably shouldn’t risk it.

If Germany didn’t attack your navy, say they went for the med cruiser with the sub instead, then you’ll want to be using those trans on round 1, most likely to drop stuff off in Norway or Africa. If you don’t plan on doing those moves and want to keep your navy alive, then you don’t have to buy INF. In fact, it might be better to be conservative and save 15 on round 1 and buy and Atlantic navy on round 2.

Thanks, I’ll give this strat a whirl.

• Let’s say you moved the Moscow ftr to China on R1 and you won Indochina with the 3 inf 1 ftr plus crusier bombard attack on UK1. That means you did not counter in Egypt, which means the German are totally free to blitz Africa. This will do the Allies in in the end. In addition, even with the Indochina forces taken out, Japan can still hit China with 5 inf, its bmr, the Japan ftr and the Manch ftr. Japan can still set up its shuck. Only now they will have to choose between giving up Manch to the Russians or surrendering Shanghai to the British. They’d probably save Shanghai and send their shuck over there instead of to Manch, so they can’t hit Buryatia. But Manch is a small price to pay for the sake of Japan advancing through China regardless and working to protect Shanghai, because Germany is strong as hell now. Japan’s navy is sufficient to keep the Americans at bay in the Pacific for a few rounds. I think a skilled Germany can reach Moscow quicker than the Allies can break down the Japanese defenses in E.Asia and/or the Pacific, and at that point it’s game over. I just don’t like KJF because it seems entirely too risky.

• '16 '15 '10

Fighter stack on China is too much of a sacrifice I think.

Realistically, in full blown KJF, Allies give up Africa for a few turns.  But if you get the Med fleet out early, allowing you to use air plus a few shucked units to secure it later.

It’s also possible to just play conservative with UK on round 1 and sometimes the opportunity for a USA Pacific offensive is there, and in rare cases perhaps a UK2 factory build.

• @habs4life9:

Let’s say you moved the Moscow ftr to China on R1 and you won Indochina with the 3 inf 1 ftr plus crusier bombard attack on UK1. That means you did not counter in Egypt, which means the German are totally free to blitz Africa. This will do the Allies in in the end. In addition, even with the Indochina forces taken out, Japan can still hit China with 5 inf, its bmr, the Japan ftr and the Manch ftr. Japan can still set up its shuck. Only now they will have to choose between giving up Manch to the Russians or surrendering Shanghai to the British. They’d probably save Shanghai and send their shuck over there instead of to Manch, so they can’t hit Buryatia. But Manch is a small price to pay for the sake of Japan advancing through China regardless and working to protect Shanghai, because Germany is strong as hell now. Japan’s navy is sufficient to keep the Americans at bay in the Pacific for a few rounds. I think a skilled Germany can reach Moscow quicker than the Allies can break down the Japanese defenses in E.Asia and/or the Pacific, and at that point it’s game over. I just don’t like KJF because it seems entirely too risky.

Germany can have some of Africa for the first couple rounds but steps can be taken as early as round 1 to stop them if you forgo the Egypt counter. It all depends with how much he won Egypt with. Say if it’s with one tank, you can fight with an INF and a bomber.

Every allied strat is dependant on what Germany did. Even still, with such a head start in Asia, the allies can divert forces back to Caucus from india. With no or minimal land forces and two factories, Russia never has to worry about diverting forces backwards. It is risky but any winning strat involves risk against experienced players.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m